Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1985 Ski Nautique voltage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kgodfrey3398 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgodfrey3398 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1985 Ski Nautique voltage
    Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:22pm
I am having an issue with my '85 ski Nautique. A few weeks ago, I ran her and the engine started skipping and would eventually bog down and quit. I thought it was the coil so I replaced it with a PCM Power Plus coil. I ran it today and it ran perfect with new coil for an hour then it started to skip again at high rpms, but the skip was not nearly as bad with the new coil. It has electronic ignition. I believe something is causing it to lose voltage when it gets hot. It could also be a bad alternator. Let me know if more information is needed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:00pm
Kirt,
The EI ignition, is it one of the conversions? They are known to be a problem. Is it factory or did someone convert it? If it was a conversion, is it designed to be run with or without the ballast resistor? Get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) out and get some good voltage readings before jumping in and throwing parts at it again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kgodfrey3398 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgodfrey3398 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 10:57pm
It was converted to EI before I got it. The coil is made specifically for EI and does not need and external resistor. At what points do I need to test the voltage and what should the voltage be?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 11:39am
Kirt,
I suggest getting a reading to the coil and the feed to the module. If it's low follow it back to the ignition switch, get a reading there while wigging the key. Beyond that, to my knowledge there no way to actually test the EI module.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic