NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 2001 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 4:59pm
Tubing is the gateway to nothing. Perhaps it is even a reversion.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:21pm
True poser cuts down a sport or activity.
I went to college with Rick Anderson, look him up.
He was always #1 or 2 (3 event) in the us in AWSA Nationals.   We use to tube at school and wore jump helmets because we got crazy with 2 behind the boat.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:40pm
Our lake association is toying with a regulation to not require a spotter if you have a mirror. I doubt it will pass the board, but it did make it through the lakes and dams committee that I sit on. It is a local rule to need a spotter. NC rules are spotter or mirror. But our proposed rule says you still need a spotter for tubing since most tube drivers are rookies and need to focus on their job and most tube riders are young kids, and because tubers are out there when the lake is packed and because tubers tend to operate recklessly. I hope it passes, it will make my life easier for those quick evening or early weekend morning runs, not to try to track down a spotter. the new rule might affect about 6 of us on the lake, if that.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:51pm
Tubing, like surfing, is wildly popular because it requires little to no talent or effort, what bothers me the most about both is they leave such a giant "footprint" if you will, or have the greatest impact, I truly believe both are giving watersports somewhat of a bad rep.
I have taught countless kids & people to ski/board/etc. in my day and in the end it is far more rewarding for that person to come away with a new skill at the end of the day.
I would be willing to bet a majority here spent time riding or pulling tubes at some point in their life, like anything else sometimes you learn from your mistakes.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:52pm
Hey good luck Larry. That rule was written by some true posers!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:15pm
Just call me "Poser".

What cracks me up about surfing, is that they feel it takes a $140000 boat that you need to take a mortgage out on to do it. Since surfing is slow and dull and takes no talent, just skip the surfing part, buy an old used tuner for $3000 and drink your beer and play your tunes on that. I think I mentioned it once before, that my boat cost less than the speakers, not the sound system, but the speakers on a tricked out G23 at the local dealer. I don't think its bragging or a huge stretch to say I've got and demonstrate considerably more talent behind my 16 ft 40 year old boat than anyone who gets behind that G. I tend to pay more attention to whats happening behind the boat than the boat itself. The other day WLM posted a photo of their latest sale, a G25, Just for grins I imposed a to-scale image of my boat over it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:39pm
Agree with you 110% Larry. Trouble is now days it's not talent that is looked up to but appearance. Case in point the kardashians. Not to mention oh look I can play the radio real loud---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:56pm
You guys are violating the Planet Nautique site "TERMS OF USE".

" Show respect to other people using this board. No personal attacks or insults are allowed."

You are only allowed to compliment the people that took out a $150K mortgage to buy their awesome boat that use it for no talent required thurfing, pulling tubes, looking and sounding cool etc...

Whoops! wrong site. Please proceed with your comments.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:57pm
Tubing is fine as long as each ride ends in the ejection of all tube riders from tube...that's how you teach kids about tubing...you are at the mercy of the boat driver...dont you want a handle now? And to be able to steer yourself?
This is the life
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Just call me "Poser".

What cracks me up about surfing, is that they feel it takes a $140000 boat that you need to take a mortgage out on to do it. Since surfing is slow and dull and takes no talent,

I don't think that surfing takes no talent. There are very skilled people doing the sport and doing things most of us will never be able to do. I do agree that it is slow and dull.

I do wonder what this new Kelly Slater Wave costs to create and run (how many G25s would it take to buy and operate one, what does one wave cost). That wave is infinitely better then what you get behind a boat.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

You guys are violating the Planet Nautique site "TERMS OF USE".

" Show respect to other people using this board. No personal attacks or insults are allowed."

You are only allowed to compliment the people that took out a $150K mortgage to buy their awesome boat that use it for no talent required thurfing, pulling tubes, looking and sounding cool etc...

Whoops! wrong site. Please proceed with your comments.

I can't imagine making payments on a boat....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 10:08am
Sorry Tim, We hijacked your thread.

How about a pic of that 2001 on the water so we can get back on track!

1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Tubing is fine as long as each ride ends in the ejection of all tube riders from tube...that's how you teach kids about tubing...you are at the mercy of the boat driver...dont you want a handle now? And to be able to steer yourself?

Haha... so true. I love turning to the kids so... who wants to tube? No thanks Dad/Uncle Andy... I don't think my body can handle it... maybe a slalom, wakeskate or barefoot run.. but please,.. no tubing.

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 1:43am
If the nieces and nephews want to ski - then they ski . If they want to wakeboard then they wakeboard . If they want to tube then they tube . So be it . I like to let everyone create their own individuality NOT to be FORCED into my own likes or dislikes . With that being said , I am extremely cautious that safety is first and foremost and I am very cautious to all of the other boaters out there ( kayakers , skiers and fisher people alike ) . At the end of the day , if my nieces and nephews are smiling and safe - then it was a good day on the water .
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 3:12am
+1
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 11:54am
And if they want to smoke cigarettes and drink beer that's A.O.K. with me, whatever makes them happy.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:06pm
Who's Tim?

I'm Nate.

:)

I'll try to get on water pics. Gorgeous sunset cruise on Thursday with my son. We had to test top speed. 45mph at 4500 rpm with 230 lb in the boat, and switched back to the Acme 2068.

Do you all use low freeboard boat fenders for these boats? Where do you attach them?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And if they want to smoke cigarettes and drink beer that's A.O.K. with me, whatever makes them happy.

+1
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:27pm
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:31pm
Nate,
My boat came with 2 Two-Eye Cylindrical fenders. I attached a small loop with a carabiner on one end, then when I attach the mooring line to the cleats, I clip the fender inside the mooring loop so it stays next to the boat at cleat height. I've tried different ways, but so far this has proven to be the best and quickest setup for us. I don't generally take pics of it, but next time we go out i can take one.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:34pm
Also, you need to contact Marty Mabe to get "Performance Engineered For" plaques.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Who's Tim?

I'm Nate.

:)

I'll try to get on water pics. Gorgeous sunset cruise on Thursday with my son. We had to test top speed. 45mph at 4500 rpm with 230 lb in the boat, and switched back to the Acme 2068.

Do you all use low freeboard boat fenders for these boats? Where do you attach them?

Don't know about nautiques but a southwind has support struts up out of sight under the gunwales. My slim fenders are permanently tied to these struts at perfect length and stowed tidily in the side compartments; when needed we just throw 'em out and they fall right into place.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:58pm

I removed the rear boxes and removed the head unit in the dash.

I have to figure out how to cover the holes in the carpet on the sidewalls. Should I re carpet? That sounds difficult to get right. Is matching carpet still produced or would I have to re carpet the whole cabin?

Should I make baskets in the back out of teak? Or is that just making it worse? I do NOT want speakers there. 2 in front is plenty.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 1:13pm
Just find some grey carpet and patch the spots.   You'll probably be the only one who notices.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Just find some grey carpet and patch the spots.   You'll probably be the only one who notices.

I'm far too particular for that. :)

Will the stern light socket work with any generic light pole? Nautique parts has the 1989 version as discontinued.

Full of questions today. Is the worn center of the hull from beaching a water seepage concern? I will fix it eventually but I'm not sure how urgent it is.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

Nate,
My boat came with 2 Two-Eye Cylindrical fenders. I attached a small loop with a carabiner on one end, then when I attach the mooring line to the cleats, I clip the fender inside the mooring loop so it stays next to the boat at cleat height. I've tried different ways, but so far this has proven to be the best and quickest setup for us. I don't generally take pics of it, but next time we go out i can take one.

I like this. I think I get what you're saying. I ordered 2 fenders and a 20' line. I don't have any cleats on the boat so I'll use the lifting rings.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Haha... so true. I love turning to the kids so... who wants to tube? No thanks Dad/Uncle Andy... I don't think my body can handle it... maybe a slalom, wakeskate or barefoot run.. but please,.. no tubing.

That's my new approach to convincing them to ski.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 2:33am
I filled up to the top today and discovered a new issue. The gas gauge has seemed to be working before (about 3/8 tank, which was accurate), but now it sits on 0. I spent a good hour trying to find an obvious problem but no luck, I don't have any experience with it. Also still can't figure out why the horn doesn't work (I know it's not that important).

The dash is really hard to get out of once you get in there...

Busy lake today, and the water is still chilly, but the kids loved the swim platform.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 6:51am
Nate,
Since the gauge worked at the lower end, it sounds like a sender issue. To rule out the gauge, remove the sender wire off the tank sender and ground it. The sender wire will be the wire attached to the terminal on the sender. The ground will be the round mounting plate of the sender. The gauge should peg to max. If so, the gauge is good and confirms the problem is the tank sender itself. Replacing the sender is easy but in most cases requires the tank to be pulled forward so the sender can be removed vertically. The sender is a linear resistor (potentiometer) and they can after sitting get a slight layer of corrosion on the resister wire face. Run the boat and fill it a couple times and see if it clears up The action of the senders wiper up and down on the wire may clean it up. It's just like a old volume control on an old radio when you would twist the knob back and forth to clear up the sound.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 8:45am
Actually a horn is very important and a legal requirement. Until you fix it, recommend you get a mini canister air horn, they are like 5 bucks and sold everywhere.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic