NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 2001 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:27am
[QUOTE=Netdewt]

Response:
[QUOTE]Hi Nate, Acme 2068…nice prop for your boat spec and skiing profile…
Nate,
Please note the response states "skiing profile" There is NO mention of tubes!!! You should know better than to mention the T word!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

The 2068 is just a 470 with more cup. Would not be my first choice for a 89 but should work OK.

What would be?

My first choice would be a 422 second choice 1442 and third choice a 470 if primary use was all round water sports and not loading the boat up a lot.

If it were for a loaded boat I would reverse the order of preference 470 1442 422

Your current Acme 2068 is the same spec as a 470 (12.5" dia 15" pitch) but with a bit more cup (0.150 the 470 has 0.105 cup). They normally add cup to try and bring the rpm down at WOT to keep the engine in it's working rpm band.

Considering you already have the 2068 it should work just fine, much better than the factory cast prop supplied.

Get some GPS speed numbers and rpm with the ACME 2068 and post.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You should know better than to mention the T word!!

Oh but there will be tubes! I have 3 kiddos.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:47am
so?
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:12pm
I have to admit, I use tubes as well........

they make a great platform to anchor a rider with a camera to get some nice shots while wakeboarding and skiing.

I am thinking that as we develop new tubes that a notice needs to be added to each product that reads "only to be used in the event there is no smooth water around!"
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You should know better than to mention the T word!!

Oh but there will be tubes! I have 3 kiddos.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

so?

Yes, so what???? Maybe you should take a look at this thread:
Get the kids out on the water and teach them a talent instead of a senseless activity that beats their brains out and screws up the water for others

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:14pm
Keith St. Onge taught his daughter to ski and she is only 6 months old.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 7:04pm
I asked Acme what they recommend for a wakeboard focused prop:
Quote …4-blade Acme 1868 prop (12.5 x 14.25 .075 cup) R 1” bore…

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Keith St. Onge taught his daughter to ski and she is only 6 months old.

I'd never put my 2 year old out by herself...

I've been trying to teach my 8 and 7 year olds the last few summers, but they are too afraid once the boat is moving and they are out by themselves.

Fine with me if people here don't like tubes. I do, and that's not changing.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 7:26pm
I had my girls on kneeboards since they were 5. You might wanna try that route or get a ski skimmer to get the kids on the water. We can't prevent you not tubing only encourage you to introduce your kids to true watersports. You'll catch grief here from many as to get the kids on anything else but a tube.
I've taught many to ski, kneeboard and wakeboard and usually a newcomer to the sport will ask if I have one. " Nope, this is a SKI Nautique.....it was designed for SKIING and other watersports, If you wanna tube you'll have to find a Tube Nautique!" After the disappointment and introduction of a kneeboard...they loved the idea, loved the sport, wore them out and they THANKED me for not having a tube because they had so much fun learning a SKILL!

Tube if you must but please do us a favor and do it where the water is rough and have your fun. Be courteous to those who are skiing, or boarding. Let them have the calm water to enjoy what they love to do. Must tubers want the rough bouncy ride in the first place so why mess up calm smooth water for those who need it.

...and for the record....those 5 year old daughters of mine are now 17 and 20 and hate tubers just as much as their Dad because they wanna kneeboard, ski and wakeboard, without knocking out their teeth from the rough water cause by boats doing S turns and Doughnuts from boats pulling tubes.

So YES...... we hate them!

Watch the video of his daughter skiing.....her safety was first and foremost and had people lining the tow ( done by hand NOT by boat) in case she fell! NEVER to young to start skiing.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 7:50pm
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 8:29pm
Tim: don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel....

You remember chastising 2 sketchy looking dudes at my gas dock for having a tube, telling them to try a real sport?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 10:37pm
Wakes are a fact of life... Don't wakeboard boats make big wakes too? I don't hate on fishermen taking up space just because I don't enjoy fishing. I do get quite annoyed with the wakeboard yachts blasting crappy music all day.

Tubing isn't a sport, but kids like it. I'm pretty stoked about my new boat, and you guys have been great, but hating on harmless fun because it's not enjoyable for you is not my thing.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 10:52pm
I was just goofing on tim, but if you got kids into the other stuff bet the tube would quickly gather dust...

Agreed, wake boats are the scourge of mankind, hate 'em more than anything on the water.......

Fishermen mostly just bother me cause they hang out under the bridges and clog passage.....but a little LPSL echo dawdling under there is sweet revenge...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:02pm

Wakes are a fact of life... Don't wakeboard boats make big wakes too?

but hating on harmless fun because it's not enjoyable for you is not my thing.

Yes, wakeboarding does produce big wakes but unlike the typical tuber, they don't follow a erratic course creating a multi direction wake chop.

"harmless fun" ? Try skiing with one or more tubers out on the lake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:59pm
Does my castle nut need to be tight against the prop? I'm reinstalling the Acme, but the open spaces don't quite line up.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 12:16am
Just torque it to spec & then back off to nearest slot. If the prop is properly lapped, the taper should hold it tight.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 11:32am
I moat likely look at tubes much differently than most on this board.

As a recreation tool to get people on the water, I fully support tubes use and those that enjoy the activity - When done properly. My company is very in-bedded in the marine water-sport industry and yes, we distribute tubes of all sizes. The negative for tubes is that they are a liability hazard as there are more "accidents" that occur from their use than all other towed activities combined. Those accidents occur usually due to unsafe towing and not being aware of the surroundings and the potential to hit other objects on the water or on-shore.

Tim, most here are teasing you about tubes. You are right.

Skiers dislike tubing that churns the glass conditions,
Fisherman dislike skiers that blast noise and wakes through their prize fishing spots.

All in all, what is important is that we get people out on the water and enjoying the sport and recreation that we all do.

Cheers!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

The negative for tubes is that they are a liability hazard as there are more "accidents" that occur from their use than all other towed activities combined. Those accidents occur usually due to unsafe towing and not being aware of the surroundings and the potential to hit other objects on the water or on-shore!

The accident rate is so bad that there are law firms who specialize in the field Plus, it's really sad how many young children are injured. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 12:49pm
I defended a suit against a HOA in south florida involving someone pulling a tub and slammed the kids into the sea wall.   attorney said we should have kept the barnies cleaned from the seawall.   This was about the most ridiculous contention iv seen in the last 20 years.   
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 1:18pm
The suits we have seen have been incredulous. Problem is that so many states run jury and / or the cost to defend is so large that you settle to make the overall process as least of an economic issue as possible.

I feel for those that are injured as many times it is not their fault but the driver error. i also believe that if the product a company puts out fails and injures a user then the manufacturer should take responsibility, however, in nearly all the cases that is not the case in the frivolous suits we see.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 1:56pm
Tubing is not a sport.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 2:25pm
boobs are better then toobs
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 2:38pm
always Lube before Tube.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

boobs are better then toobs

truer words have never been spoken.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:01pm
only newbs like tubes
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:19pm
Smoking doobs and pulling tubes...

Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:38pm
You are correct, however it is a recreation activity that brings people to the watersport industry that otherwise may never enjoy those activities.

We host a group of autistic and downs kids every year that cannot enjoy the boating experience other than being towed on or in a tube. The smiles on their faces as they enjoy themselves is proof that there is a place for everything.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:43pm
Inflatables with boobs are way better then toobs
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

We host a group of autistic and downs kids every year that cannot enjoy the boating experience other than being towed on or in a tube. The smiles on their faces as they enjoy themselves is proof that there is a place for everything.

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 4:40pm
I don't think tubing is the gateway to watersking... I wouldn't be sad if our lakes became less populated either...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic