Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop key way is sheered

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop key way is sheered
    Posted: May-01-2016 at 11:52am
I am trying to remove the prop on my 97 nautique. I acme prop puller snapped in two. So I took a look at the back of the prop and I can see the two key ways (shaft and prop key way) are not aligned. So the brass key sheered when the prop got hit and I'm sure the bronze key (pieces) are what has the prop jammed. What is the best path? Cut the prop along the keyway (carefully) or use an oxy acet torch and heat the prop while the puller is keeping tension on it? I'm experienced with a torch and controlling heat. I was planning on heating two opposing areas on the prop base very quickly while keeping some water on the cutlas bearing so heat doesn't travel up the shaft. The tension from the puller will let me know when it's done (pop) and I can cool everything quickly. So what are the votes? cut or cook?
Thanks,
Adam
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 12:08pm
Adam, some of the other guys will chime in too.
Pretty fair chance your shaft is bent also. How about the strut? How does it look?   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 12:31pm
I checked runout on the shaft and it looks fine. i was told anything under .035" is good. i didn't measure it with a mic but put a piece of wood between the shaft and hull and turned the shaft. I could not see any runout with the naked eye at several points. It will be a matter of vibration feel once in the water. Fingers crossed. New boat so yeah for new purchases. Ughh.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 12:38pm

Prop Puller:
These are set up for 1" and 1 1/8" shafts in 3 or 4 blade configuration. I am willing to offer these to the members for $115. +shpg. Also shown is the Brass Nylock 3/4-10 castellated nut, brass key and s/s cotter pin,...$20.00 + shpg
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 12:39pm
Bummer, especially with the new boat.
Sorry, not much help from me. Have not had the opportunity to deal with a prop and sheered/jammed key.
Hang on. Some of the experts will be here to help you out. They are typically a little slow to respond during boating season!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 2:04pm
Shaft runout best at under ..010 inch.

I had a very tight prop, used a propane torch on prop hub while puller was tensioned. Apply heat to each of the 3 hub areas between blades evenly.

Have nut on shaft, when hub expands enough it will pop suddenly.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 2:59pm
Could have sworn max allowable shaft runout was .003, Pete will know for sure.

A hard enough prop hit to shear the key and you think the shaft is ok? I have my doubts. I think its time to break out the sawzall (and your wallet).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:05pm
Just so I can brace myself. If the shaft is bent what am I ballpark looking at for replacement? $2k $5k or fifty cents for a bullet?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:06pm
Duane- I have a four blade so the three bolt configuration puller won't work?
Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:07pm
So can anyone verify the runout on the shaft and location to measure it?
Thanks
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:19pm
As Tim mentioned, you may need to get your sawzall and perform shaft surgery. If you hit your prop hard enough to shear the key, I'm betting that you have other issues.

If you do cut the old shaft, you may want to consider A.R.E. shaft replacement as it will make your life easier in the future. (about $400 with discount)

I would give Vince a call at www.skidim.com and get his input.

At a minimum, the drive-shaft needs to be removed and accurately measured (I would go to a local machine shop). The strut may also be bent. Good time to do a shaft alignment.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tim:

Quoting from the website of Elbert's of Oregon (A.R.E. shaft manufacturers): "System drive shafts are made of the finest shaft materials and are individually inspected to ensure the tapers have less than .003” T.I.R. runout and the coupling face runout is within .002” T.I.R. The shafts are straightened to less than .002” on 42” centers, producing a complete assembly far exceeding industry standards."

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

Adam

Below the pic it states will work with 3 or 4 blade.
I always use heat to remove my props. Follow instructions in above post and do make sure to have the nut on a thread or two, when they pop it scares the crap out of ya the first couple times.

Tension lots of heat and a hammer (since prop is junk) you may get lucky and not have to cut the shaft. As Tim said a hard hit like that is likely to have bent the shaft. Check run-out on the end to insure it's not bent after the strut which is most likely where it would be bent.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

Adam

Pulls 3 or 4 blade props. The picture just show 3 pulling bolts BUT it comes with 4 bolts
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A hard enough prop hit to shear the key and you think the shaft is ok? I have my doubts. I think its time to break out the sawzall (and your wallet).

I confirm that the .003" is an ideal not to exceed.
Adam,
Unless I missed it, I didn't read what caused the damage. Off hand, you must have hit something shearing the key because the prop wasn't lapped to the prop shaft? If so and considering the run out you see by eye, I too would say the shat is gone. As mentioned, the ARE shaft system is the way to go. As Tim mentioned, it may be time for the Sawsall! Do check your strut as well. BTW, you would never get the prop off in that condition with a "C" clamp type puller.

Here's the $10 prop puller that Duane copied.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 5:43pm
Is that a double tapered shaft?? If not then I see a "cherry picker" in use shortly. Might be a good time to change over to a double taper.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 6:54pm
Get a small punch or drift and tap the key stock back and get it to move, then apply puller pressure to the prop. Keep tapping it back as you pull it off. I saved a buddies shaft on Master Craft last year doing exactly this.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 7:38pm
Adam,
I see you did hit something. I also see you used the piece of wood between the shaft and the hull. I assume you did this between the log and strut and not at the aft end of the shaft. Just aft of the strut is where the shafts typically bend from a prop strike. At least clamp a dial indicator up to the strut and get a decent measurement. Dump the wood and whoever told you the ..035" idea!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 9:23pm
Drop the rudder and pull the whole thing out in one piece. Drop it off at the prop shop with wink and say "fix it". Those guys have man size tools and know how to use them. Your gonna have to wrestle the coupling sooner or later, might as well try to save the shaft and prop.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 10:38pm
Yep !!!    ^^^   baitkiller   ^^^

Heat = last resort, then never use that prop again.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 4:22am
If tapping the key out does not work I have had luck by tensioning the prop puller as tight as I thought was safe and then taking a open end wrench just large enough to go over the prop shaft with no drag. 1 1/16 over the 1" shaft worked for me. With the wrench up tight against the prop, prop puller attached I hit it hard on the wrench from the engine side with a 2lb ball pen hammer. One good hit popped it for me.
As mentioned it is a good idea to have a nut on the shaft as you do this. I had parts fly. Not good for trailer paint but it came off and the prop was already bad.
If it is really stuck bad I think I would use my sawsall and cut the prop in two places opposite sides of the shaft. Cut down as close to the shaft as is safe. Bronze will cut easy while the stainless shaft will cut hard.   With the prop cut nearly through it will lose tension.
If your shaft is close to good you may get a machine shop to straighten it for you.
I used to know a guy that could get them back to perfect.
With that said when I needed to change mine I stepped up as advised and bought the ARE shaft they are really nice and easy to work with.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 7:08am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Bronze will cut easy while the stainless shaft will cut hard. .

Mark,
I question your thought about the cutting ease of the Nibral since it's some pretty tough stuff. Years ago after fighting cutting a prop, I was curious about the hardness. I had the opportunity to actually test the Rockwell and not just go by the charts. So, I took both the SS shaft and the prop I was working on into work one day and then stuck both in the Rockwell tester. Sure enough, both came out right on to what the books said. The SS Rockwell was just at B85 and the Nickle aluminum bronze was just at B95.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 8:47am
Cutting both is a lot easier on a machine tool with coated carbide. They're both nasty and if you let them get hot they'll work harden and stare back at you laughing at your puny hacksaw blade.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 11:14am
forgive me if this isnt asked but is the prop fixable?
in the case where you know the shaft is bad than take the portaband to it and cut the shaft. then press the broken piece out.
A reputable prop shop can re cut the taper and broach a new keyway. whether or not its worth the price is another question.
If both the shaft and wheel are a write off I say cut it off at the coupler, pull it out in one piece and get yourself a lampshade and turn it up on end turn it into a conversational piece for the camp.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 12:01pm
I've never seen a sheered key. That would take some serious energy, enough to wipe out the prop and rudder. If you can't cut the shaft push it out of the coupler.

Start fresh in the boat and make that lamp.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 1:28pm
Pete your expertise never fails to amaze.   In my wildest dreams I never imagined bronze could be harder than stainless. I have cut stainless and I know that is no fun.
I have 3 old prop shafts in my house. I have ground the ends sharp and use them for breaking rocks, In Folsom where I live the town is built on a Clay and Rock foundation.
If you need to plant something you are digging up rocks, if you need to put in a fence post you are digging and breaking rocks or your hole will end up 3 feet around before you are deep enough for a post.    The stainless works very well for this job! One positive for wrecking 3 good props in 30 years.!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I've never seen a sheered key. That would take some serious energy, enough to wipe out the prop and rudder. .

I'd have to say the chances are high that the prop wasn't lapped on the shaft and not firmly attached so it was being driven by the key only.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 1:43am
I would def say the nut may have been loose or there was not a proper lap as well.
hard to say without being there and seeing everything that happened though. But i agree. your in there, you've suffered enough already, just replace the shaft, wheel, etc.

I have always considered stainless to be a soft metal. All depending on which grade you are talking about too, but typically speaking 304 and 316. They all machine very well when using the correct feed and speed. Things go sour very fast if you do not abide by these laws though. Think about how easy it is to strip a stainless bolt or burr the end of a stainless screw head.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 8:05am
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

I would def say the nut may have been loose or there was not a proper lap as well. .

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

our props are held on by a close fitting taper. According to one of the prop manufacturers, 70% of the torque is said to be transmitted through this fit and the rest is the key/keyway. I personally feel it's 100% because the taper fit shouldn't slip at all. I've seen some pretty sloppy keys with 0 evidence that any force has been applied to them.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keep in mind that a taper is the only thing that holds a drill chuck in a drill press spindle!! Also, take note of Eric's comment that many trans components are held together with tapers only. No nuts!!! Think about why a puller is needed to get a prop off!!

I've seen boats come in with the nut missing and the prop still on. Sure is evidence that a properly fit prop on the shaft works. The nut's purpose is to seat the prop on it's taper.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 9:58pm
I was able to pop the prop off with two small wood sticks. Must have been looser than I thought. One of the sticks scratched the prop up a bit. I bet a good shop can fix it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic