Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 1989 2001! **Pics**

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 1:53pm
Anybody have any experience with Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce? Not cheap, but gets really good reviews in Amazon.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:20pm

Franks degreaser then 303 to protect...

Franks

that gallon will last you a very very very long time for $16.00 and nothing I know of beats it...

It is very popular for cleaning vinyl tops on limos etc.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:43pm
I'm probably overthinking this, in fact I know I am ...but from everything I've read, the Totally Awesome seems to be really popular among boat owners. I read a few threads on Planet Nautique, Team Talk (MC forum) and the Moomba forums and they all rave about it. I think the key is to rinse with water and apply 303 after.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:51pm
Yea your overthinking it if you have to ask. Some of those guys on Planetnautique actually keep their boats for more than a year
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 3:05pm
White lake sells a vinyl cleaner by g&t, they are the company that makes the vinyl that cc uses. Their cleaner is the only one approved for use on their vinyl. I have found the cleaner to be very good. Whether or not others are equally effective without any side effects remains to be seen. I know what I use on my boats!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 3:14pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 3:23pm
Zack uses that hot sauce. And he says out loud "pourin' on the sauce" when doing so.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 4:37pm
Yes, yes I do. I love hot sauce for the exterior wipe down. Vinyl sauce for the interior does a nice job without making stuff greasy. Certainly not the wonder product hot sauce is but it smells good and it works good enough.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

White lake sells a vinyl cleaner by g&t, they are the company that makes the vinyl that cc uses. Their cleaner is the only one approved for use on their vinyl. I have found the cleaner to be very good. Whether or not others are equally effective without any side effects remains to be seen. I know what I use on my boats!

This is the product Tim is referring to.

As much as I love all the Babes products I think the Z-care does a better job on upholstery.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 1:47pm
Thanks for the feedback all! Need to get a couple of spots on the seats re-stitched at the upholstery shop. Can you remove the drivers seat cushion without having to remove the entire drivers seat from the floor?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

As much as I love all the Babes products I think the Z-care does a better job on upholstery.

My vinyl sauce is out. I'll give that a try this season. I've seen no ill effects so far and it does a decent job but it certainly isn't a wonder product.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

My vinyl sauce is out. I'll give that a try this season. I've seen no ill effects so far and it does a decent job but it certainly isn't a wonder product.

Yeah, I might try the vinyl sauce as a "maintenance" type product. My vinyl is pretty dirty and I want to get the white back so I need something that will really deep clean. So last night I experimented with just the observer seat cushion and some Totally Awesome. I have to give Andy a tip of the cap...I was impressed. It cleaned up really well! The white is actually white now!! Scrubbed it good with a brush, rinsed with water and then treated with 303. It's going to take some time to tackle the whole interior, but a weekend and a few beers should do it!
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback all! Need to get a couple of spots on the seats re-stitched at the upholstery shop. Can you remove the drivers seat cushion without having to remove the entire drivers seat from the floor?

The seat bottom is stapled to the bottom of the pvc seat skeleton, at the rear.    

In this picture, the lower left hand side skin is the one for the seat bottom. The far right flap on it staples to the seat base.

I guess you could pull those staples with the seat still attached, be careful not to pry the side skins off.

bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 1:16pm
Couple of dumb questions:
-Is the wood trim on the gunwales teak?
-My trans is a PCM 40A...says "oil type: aft type a" on the trans label. I popped the dipstick off and it looks and smells like atf (reddish brown). Guessing since it says atf type a it's been atf in there?? How can I determine if it is in fact atf and not oil in there?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 1:55pm
Yes, that is teak on the interior.

You can run ATF or oil in the trains. They came out with oil but later switched to ATF.
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 2:13pm
Boat looks good. I too grabbed an 89' year ago and I am going through the same refurbishment thoughts.

We really like the boat thus far.

My issue has really been the trailer. needs re-welded in spots and I disabled the brakes after a nightmare of a trip when i picked it up.

Yes, the wood on those rails is supposed to be teak. They clean up nice with a cleaner, brightener and oil application just as the swim step will.

ATF is what was standard back in 89" as Ford had not identified Dextron yet. There is a thread here that discussed using the Dextron as a replacement. I did that last season and it was fine.

I have the same issue on mildew spots on my vinyl. Just going to order skins in the next few years from Chrsitines and replace.

this year I grabbed an Acme 422 4 blade prop. Anxious to use as long as rocks decide to stay away.

Mine came with a tower. toying with idea of getting rid of tower and just placing a fly high on it.

Enjoy!
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

Boat looks good. I too grabbed an 89' year ago and I am going through the same refurbishment thoughts.

We really like the boat thus far.

My issue has really been the trailer. needs re-welded in spots and I disabled the brakes after a nightmare of a trip when i picked it up.

Yes, the wood on those rails is supposed to be teak. They clean up nice with a cleaner, brightener and oil application just as the swim step will.

ATF is what was standard back in 89" as Ford had not identified Dextron yet. There is a thread here that discussed using the Dextron as a replacement. I did that last season and it was fine.

I have the same issue on mildew spots on my vinyl. Just going to order skins in the next few years from Chrsitines and replace.

this year I grabbed an Acme 422 4 blade prop. Anxious to use as long as rocks decide to stay away.

Mine came with a tower. toying with idea of getting rid of tower and just placing a fly high on it.

Enjoy!

Russ, so did you just pump out the old trans fluid and put the new Dex in or did you flush it? From what I understand Dex III is a straight replacement for type A.
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 3:36pm
I actually flushed it just to be thorough.   Sorry for wording 20W was standard prior to Dexron (ATF) and CC recommendation changed on what to use - see below

there are a few threads on here about tranny oil as well as other maintenance that I really found helpful.
My original purchase thread to board.

An older link to what fluid to use

From CC several years ago: (I copied from the final hyperlink I am attaching.)

Hi Sean

Thank you for bringing your question to us. The simple answer is Dexron III
is what PCM currently recommends. PCM first used 20W oil (commonly found in
motor cycles and farm equipment) and this likely is what came in your
transmission when new (when your owners manual was printed).

While Dexron has a 20W viscosity, it cannot be mixed with oil.
To switch from 20W oil to Dexron, drain and fill your transmission with
Dexron, run the engine until warm, then immediately drain and fill again.

Please feel free to call or write back if you have further questions.

Regards,

Jim Jetmore
Customer Service
Correct Craft, Inc.

Final Hyperlink
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 1:35am
Great looking boat and I love the color combo! Gorgeous.
'93 Ski Nautique Black/Teal
'77 Ski Nautique. Loved it. Let it Go.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 10:27am
Originally posted by diggit diggit wrote:

Great looking boat and I love the color combo! Gorgeous.

Thanks!! Appreciate it.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 12:11pm
Started in on the teak platform this weekend- Cleaned with Star-Brite teak cleaner and very lightly sanded...My question is (another one from a vintage ski boat newb ) do you guys oil the bottom?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

My question is (another one from a vintage ski boat newb ) do you guys oil the bottom?

I do give the bottom 1 or 2 coats. Even though Teak is very stable with varying moisture content, I've always felt it's best to seal the bottom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 12:19am
beautiful...

always cool to hear the stories that these old boats come with..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:27pm
So I changed the impeller and ran the boat in the driveway this weekend- after replacing the impeller I noticed a very small drip between the backing plate and the shaft housing (I think I'm referring to the parts correctly) on the RWP.   Sherwood Impeller kit came with a paper gasket so I took the old one off which looked like it had been there for a long time. I scraped the surfaces a bit with putty knife, but obviously I need to clean the mating surfaces a little better. Question is- what's the best way to clean and smooth the backing plate and shaft housing surfaces?

Other than the little leak, the pump was sucking great. Hardly any water coming out of the intake grate when the engine was on. (I have a "Timmy T" installed- works fantastic BTW!)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 2:33pm
Not sure if your parts are flat, but I have resurfaced more than 1 item by using emory cloth tacked to a flat board.   Move the surface in random directions.    Water usually helps the process.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 9:10pm
Your pump should have a groove so use the o-ring instead of the paper gasket.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Your pump should have a groove so use the o-ring instead of the paper gasket.

So omit the paper gasket all together? Think that's what's causing the drip? The impeller kit came with an o-ring, which I installed.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:31pm
Page 2 of this pdf shows where the parts and gaskets go
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Page 2 of this pdf shows where the parts and gaskets go

Yeah, thanks. I used that pdf when I changed the impeller. Paper gasket goes between backing plate and shaft housing.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:13pm
So I've noticed the oil pressure gauge pegs and bounces to the right when the engine is on. From everything I've read it sounds like it's a low voltage/bad ground...Last night while tinkering with things I noticed that with the key in the "on" position (engine not running), when I tried to click on the Nav lights the oil pressure and fuel gauge both pegged to the right. I looked under the dash and to me the wiring didn't look all that bad. I will say electrical is not my thing so I'm not quite sure. Should I start by cleaning the connections at the dash on the oil pressure and fuel gauge? Or is there a way to reground the entire dash?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic