Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cambodia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambodia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 Barefoot Nautique
    Posted: May-04-2016 at 1:12pm
Hi guys! My name is Camron, and I am new to the chat forum thing. The reason I am here is because I purchased a 1989 Barefoot Nautique yesterday, and it will be kind of a project. The only thing that it needs so far is a new long block, due to the previous owners inability to winterize correctly.

With that being said any insight, comments, and ideas will be much appreciated.

-First off the boat, itself, is MINT. Upholstery is original, gray and blue with absolutely no   fading/rips/tears/cracks. The carpet is great, and so is everything else. The Teak deck will not need any more than a couple coats of oil.
-The hull has a bit of fading, but it looks to me that the Gel Coat is in great condition. Might not need much more than a good buff job.

My questions are:
1)Where would be a good place to start for a new/Re-maned 454 long block? I believe they were reverse rotation just like the Ski Nautique 351.
2)Where is the best place for parts and other odds and ends for this boat?
3)What type of prop should I run for long cruises/Better fuel economy?
4)What prop should run for wakeboarding?
5) Was $2800 a good price for an 8/10 boat with absolutely no rot in any of the wood and stringers?

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 1:19pm
In 89' the Ski's got the 1:23 trans and standard rotation motors, did the BBC still use the 1:1 and RR??
Cambodia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambodia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 1:32pm
I believe so. This boat has the 1:1 Velvet Drive, and the prop is a RH 14x14 Nib prop.

Does this mean I should fix/sell, and get a SN2001 instead? lol
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 1:36pm
first congrats on the purchase and welcome.
to answer some questions out of order.
3-4 So your going to find the wake is not anything like the legendary ski nautique for wakeboarding or skiing. a lot of the guys are running the acme 430 which i think is a 13/13. But you will find that one wake will always have a roll on it and the other to be nice and crisp. still fun though.
I have bought long blocks from auto zone and have had success in the past. actually their heads are decent too and for the price you can't beat it. I cannot make a dime to machine a head and re-assemble for the prices they get. let alone their warranty. the blocks are the same. only differences are going to be the crankshaft, and timing set. the oil holes are going to be clearance ground in the opposite direction so not to scrape oil from bearings and the checking on the rear seal surface face opposite direction. The cam, oil pump, distributor are all the same across the board for a reverse rotation chevy 454.

2800 sounds decent depending on whats good on the engine. i bought my 88 for about 6000 a couple years ago and it was pretty much turn key. needed some cosmetic stuff
but mechanically all ive done is tune up and wires.
that being said you could easily spend 3k or north of that on a motor so try and salvage what you can. hopefully the manifolds and risers are ok. those can get pricey. I wouldn't move forward with any original component without pressure testing it first. Heads, intake, manifolds, risers, Wpump. not worth the time assembling to find out on sea trial that a valve seat was cracked.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 1:37pm
If you want to fix/sell maybe you want to just sell instead first?
Cambodia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambodia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 1:49pm
All of the components on the boat are cherry. No corrosion, Cracks or anything. the main issue the previous owner had was that he "winterized" it but could not get the water out of the block. Heads look great as far as the eye can see, but wont know with out the proper testing I am sure. I've been quoted $2400 from a reputable engine builder in this region, for a marine long block, but I forgot to mention the reverse rotation deal, so that will probably change things.

Sounds the wake is not as good as the Ski Nautique, so it sounds like I made a mistake with this boat? I bought it solely on the condition. I've looked at a lot, and haven't found them this nice so far. I liked the idea of the Deeper V on the BFN for navigating rougher water on days that we are just out "boating".
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:03pm
A engine shop will check the block- hot tank it and make it new for about $600. Heads rebuild in the $400 range. That's what it costs here in Florida. Check what you have first- my be good still. I had a engine I redid recently and machine shop charged $1000 , rebuilt carb- new starter - new alt- and new everything else was another $1400. Did it myself- expect way more if you it to have it done. That $2400 I spent was a 100% complete ready to ski engine. if boat is as nice as you say it is- I'd save it. You may not find a nicer one "turn key" in that price range. At some point the $ become irrelevant if you like the boat. At some point you will have more in it than it's worth. I read some of your posts about wake and deep v. Unless you are a competition skier, I'll tell you what I tell my kids --" If it is pulling you- it's an awesome boat". I have all deep v boats and would not own anything else. You have diversity for what waters you can be in and not beat your brains out!!
Cambodia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambodia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:11pm
Thank you for the insight! I was thinking with the hull size, and the 454 power to haul more weight, I'd be better off with the BF2001 than the SN2001 for making bigger wake anyways. Carb is already rebuilt, and everything looks ready to go so far. the crack in the block itself is massive. Pistons and Cam look good, and the boat only has 410 hours on it. So I am going to consult with the builder before I buy the whole long block.
But you're right, any boat that pulls you is a good one. And ANY running Nautique will be more fun than my buddies 2.4L powered Larson we rode all summer 2 years ago.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:15pm
Look on eBay for a "454 4 bolt main" block. You can find them new/used/rebuilt etc. especially if everything else is good. May be able to find one for $700 or so. (Just block)
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:18pm
322012406020. Only deal I found.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:20pm
Looks like a 2 bolt main on eBay.. Oops. but send them a message and ask them if they have a 4 bolt main block. 😜
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:53pm
Some of the above info is questionable.

You do not need a 4-bolt main. You do need a mark iv block (not gen 5 or gen 6).

A bfn will certainly pull. Like was said above, it is not a versatile ski boat. Barefoot table and rough water ride are the 2 things it does well. A ski nautique does everything else better.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:56pm
I have 3 pleasure craft 454's . All three are gen IV 4 bolt mains. Do with it what you will.
Cambodia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambodia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 11:32pm
What if I put a LH block in instead of RH? What would I have to change other than starter, and prop?
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 11:58pm
Sent you a message
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 12:27am
PIcs
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 1:51am
blocks will be the same for lh and rh in these gen of bbc. I think your main issue is going to be your timing. This time of year everyone is in a hurry to get their boats by labor day or 4th july or whatever holiday they usually use their boat every year lol. .
so if you find a shop that is willing to get your machine work done in a reasonable time this time of year get it in writing, shake his hand and don't bother shopping around for prices, because it will become wasted time. its who can get it done; and then you pay them. unfortunate but true.

as far as selling, I wouldn't let the wake thing discourage you. When I bought my BFN i didn't even know there was a difference in the hulls and all i did was wakeboard and ski, all i knew for certain when i bought it was that i like the bbc powerplant over the ford (i own both so thats not meant to start a argument) and i thought i had found a 2001 with bbc.
a couple years later i mainly like to barefoot when I can even though i'm not too good at it. but i never really had given it thought until i bought my bfn. the wake is plenty enough for my talent level of wake boarding and skiiing. so i don't complain. My friends spend more time in the air back there than I do and they never complain.
Plus everyone on the lake knows it when you pop up on plane and spin that 454 up into higher rpms.

Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 11:47am
I have walked your walk, My story told on youtube under "1988 barefoot nautique" I also have both boats (ski and barefoot)   Id be happy to describe what you got , what is the best boat.... etc    Just PM and we can talk on phone
Quick answer is this   you did well imo    2800 on a great interior and hull.... get her fixed !!
I prefer the barefoot on bigger waters (lake powell here in AZ/UTAH) the barefoot drives like a well.... like a boat ...... laying over in turns.... good bit of effort to turn the rudder if wanting to drive spirited .... However the overall ride quality is much better than the ski......   The fuel consumption on the barefoot is about 1/3 more ....      The Ski on the other hand is the most noticed boat on the water.... Its a legend...   I have gotten more comments on my ski than my barefoot ( and my barefoot to me is overall a nicer boat )   The ski will do everything......   The ride is indeed rougher (in the drivers and observers) fuel consumption is really great in the ski with 351...
As the guys said earlier there are differences in the engines for REV ROT
1)crank ground/polished opposite direction
2) piston notches face to the rear of block
3)rear main seal is "special" the herringbone in the seal of for reverse
4)the CAM is special and is drive by gear to gear however the list, and oil pump are normal rotation
5)Heads on marine are "peanut port"
6)Assumed the block is a four bolt main on marine.... however a 2 bolt main is more than sufficient for the power these boats put out....     4 bolt 454 bare blocks are like gold to most guys that are selling them....

Bottom line id be happy to walk you thru the repair of your boat let me know
1986 Ski nautique 351
1988 Barefoot nautique 454
Cambodia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambodia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 2:00pm
@Daytony & Hooty:
Thanks for the info guys. All good to know. Another reason I jumped on this boat, instead of the SN was because this boat is more rare around here, and figured the BF to be more sought after as well. But my plan is to get her going, and decide which boat I like more. I HAD an 88SN, and I loved it. So we'll see how I feel about this one. I'll have pictures in the near future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic