NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SUFFERING FROM A LITTLE "AIR206' SICKNESS

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUFFERING FROM A LITTLE "AIR206' SICKNESS
    Posted: May-03-2016 at 1:46pm
SO SEVERAL YEARS AGO I BECAME FRIENDS WITH A FELLOW MEMBER STEVE KARRAS -AIR 206. STEVE WAS BITTEN BY THE SAME BUG I HAD BEEN BITTEN BY- THE EXCEL/BFN BUG. STEVE AND I HAD MANY CONVERSATIONS ABOUT THESE BOATS. HE IS A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE AND HAS TOUGHT ME WELL. THE EXCEL/BFN CLUB IS A SMALL AND EXCLUSIVE GROUP WITH ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER OF MEMBERS, SO TO FIND SOMEONE WHO LOVES THESE BOATS LIKE ME WAS A REAL TREAT.

WHEN THESE BOATS CAME OUT I WAS A FRESHMAN IN COLLEGE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA. I HAD A POSTER FROM THE DEALERSHIP HANGING IN MY DORM ROOM. I WANTED THIS NEW V-DRIVE SO BAD I COULD TASTE IT, BUT FUNDS WOULD NOT ALLOW FOR IT BACK THEN. AFTER COLLEGE I ENDED UP WITH SEVERAL OTHER SKI NAUTIQUES, AND DECIDED IN 2012 I WOULD BUY WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED. THE HUNT FOR A UNMOLESTED BFN WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN. I FINALLY FOUND A ONE OWNER YELLOW BFN IN TEXAS AND THE QUEST WAS COMPLETE- WELL SO I THOUGHT, I'LL LET YOU BE THE JUDGE.

1991 'BIG BIRD' BFN

SOLD BIG BIRD TO GET OUR "38 HOUR EXCEL" (WHO IS THAT DRIVING?) I WANTED TO OWN THE NICEST EXCEL ON THE PLANET. I FOUND THIS TIMECAPSULE IN TEXAS. IN 2014.

THEN THINGS WENT CRAZY!!! WE ADDED A LOT TO THE FLEET IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS!

1992 "RON SCARPA'S" BFN

1991 "TEAM TEAL"

1992 "ALABAMA SPECIAL" OPEN BOW EXCEL

1991 "TEAM BLUE" BFN

SO I AM KNEE DEEP IN RESTORING ALL THESE BABIES. I AM SURE OVER TIME I WILL BUY AND SELL MORE, BUT FOR NOW I THINK WE ARE GOOD. I AM FELLING A LITTLE "AIR206" SICK. MANY THANKS TO MY BFN BROTHER FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND CONVERSATIONS OVER THE YEARS. HE TOLD ME THE OTHER DAY I HAVE BECOME THE EXCEL/BFN KING- BUT I THINK HE WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING OF OUR CLUB.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 2:01pm
Rod,

Thanks for warning us about casual contact with Steve K.. I will be sure to wear the proper protection when I see him again. I do not want to get such a disease that he has obviously spread to you. I drove his BFN onto the trailer and the White Lake Mini and I found myself recently planning a trip to BFN / Excel rich Alabama and I do not even know why. Now I realize I may have been infected and will seek proper medical attention. Got to go, my boat wrap guy is on the phone calling me back right now.

Thanks again,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 2:14pm
Don
I was fine until he test drove my new excel in 2014. He drove it for its maiden voyage , then all hell broke loose.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by velde99 velde99 wrote:

Don
I was fine until he test drove my new excel in 2014. He drove it for its maiden voyage , then all hell broke loose.

Typical reaction to the casual contact with Steve K. I am also concerned that the little boy riding in the boat with him has been exposed to this disease.

We though Zika was bad.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 2:35pm
Yes Don - sadly he has been exposed. He suffers from the sickness but thankfully his bank account has not been affected yet. That's what he has his dad for. I will do my best to keep the disease from spreading though the family.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 5:52pm
Great to see all your Excels posted and not just on my phone! Excel Fever is contagious...... folks who drive them are surprised..... nicest "dump trucks" on the water!

Don and Mark USE their Excels.

I TALK Excels.

You RESTORE Excels.

"The King is dead............... Long Live the King!"   
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 10:31pm

I thought that was Zach with you
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:12am
Hope to see the fleet some day.

My wife has proven to be a very effective antidote to the sickness. As much as I would like to own a 454 barefoot/excel, despite my best efforts (look at the lovely sun deck and all of that floor space honey, not mention how nice it rides when the water is rough!), I can't seem to break the 2 boat barrier.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:25am
I've grown since you saw me at the bucket Paul haha.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 12:43pm
That is quite the fleet...
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 12:51pm
Skutch
Thanks! Love these boats.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 12:51pm
Keep eating those wheaties Zach.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 3:15pm
A roll call of Air206's past and present Excels here would be helpful.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 3:37pm
HW - that's not appropriate. Val doesn't quite know of the middle Blue on Blue '92. That was a dalliance and meant nothing to me (she never actually came to our lake) ........... so just the 2. We will never speak of the middle one.............

Ordered the Cran/Gray '92 and sold that for the 206..........I missed the Excel almost immediately and started looking for a 454 this time.......... then bought the current BFN from FLA in 2011.

I get inoculated periodically from my wife, who like Wayne's wife, insists on keeping the boat numbers down (but a couple of 16/17 ft 60's boats fit in the same space, I tell her). Who wouldn't want a nice Blue Mustang and a red Skier?   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 4:28pm
Was that 92 ononewheel's boat? What ever happened to it?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 4:44pm
I don't count that one - I never took possession of that boat.

It was a strange situation from the start.... communication was poor...... pictures were mismatched...... I was ready to go get it and he stopped all communication. No calls taken or returned or texts. I always assumed he found another buyer. Even the names he gave me were not the legal names..... so, there was obviously stuff I didn't understand.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 5:06pm
I want to ride an excel eventually....hope not to get the fever though.....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 5:54pm
Kapla 👍🏻
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 8:10pm
Very Nice.
Js
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 8:14pm
That's quite the fleet of excel's you got there...
1972 Mustang
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:11am
Whoa, very nice!! Congrats on being able to continue to grow the fleet and provide the rescues a good home.

What's your take on the 454 vs the 351 HO in these boats? Big difference in sound?
1992 Nautique Excel
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:20am
Airfooter. One of my excels has a 351. Another has 351 Ho ( not running) others have 454's. The 454 sounds much better- the 351 looks like a toy enigine in the engine bay compared to the 454's. I have one 454 that is propped for out of the hole performance and it has the same top end as the standard 351. The one 454 top ends at 53- and is set up as it came from factory. The props on these boats seem to really make or break performance. With that being said- great way to customize the ride you are trying to achieve. Air206 says best set up is HO 351. When I have that engine running- I will let ya know.
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:40am
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen Steve comment before that he thought that the 351 HO was the best set up. Sometimes I wish I had the 454 just to have it, which is why I was curious what your thoughts were. I've considered the Acme 328 for a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger as I haven't been able to use the boat much lately.
1992 Nautique Excel
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 1:37am
I have had a 4 blade Johnson on the standard 351 and I didn't care for it, although the new owner did. He also said it surfed well; So, whatever.........

The aft weight of the 454 really makes it behave differently. The Excel hull is not a sports car. The 351 is a F150, the 454 is an F350 in feel..... but its wake table is flatter and slightly higher than DD BFNs with less "washy" edges.

My silly trim tab helps the 454 "butt plant" but is thought to scrub MPH at top end. Due to clearance issues, you only have the 328 as an option on the OEM setup. It is a smoother prop than stock and the folks i know who have swapped theirs like it. Buy it, try it for the season, then sell it to Rod if you don't like it..... he's got a few driveshafts, and engine configs to try it on. I think the guys who didn't like it had the other trans/v-drive reduction ratio.

After talking to a PCM rep at White lake, I am excited to hear that my dream is a possibility - a 6L in an Excel! We talked about modifications needed and it sounds very do-able. With the new DUI driving the 454 like it is, it would be crazy to change right now; but if I hit the Powerball..................
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 2:15am
Steve - what mods to a 454? 6L? 454 is a 7.4 L
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 2:29am
Originally posted by velde99 velde99 wrote:

Steve - what mods to a 454? 6L? 454 is a 7.4 L

No Mods - Engine SWAP. 6L is lighter than 454 (7.4L) and that helps Excel hull get going....... Strong HP, at less weight.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 2:36am
And will make your wallet weight less to the tune of $10,000😜
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 2:41am
Nope - RR marine 454s are valuable to the right folks (in your area esp.) - even ones with 800 hrs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic