Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 2001 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 2001 owner
    Posted: May-21-2016 at 2:28am
Today I picked up a 1989 Ski Nautique 2001. I've been a member on this forum for 8 years... Took me a while.

At first I was looking at I/O boats, but ran across this and I couldn't say no. I am a little nervous as a long time boat user, but first time owner and first time using an inboard.

The boat and trailer are both in fantastic shape. 770 hours. Engine starts and runs like a champ. Original upholstery is 90%. There is a stereo installed that needs some cleanup work. It came with a new Acme prop, and the original. I plan on using the original for a bit until I feel comfortable. There is no winch or tie down straps, which I found odd.

I plan to buy a mooring cover from Nautique Parts soon. Does anyone trailer with a cover on?

Any tips? I'd take the encouragement!

EDIT: added pics on water --

1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 2:49am
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You know about the FAQ, right? If you have been perusing here for 8 years I bet you know more than you think.

And you know the rules: PICTURES!!!!

1. Put the better Acme prop on there.
2. There are lightweight covers that cannot be used while towing (sometimes called storage, mooring or dust covers) and heavier/more sturdy covers that are made to be on the boat while towing. Lightweight covers keep the sun, dust and bird poop off your boat. And they are usually quite cheap. Towing covers can be quite a few hundred. You decide what you need.
3. Tie-down straps are a state-by-state thing. I live in a state that requires them and even if I did not - I would have them. I want that boat tied down front and rear.

Pictures, pictures, pictures....
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 2:52am
And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet. But, you have been a member longer than me!

Welcome to the owners club!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 6:17am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet.

Doesn't mean he wasn't one of those lurker types for a couple years before he joined. I think Jbears brother Bill has the record for lurking before actually signing up.

Congrats on the new to you Ski and since you've been around awhile you are well aware of the rules around here.

Where are the Pics?

Inboards are the bomb and you'll thank yourself later for not buying one sooner!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 6:21am
Nate,
I too would like to congratulate you on your purchase of the 2001 and now an "official" member of the CCfan family. As Kevin mentioned, the FAQ thread in the maintenance forum is a fantastic resource for many questions but if you can't find an answer there, the group is always around to help.

The trailer is a "drive on" and the reason there's no winch. Many including myself have added winches. There are some areas that prohibit drive on loading since it erodes the ramp bottoms. It's a project you may want to consider.

Yes, pictures are a must!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 11:57am

And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet. But, you have been a member longer than me!

Hm, yes. I found Craigslist posting emails to my wife in my archives from July 2009. That means I probably was looking around and lurking at least a few months before that. I'm comfortable with 7-8 years since I was "enlightened" about the 2001.

Is the stock prop going to hurt anything? I'm worried about damaging this gorgeous $500 prop.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 12:05pm
You've done well, lad. From the pics, the boat looks to be in prime shape.

I'd go with the new ACME prop unless you will be boating in unfamiliar waters where bottom strikes are common. A good prop really does make a difference.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 12:24pm
Net,   Congrats and welcome to the glub glub glub Club.
I must say that is an attractive ski boat.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 12:45pm
Thanks for the encouragement. This was some of the best condition overall I saw in any boat (early 2000 I/O included) in this price range. It's age worries me some but the simplicity of the drivetrain seems rock solid.

I'll be putting it in lots of lakes I haven't boated, at least this year. At my parents cabin I'll feel more comfortable.

I want to remove those rear speaker boxes, there seems to be no carpet behind part of them. Did something used to be there?

The only open tear is between the spotter seat and corner cushion. Any quick ways to stop more tearing?

Do you all keep your batteries on trickle charge when not in use?

What are some must have tools? Prop remover? Any oil change tools?

The boat doesn't have hooks for rear straps. Just go over the gunnels?
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:22pm
Nate, that is a nice looking boat.
Welcome to the world of CC ownership. You will love that Ski!
As far as the questions:
1) Speaker boxes most likely "home made"
2) Not sure what I can recommend about the tear. Other than ordering a new skin from
   Christine's Marine (site sponsor).
3) I charge the battery at the end of the season as I lay the boat up for winter.
   Make sure you have a "good" battery that will hold a charge. Especially if you just
   bought the boat.
   Then give the battery a charge again before I hit the lake for the first time in the spring.
4) Tools: socket wrench for tightening hoses in order to prevent sucking air (after
    multiple hot/cold running cycle the hose clamps will loosen a bit). Screwdriver, other
    wrenches for tightening alternator and water pump pulleys and belts, etc.

Others will chime in with their thoughts and ideas.

Great looking boat!
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:23pm
Are the rear seat hinges still available anywhere? Mine are missing so the seat slides out.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:23pm
From the looks of the pictures I wouldn't be concerned with the age. Looks like it was very well cared for. Nice find!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:25pm
Not sure about the seat hinges. Mine is a 93
Check ChristinesMarine and Nautique Parts.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:26pm
Rear straps you'll just have to get creative,below is a pic of how mine was done. A battery maintainer would be good to have not only for occasional use but for winter storage too. A prop puller is a must along with a spare prop if just to save the weekend. A vacuum oil pump is nice to have,you'll find many uses other than just changing engine oil.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:42pm
Nice ride
Throw the acme on it and enjoy if it ends up like this order another put the throttle down and smile some more
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 3:12pm
Are the platform supports strong enough?
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 3:29pm
Beautiful boat- Congrats and welcome to the '89 Club!!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 4:05pm
Personally the straps are there for looks because States require them, all show for the benefit of Officer Fife. If you look at the old school boats,the Nautiques,Cudas, Mustangs they never had straps.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 5:51pm
Just barely fit:

Where can I find a spare wheel?

Pretty clean:

Behind the rear speaker boxes:

Worst upholstery spot:
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 6:23pm
Nice ride, welcome to the club.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 7:53pm
Tight fit in the garage for sure but a set of new removeable platform brackets would help you out in that situation.

The carpet behind the speaker boxes was cut to allow that extra 1/8" clearance needed to clear the speaker. The engineer of that modification should just added a spacer to the speaker itself instead of hacking at the carpet. You can just replace the whole sidewall carpet after a beter speaker install is done.

I wouldn't worry too much at the seams coming apart and the minor rips in the vinyl. Its a 27 year old boat so the vinyl is gonna show some wear. Get some 303 or some other protectant on it so as to keep it pliable. You can get several years out of that seat. Mine look like that and it's something that I can live with.

Nice Find!......Ohhhh and it looks to me like it's already got an Acme on it! Question is which one is it? A 540 or a 542?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Dschuh88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dschuh88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 9:10pm
Nice looking!!! Good find
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 10:56pm
Nate,
As far as the spare wheel goes. I found a white wheel at a Northern Tool store here in Georgia. Then spray painted it black. Sourced the chrome trim ring and was good to go.
Not sure where you live, but you should be able to find someone in your area that deals with tools, trailer hitches, trailer wheels, etc.
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 11:20pm
Very nice!
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Tight fit in the garage for sure but a set of new removeable platform brackets would help you out in that situation.

The carpet behind the speaker boxes was cut to allow that extra 1/8" clearance needed to clear the speaker. The engineer of that modification should just added a spacer to the speaker itself instead of hacking at the carpet. You can just replace the whole sidewall carpet after a beter speaker install is done.

I wouldn't worry too much at the seams coming apart and the minor rips in the vinyl. Its a 27 year old boat so the vinyl is gonna show some wear. Get some 303 or some other protectant on it so as to keep it pliable. You can get several years out of that seat. Mine look like that and it's something that I can live with.

Nice Find!......Ohhhh and it looks to me like it's already got an Acme on it! Question is which one is it? A 540 or a 542?

Who makes removable platform brackets?

I don't think the speaker sticks back that far... I wonder if they tried to do something else then covered it up? Truly, I never would have wanted a radio, but had to overlook this since the rest of the boat was in such good shape. I am brainstorming ideas for what I could put there. Maybe some teak goodie pockets with cupholders, then remove the lame black plastic ones.

It does have an Acme. It says 2068. Purchased through a local inboard dealer, so I would think it's OK. Looks like mostly a longer pitch than the 540 and 542. The seller was trying to make this boat go as fast as possible at 4500 RPM for 1 foot barefooting, but did not succeed.
http://www.propmd.com/acme-2068-12-50-x-15-000-1-bore-0-150-cup-3-blade-rh-propeller.html
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 12:23am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Nate,
As far as the spare wheel goes. I found a white wheel at a Northern Tool store here in Georgia. Then spray painted it black. Sourced the chrome trim ring and was good to go.
Not sure where you live, but you should be able to find someone in your area that deals with tools, trailer hitches, trailer wheels, etc.

These look very similar, not sure if the same. A plain white wheel is about half the cost though, and it's a spare.
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/15-x-6-Matte-Black-Aluminum-Trailer-Wheel-with-Machined-Lip-6x550-Lug-Pattern_p_2283.html#.V0EXXKukT6s

Here's another trouble spot I'd like to fill and patch at some point. I'd be fine doing this myself. Would I find the right goop at West Marine or something? It looks much worse underneath vs. otherwise...

Another pic of the trailer fit. It won't always be in there.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet.

Doesn't mean he wasn't one of those lurker types for a couple years before he joined. I think Jbears brother Bill has the record for lurking before actually signing up.

Bill did lurk for quite awhile but probably not 8 years....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 1:11am
Do not go to West Marine. Find out what the factory color of your boat is and go to Spectrum Color and check with them they might have something very close and if it's a little off it you can tint it. West marine would have something generic like a white and you would get to try and match color. Don't know your skillset do you have a compressor? guns themself can be cheap. Once it on and setup,you'll need to block sand it smooth then you'll need buffing equipment and supplies. Or you could find a place that does gelcoat repair and have them do it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 1:38am
I have compressors and a buffer. I've worked a little with epoxy, fiberglass, as well as sheetrock mud etc. No experience with boats though.
Sampson 182 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 1:52am
Welcome to the 2001 boat club I love the color scheme of Black/red/white. Its got to be my favorite next to Grey/blue The boat looks like its in top 10 condition by far. Any issues you see from your first look over?
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic