Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing box replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing box replacement
    Posted: June-24-2016 at 2:37pm
I tried to search this topic with no luck.

Is it possible to change the stuffing box without removing the rudder? I know I need to get the shaft back a few inches to get the coupler off. Thanks
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 2:40pm
Give it a try, worst case is you do end up dropping the rudder if needed...
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 3:15pm
Is it possible to drop the rudder without removing the tank? It looks like a bitch to get to.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 4:55pm
I think I would drop the strut before going through the hassle of dropping the rudder.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I think I would drop the strut before going through the hassle of dropping the rudder.

this sounds way harder
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 7:31pm
Yea dont touch the strut. Rudder drop is far simpler
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 12:41am
OK thanks for the help.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 12:43am
Does the shaft coupler usually have to be heated to remove the shaft?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

Does the shaft coupler usually have to be heated to remove the shaft?

Dave,
No, it doesn't work for removing the coupling half. Both the coupling and shaft would heat up together so there wouldn't be any benefit from thermal expansion. Fine threaded rod about 6" in length between the two coupling halves and then a spacer smaller than the prop shaft diameter is used between the prop shaft and the trans output shaft works. There's a thread on it that I'll see if I can find. Heating the shaft coupling half is used for the install.

Here's one thread from a "google" search

Here's another using the long threaded rod and spacer

And a third that also talks about the ARE shaft system

Do check for shaft straightness especially aft of the strut. If bent, I highly recommend going to the ARE. Also if bent, it's easier to just cut the shaft just aft of the coupling rather than trying to reuse the old shaft.

BTW, why are your removing the shaft?? Bad worn stuffing box/gland from bad alignment??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 9:22am
The previous owner somehow cross threaded the packing gland nut. After messing with
the treads filing ect... I was able to get it back on but it still doesn't turn free by hand so I figured I would just replace the stuffing box.
I don't have any noticeable vibration but have not checked alignment.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 10:09am
Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

this sounds way harder

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yea dont touch the strut. Rudder drop is far simpler

Depending on year if you have to remove the tank as on my '95 I find it much easier to drop the strut rather than pull the tank.
I don't see why everyone feels the strut is some kind of mysterious object attached to the bottom that can't or shouldn't be touched or moved. I've done several between my two boats and a friends and it's not that big of a deal to line back up. A lot easier than fighting the filler hose on the tank and everything else it takes getting to the rudder IMHO at least
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic