Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Start up after winter storage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start up after winter storage
    Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:01am
I finally found the time to get my boat out of storage. Installed a fake-a-lake from part advice on another topic here. Charged battery. New owner here with a 1993 and my first spring after my own DIY winterize. It appears I was successful in that process!

What's the best way to get the motor running. I short cranked it 5-6 times and it won't fire. Nothing seems to look wrong. Gas tank is full. etc. I think I got all the DA things covered.

- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 4:19pm
Check the big 3   Fuel - spark - air and it will start
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 4:38pm
keep cranking, the carb is dry
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 4:59pm
Or the gas has gone bad. See if it smells like gas or paint thinner.

My boats don't like to start on old gas after winter storage- usually takes a shot of fresh gas down the carb to get them to kick.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:06pm
Started mine yesterday. Gave it a shot of carb cleaner while cranking. Started right up, and ran long enough on carb cleaner to prime the carb. That's what worked for me, may not work for everyone.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:31pm
Ever since I started using pure gas with no ethanol, my life has improved considerably. Unfortunately I do have to drive 16 miles to get it, but for many that is close. I still use stabil. My old carb Supra was sensitive to old gas-- not so sure about the SS.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:42pm
Based on your picture, you have the Pro-Tech engine management system with a Holley 4160 carburetor.

If you cranked the engine and the fuel pump is working, you should have fuel in the carburetor bowls. Ensure that you have fuel by operating the accelerator pump. You should have a good strong double squirt down the bore of the carburetor. Another option is to dump a couple of Tablespoons worth of new, fresh gas into the carburetor bore and then crank the ignition. EASY on the raw gas down the carb bore as you don't want to over-do things and get a hydraulic lock in a cylinder.

The Pro-Tech system is known for failing and intermittent spark is a possible indicator. I recommend a spark tester (available at most auto parts stores). If no spark, you may want to consider a retro-fit back to distributor.

This thread goes into detail and has great pictures. Thanks to CCF member JPASS.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:45pm
Give it a pump of the throttle ever 4-5 cranks that way it gets a nice shot from the accelerator pump when gas hits the carb. If your impatient a little carb cleaner will crack it right off. Carb cleaner may also be necessary if you didn't stay bil the fuel and it's gone bad like Tim said. Usually won't fire off the bad gas but runs well enough once you spark up one of the cylinders.

Easy way to tell if the carb actually had fuel is push the accelerator pump arm down with your finger with the flame arrestor off and choke open to see if it's actually pumping any fuel into the motor. You'll see a steady double squirt into either side of the front two barrels.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:49pm
get your face nice and close when doing so
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:50pm
God that's funny
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Carb cleaner may also be necessary if you didn't stay bil the fuel and it's gone bad like Tim said.   

I will clarify that neither regular stab-bil nor marine sta-bil was effective for keeping my fuel from going bad over the winter. So do not assume your fuel is fine just because you treated it. Now I do not bother doing so and the behavior is unchanged. Usually good enough to run the engine, but not good enough to start- especially the first start of the season with old plugs and fogged cylinders. Fresh gas is the great equalizer.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Carb cleaner may also be necessary if you didn't stay bil the fuel and it's gone bad like Tim said.   

I will clarify that neither regular stab-bil nor marine sta-bil was effective for keeping my fuel from going bad over the winter. So do not assume your fuel is fine just because you treated it. Now I do not bother doing so and the behavior is unchanged. Usually good enough to run the engine, but not good enough to start- especially the first start of the season with old plugs and fogged cylinders. Fresh gas is the great equalizer.

To further, I never had problems starting with no stay bil over the winter until about 2 years ago. I did use it this season and it fired up just fine this spring. Tim has had issues no matter what so you might just have to live with it depending on your region and fuel quality etc. my layup is fairly short pending weather. Usually November-late March.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:31am
To start my 1993 I always splash a bit of fuel down the carb. She fired right up a few weeks ago on her maiden voyage for 2016. Ran like a champ after fiddling a bit with the idle speed (likely due to adjustments I made while running the boat at altitude last summer).
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:52am
Excuse my ignorance, but you just pour the new gas into the carb like when you fog for winterization? The difference being the engine isn't running.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by tjs1295 tjs1295 wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but you just pour the new gas into the carb like when you fog for winterization? The difference being the engine isn't running.

I use one of the old type oil squirt cans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 1:03pm
Thanks Pete.

Tom
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 11:43am
Thanks all. It's running sweet. I love V8. Gas smelled and tasted ok. I used stabil. It was just dry. I did the squirt in cab and poof. Face not to close..
Not poof like
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

get your face nice and close when doing so

but, boom like a V8 coming to life.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic