NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water leak, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leak, etc.
    Posted: May-05-2016 at 2:23am
I'm a new owner of a 2000 SAN. I took the boat for a test drive when i bought it, but didn't notice a couple issues at the time. I am very happy with the boat, it is super clean. the exterior gel is immaculate. It was finally warm enough to get it out to our local lake this evening to see if there were any unexpected issues heading into the season. Looks like there might be a couple minor issues to take care of, but I need a couple opinions, as I'm somewhat a newby when it comes to repairs and such. I am mechanical, so as long as I am directed to what to do, I can usually handle the job.

1. There is a slight leak of hot water in front of the driver's seat on the floor. It is very hot water, which leads me to believe I have a broken heater core, or something related.

2. While I am idling, or putting in the wakeless zone, my engine temp climbs upwards to 220-230, but never maxed out. If I rev the engine, it cools right off. Is this a sign my impeller is going out?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
Y2K SAN
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 8:54am
I'd look for a core leak or hose connection leak on the heater. 10-4 on the impeller. Either impeller is going or you have an air leak in the raw water line that could be allowing air to enter into the water making it a lot harder to pump.

If I bought a used boat, i would replace the impeller anyways. Let us know what you find when you get going on it.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 8:58am
Hey Tim--welcome to CCF--see you've been around do a month or so and now you're totally "in" with a beautiful boat. I noticed you're in Salt Lake City--that heater core probably froze up from bad winterizing--but ya never know. It could just be a hose connection.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 9:21am
Likely a heater core. Whatever is allowing the water to leak is also allowing air in and causing your overheat at idle. Idle overheats do not implicate the impeller. Still, if you haven't changed it since buying the boat, I'd do so anyways.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 9:57am
That's not too bad. The exterior looks absolutely beautiful. Congrats. What engine option does it have?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 10:50am
As Tim said the busted core is likely causing the overheat. You can either plug both hoses or double barb them together to "fix" the issue before replacing the core.
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 11:16am
Thanks a lot guys. I've seen some people install a shut off valve. I think once I get into the heater this weekend, I'll likely do a valve as well. That would be great if one fix takes care of both issues.

Thanks for the compliments. We're excited about it. It has the GT-40. Next item of business on deck is the ballast. We love surfing, and I'm hell bent on getting a decent port side wave.
Y2K SAN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 11:53am
You'll need 2 valves (supply and return) if you go that route. Connecting the ends together seems wiser for a short term solution.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 12:24pm
I agree on the heater core being the most likely cause. I have been through a few heater cores since my first nautique in 97. Your local radiator repair shop should be able to find you a new one for $50 or less. Easy repair.

I believe these cores are fragile as I am very careful when winterizing but they seem to rupture every 4-5 years. Nice to have a heater when the air temperature is chilly.
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 1:27pm
Agreed. We have used our heaters in past boats quite regularly in early mornings. That luxury is a must for our family.
Y2K SAN
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 12:02pm
So, I'm about to dig into this heater core issue later today, and I have no idea what to even look for. I just figured I would look for something the heater flex vents are routed to. I have searched the web extensively, and can't seem to find pictures, video or any other clues to what the heater/heater core even look like. Any pointers?
Y2K SAN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 12:15pm
It's just a box with two vent hosed and two heater hoses. Core is inside. Just take it all out and look for the leak. New cores are less than 200.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 12:26pm
Heatercraft.com will show you pictures of their setup. Most likely is what you have anyway I would think.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 12:44pm
Get your eyeballs under there, remove that kick panel and it will be obvious. As others have said - replace that impeller even if you find a leaky heater core.

Holy cow that gel is gorgeous! Congrats on a great-looking boat.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

... Holy cow that gel is gorgeous! Congrats on a great-looking boat.

Yeah, taking the plunge to punch all the snaps in it for the travel cover was a sickening feeling. Previous owner had kept it in the garage in a warm climate its whole life, so it never had a cover. And now I did this to it.

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure if I would have to pull that kick panel. Looks like it.
Y2K SAN
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 12:53pm
Likely a Heatercraft brand, it's pretty self explanatory once you remove that kick panel.

Like someone else mentioned you can get a replacement at a radiator shop or napa for much cheaper, I have had them last as few as 5 years however my current is going into it's 12th season, saying that means it probably breaks this year :(

Should look something like this or a 3-vent possibly

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by rmaytee rmaytee wrote:

Yeah, taking the plunge to punch all the snaps in it for the travel cover was a sickening feeling.

YIKES, is it too late to talk you out of that if it is what it sounds like??
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Yeah, taking the plunge to punch all the snaps in it for the travel cover was a sickening feeling.

YIKES, is it too late to talk you out of that if it is what it sounds like??

Ha. Nope. It's done and done. I'm happy with the cover, and around here, it really is the most practical solution.
Y2K SAN
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 5:52pm
I know it's too late for your boat but I have always preferred the idea of putting cover snaps into the bottom of the rub rail. Keeps the snaps hidden and more of the boat covered.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

I know it's too late for your boat but I have always preferred the idea of putting cover snaps into the bottom of the rub rail. Keeps the snaps hidden and more of the boat covered.

Good idea. Where were you 3 weeks ago. Ha.
Y2K SAN
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 8:23pm
And here I am trying to figure out how to remove snaps from my hull... I need a lot of gelcoat and that stuff isn't cheap (if you get the Spectrum Color OEM, that is).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 9:05pm

Good idea. Where were you 3 weeks ago. Ha.

Ouch! That is one important question you didn't ask,I don't think there is anyone around here who would have recommended to drill and mount snaps in the 'glass Now the next question is did you counter sink the gel coat in the holes you did drill,if you didn't you now have a chance of developing cracks radiating out from the drilled hole
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 9:27pm
I don't even know if they are countersunk. Snap covers is just the thing to do around here. I even talked to the CC dealer, and they said 9/10 boats they sell do the same thing. Maybe its a Utah thing? But, you are right. I should have asked on here. We all obviously have a different value on these old boys than the dealer does.
Y2K SAN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 9:39pm
Corporate needs to look for another dealer in the SLC area with some class!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 9:48pm
Why did you get the snaps, are you keeping the boat in the water? Trailer cover doesn't need snaps.

FYI, you have my dream 'next boat'. Year, Graphics, color. Its pretty much exactly what I want. I love those graphics.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Corporate needs to look for another dealer in the SLC area with some class!!!!

Ha. Actually I love these guys. They respect every customer. I have had older Malibu and Mastercrafts before, and those dealers don't give a crap about old boat owners. I bought a boat from the local CC dealer about 18 years ago, and they have treated me with respect ever since. They talk me through repairs, and show respect for my old SAN even though they were prepping over 20 brand new boats that were already sold.

I honestly think we're all low class around here with the snap covers. Every boat in town has them, regardless of the make. Salt Lake City area has more Wake boats than minivans. I think people just like them because they don't slap around, and they don't rub the gel under the rub rail. So leave me alone You're giving me a complex and serious remorse for my travel cover.   Just kidding - I can take it.
Y2K SAN
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:43am
I see, "2000 SAN" and I think, "That's a nice new boat." Something about the 2 in the front of the number. But that boat is well into its teens now.

Before you do anything to your boat, check here first. The opinions expressed here are correct. Ha ha ha...
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 3:17am
Tim:

I'm in South Jordan. Bring her by and we can take a look if you want a second set of Nautique eyes.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Tim:

I'm in South Jordan. Bring her by and we can take a look if you want a second set of Nautique eyes.

JQ

Thanks Rob. I'm actually going to dig in today. I didn't end up having time yesterday. I'll let you know. I may take you up on that. I'm in Herriman.
Y2K SAN
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 3:33pm
Well I got the kick panel pealed away, and I have located the heater box, but how do I get the core out of it?

Y2K SAN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic