Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gas pickup

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gas pickup
    Posted: June-25-2016 at 5:43pm
what does the fuel pickup tube look like? and how can i take it ouy of my 1980 nautique?
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 5:49pm
it come straight down from the top of tank to roughly a 1\2 inch from the bottom on the top of tank it has a 90 that attatches to an anti siphon valve to keep the line charged for easy starting .mine it welded inside the tank the 90 can be removed and pick up tube cleaned out .why would removal be needed,i did my 80 9n about 30 min ,cleaned an left to dry.
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 5:57pm
what happens is when the fuel gauge reads half tank i cannot get full throttle. it feels like it is not getting enough fuel. everything is fine until the gauge reads half full. i"ve replaced the fuel lines and filter. The Holley carb acts fine up to that point. I thought maybe the pickup had holes in it sucking in air when the fuel level was low. Thanks for the reply.
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 4:58pm
unless a severe case of corrosion caused the hole ,i cant see that being the issue.take the anti siphon off and clean it out.. since youve done line and filter ,that leaves trash in tank? or diaphragm in pump possible going bad ?or line from pump to carb ? or carb? if youve never taken tank out to clean it,id do it now. its not hard and then you can eliminate one more possible issue.. thats all i can think of right now. hope it something easy
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 7:13pm
do you have any tips on tank removal? thanks
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by roofer roofer wrote:

do you have any tips on tank removal? thanks

don't smoke?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 7:47pm
take back seat out if you have one ..you shouldn't lol take back wall out. take hose clamp of filler neck connected to tank .remove small lag bolts or screws holding tank to raised wood slats.2 per side. disconnect fuel line from anti siphon valve that attaches to 90 on top of tank. while your at it pull it off and clean with break cleaner while shaking back and forth till the ball is totally free..pull tank out and then remove sending unit wires..then pull tank out all the way.while your at it re pack the rudder packing.and check the condition of blower and blower venting tube. thats all i can think of.hope that helps
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 11:10pm
awesome,sounds easy enough. thanks.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 2:23am
One quick way to verify if the anti-siphon vent is plugged, is to simply open the fuel filler cap to the fuel tank. This will vent the tank.

Start off with the fuel filler cap in place. When you start to experience the symptoms of less than full throttle you are describing, open the fuel filler cap and see if the symptoms reduce. If that happens, then it's more than likely that your anti-siphon vent is plugged.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

One quick way to verify if the anti-siphon vent is plugged, is to simply open the fuel filler cap to the fuel tank. This will vent the tank.
JQ

JQ,
I feel you're confusing the vent line to the outside of the hull with the anti-siphon valve. The vent line allows air into the tank and the anti-siphon is a valve that looks like a small hose fitting located at the top of the tanks fuel line pickup. The anti prevents fuel from siphoning into the bilge if there's a breach in the fuel line running forward to the fuel pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 7:19pm
if the vent line gets clogged from a mud dobber itll run fine until it creats enough vacuum in the tank from the fuel pump,if you vent the filler cap thatll give you an answer on the vent hose or fitting being clogged,
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 11:42am
How about we start with a pressure gauge and actually diagnose this as a fuel problem.
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 7:49pm
Thanks for all the replys. I just took the boat out and sure enough at half tanksame b.s. took the filler cap off and no change. i did put a fuel pressure gauge on, but didnt think to check that. i think im just going to remove the fuel tank and clean. I was told that if the fuelv pump was bad it would just quit all together.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

JQ

JQ,
I feel you're confusing the vent line to the outside of the hull with the anti-siphon valve. The vent line allows air into the tank and the anti-siphon is a valve that looks like a small hose fitting located at the top of the tanks fuel line pickup. The anti prevents fuel from siphoning into the bilge if there's a breach in the fuel line running forward to the fuel pump.

Good catch, Pete. I was thinking about a clogged vent line. Those have been known to get clogged in some unusual ways -- anything from leaves, to insects to dirt.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 11:21pm
well i removed the tank cleaned it out , though it was already in good shape. as far as i could tell there was no anti siphone valve. the pickup tube was also very clean . had the carb checked out by a pro, a few problems there. gonna put it a;ll back together and see what happens. i will also install a fuel pressure gauge. on ano6ther note, was going to install new manifolds that i had on my ski supreme that i no longer use. my question was would it be a good idea to use a torch and just cut off the manifold allen bolts seeing as just about half of them are fd up?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 11:27pm
Richard,
I would shy away from the torch. A friction cut off blade on the end of a die grinder (Dremel) is a good choice.

No anti siphon? Look closely at the fitting on the top of the pick up to the fuel line.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 11:35pm
thanks, that sounds like a good idea using the cuttoff wheel. the 90 degree elbow on top of the tank that connects to the feed line is open, nothing inside of it. i pointed a flashlight down the tube in the tank with no obstruction seen.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2016 at 12:51am
Did you pull the fuel pickup tube out & inspect it for pinholes? That would be the only cause that would make sense for a performance change at 1/2 tank.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic