Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why use a Thermostat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why use a Thermostat
    Posted: June-13-2006 at 6:13pm
This may sound like a trivial question but why do you need a thermostat in an inboard engine?

My Correct Craft engines start and run great without them and the engine temp stays around 85-95 degrees all season long. Folks used to take the thermostats out of there cars for the summer. It seems to me that it would be better for the engine to run at these cooler temps. Any opinions? Thanks!
Barry, South Carolina
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 6:53pm
My thermostat went out two years ago and I tossed it overboard and kept right on sking. I asked the board members your same question. The story goes something like this:
The engine is designed to run at a certain temperature range and the tolorances are based on expansion at that temperature. Too hot and things are too tight. Too cold and things are too loose and not sealing correctly. Or something like that. I figure they're cheap enough to not worry about it.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 7:36pm
I think you'll get better "gas mileage" with a thermostat and the motor can probably sweat on the inside if it runs too cool.
Tim D
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 11:25pm
the function of the tstat is to allow the engine to warm up before introducing normally colder water to the block. it allows for a more even displacement of heatthroughout the engine, fuel mileage may also be effected by engine temp.   hope that helps
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 8:54am
The mileage change is significant, I believe the longevity issue will be significant as well. Its not apples to apples but my explorer needed a new thermostat two months ago, I knew this because all winter I couldnt break 10mpg. When the new thermostat was installed i went back to 16mpg. Your going to get better oil flow and less wear when the engine is up to temperature, and it will run better, go to napa buy the thermostat it will pay for itself pretty quickly.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 9:47am
Engines are designed with thermostats for many reasons and starting is not one of them.

It is actually more important that you run a thermostat in a boat than in a car. In a car with a closed cooling system you will eventually get up to operating temperature as long as it isn't really cold outside. In a boat you have an endless supply of 60-80F lake water and you will never warm the engine up.

Engines are designed with thermostats for a reason(s).
1. The tight tolerances engine components are machined to are meant to be run in a certain temperature range.
2. When an engine is run at cold temps for extended ammounts of time components wear faster (i.e. cylinder & ring wear)
3. When and engine is run at cold temps deposits build up leading to poor performance
4. Running cold coolant temps runs to cold oil temps and when oil doesn't get hot enough to cook off condensed water you will build up water in your oil.
5. When oil is cold it is thick, this robs horsepower and reduces efficiency.

In a pinch you won't do any damage without a thermostat for short periods of time (i.e. emergency).....but for crying out loud install a thermostat. The engineers put them there for a reason.
RobG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 11:44am
Running without it may also foul the sparkplugs. I found this out the hard way with my wifes's minivan. (Long story, take my word for it.)
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 5:14pm
I,m convinced.....the tstat goes back in! There are two different tstats available for my ford engines. 140 degrees and 160 degrees. Which one would be best or does it relly matter? Thanks for all the help fellow Correct Crafters!

Boating with tstats in South Carolina.
Barry, South Carolina
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 11:13pm
Original equipment on old CC's was 140 (143 to be exact I believe). Everything in new(er) boats is 160. SkiDIM says PCM now recommends 160 for everything, saying that 143 doesn't allow the engine to get warm enough to cook off condensation.

I have a 160 in both my '79 and '02 and they work great.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 6:44am
Originally posted by RobG RobG wrote:

Running without it may also foul the sparkplugs. I found this out the hard way with my wifes's minivan. (Long story, take my word for it.)

That was likely from the smart fuel injection keeping the mix rich, thinking the engine was still cold.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
RobG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 12:02pm
GottaSki,
That makes sense. I did wonder how the plugs could get so badly fouled just from running the engine cold. I guess that wouldn't happen with a carbureted engine.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 12:05pm
it will happen whether it's injected or carburated
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 7:29am
I was thinking that a 140 tstat was for fresh water and a 160 was for salt water . I think I read that in a post a couple of months ago .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 9:29am
Thats backwards
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
wakesurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:17am
My boat constantly runs at 190.

I took the t stat out and it was a rusty and appear to be original...

I am on the fence about the t stat deal.

If so, I will go for a 143.

thoughts?

JUST-IN-TIME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUST-IN-TIME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 3:40am
160 will get the moisture out
www.switchbait.com
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:50am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by RobG RobG wrote:

That was likely from the smart fuel injection keeping the mix rich, thinking the engine was still cold.

In today's fuel injected engines, a T-stat change of even 15 degrees can significantly change the tuning of the engine. The ECU see's that the engine is running cooler or hotter and adjusts the fuel delivery accordingly to try and correct what it see's as a problem. It's fairly common in some applications to change out the T-stat when you start to mod the engine with things like cold air intakes, exhaust systems, high flow CATS and aftermarket ECU's. It inevitably means less fuel mileage though.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 12:34pm
carbed engine, it had a stumble on mashing the throttle, noticed it was running pretty cool. Checked and no theromstat, put a 160 in and stumble is gone because the enging is working at the designed operating temp.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 5:12pm

Bloom, I went to SouthEast CC here in Orlando the other day to get a new thermostat and impeller. They sold me the 143 degree, I figure they know best.
-Adam

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic