NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop key way is sheered

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

.I was wondering if it is possible to fix the coupling axis alignment with the motor mounts instead of the strut shim. Since all four corners of the motor are adjustable in both axis couldn't you walk the motor x or y before aligning the angle of the couplings? Feels safer than shimming the strut for a newbie.

Adam,
I try to stress making a point that alignment starts at the strut. Many feel an alignment only entails the engine. Once the strut/shaft is aligned to the log, THEN the engine is aligned to it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 4:44pm
ok thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 1:29am
Maybe we should also ask how far off is he with his prop shaft as is? If it comes close as is maybe he just needs the engine adjusted. If his is way off like mine was you have no choice but to work on the strut.
I thought I had read that some Nautiques had far less than perfect alignment of the Log to the proper strut position? It has been two years since I had to do this so my memory could be off.
Mine was so far off the prop would not rotate by hand if assembled, It bound up the shaft in the cutlass bearing. It did turn out perfect only due to great advice on this forum. Be patient do it right and you will be very happy with the results.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 6:32am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Maybe we should also ask how far off is he with his prop shaft as is? If it comes close as is maybe he just needs the engine adjusted. .

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The shaft should go through the log (yes, the hole in the bottom) centered when the shaft turns freely (is "happy") in the cutlass bearing in the strut. Don't loosen the strut until you determine it's not aligned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 1:13pm
Ok I got my new cutlass bearing.
Questions:
I am concerned that when I cut out the old one with a hacksaw blade that I may scrape the strut. Does this matter?
ANy tips for pressing the new ones or is it straight forward with a threaded rod/nuts as you said? Don't lube or prep surface etc?
If I adjust strut. Do the screws go into a threaded nut plate that is fiberglassed in or are there nuts somewhere on the backside that I have to get hold of? Do I cut the epoxy out around the strut before adjusting? What was the "hot wire" thing I heard about or can I do it with a blade. Is putting the epoxy back in something I put on the bottom of the strut or do more of a "bathroom caulk" style after it is in?
Thanks for the help. i'm getting close and it's getting warm out so the pressure is on to get thsi done.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 1:31pm
You should do some searching here to get the basics figured out.

google "strut install site:correctcraftfan.com/forum"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 3:26pm
I believe I have in a way sufficient to not drop me in the bucket of "Annoying new guy who is too lazy do a basic search"    I know those guys and I agree they are not being necessarily considerate.
Here is the specific context for my questions. In Pete's 101 video he instruct to remove the cutlas bearing by cutting it with a hack saw blade and the folding it in on itself. If I was in there I would have asked about how much caution I should take to not gouge the strut. It may not matter at all or maybe I should take great care to not cut through the bearing and try to pry it to split or something. This might add an hour to the job if I do and even going and buying a shim for the other side of the blade getting a new sharp blade etc. Just looking to minimize my newbie lessons learned mistakes.
He described the strut adjustment and I also went through some other threads on adjusting etc. I learned that the 4200 epoxy is softer than the 5200. No one described exactly how to put it on. Do I put some where the screws go into the hull and under the strut or is that a huge mistake because I just made the strut unstable? I saw someone say "hot wire cut" is done with the 5200 and not the 4200. I can't find out what that is.
and won't even do a search"
I'll do more searching but I found everyone to be so helpful here and am eager to get the project done that I continued with the inquiry.
I'll also on a personal note that It has been a great help to find a community to help me with this. It has taken it from a very frustrating new boat owner experience to a fun project with a big victory just around the corner. So thank you everyone for that.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 3:53pm
Haha, ok. I appreciate your concern.

The reason for the hot wire cut is because 5200 is harder to remove. Basically you're making a home made "hot knife through butter" kind of thing. 5200 is stickier than 4200, therefore I prefer the latter. I'm not sure the hardness is much different, if at all, or of any concern really.

In either case rings around the mounting BOLT holes is sufficent and then a fillet around the base/hull edge would finish it off nicely. You might want to tape the tips of the threads so they don't get pooped up on the way through (if you happen to be generous with the adhesive). If some squeezes through while you tighten up the strut that is good sign. Too much though and the strut will be further off the hull, changing the alignment from before/after installation.

There's plenty of meat on the strut don't worry about nicking it. I would cut towards the "web" where the most material is anyway.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 4:00pm
And yes there are nuts on the back side of the bolts holding on the strut.. you should be able to reach them up under the gas tank .. definitely more fun of a job with a friend in the boat
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 4:05pm
I had those exact same questions the first time I did my alignment. Hollywood is right, I have a bookmarked Google search for this site only, I am in the middle of an engine rebuild so I say I enter a search like this 20-30 times a day. It is invaluable when it comes to working on these boats.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 4:51pm
If you do accidentally cut into the strut make sure to go in with a half round file or the like to remove any burrs before trying to press in the new one.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 4:58pm
There is no cutting of epoxy and leave the bathroom caulk to the bathroom. No lube on the cutlass install either. Don't go overboard on the set screws, unless of course you want the next person to have to drill them out...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 9:55pm
Ok great input. I'll have at it!
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:06am
And,    put your new cutlass in the freezer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 9:25am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

And,    put your new cutlass in the freezer.

Nice touch. Thanks!
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 11:57am
In a ziplock bag labeled something like "penis collar" then let your wife find it.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:58pm
And,   don't let the white stuff drip on your hair, wear a hat.
and have some rags for wiping-up with paint thinner (mineral spirits) not lacquer thinner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 2:00pm
Her only feedback would be on why I made it cold.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 4:52pm
Freezing a cutlass will shrink it just slightly enough to make the installation much much easier.
I've spent years installing strut bearings via hydraulic press.   The last two were via freezer trick.   I will never install another one without freezing first.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 3:48am
It's already frozen isn't it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 7:17pm
And the boating buddy of the year award goes to........ DayTony! I tried pressing in the cutlass bearing with a 3/8 threaded rod, did not work. Called Tony for some advice and he told me to come on over ( next town over) and he would have something I could take back home to press them in. He made this little beauty, a "Driveway Arbor Press". Thanks Tony.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 2:30am
Awesome, glad it worked for you.
I happened to find that threaded rod in my yard when i moved into my house 4 years ago, never found a use for it but i couldn't just throw it out.
I'm sure glad i didn't,

1988 Barefoot nautique-454
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 4:19pm
Nice install set up.
How is your alignment looking now? Hope it is near dead on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 1:24pm
Here is the update. Big victory this morning ( I hope) I put the strut back in. It did take two washers in teh back to get it centered top to bottom wen I did a dry fit. I had the coupling/shaft attached to the motor so it had the correct left to right when I did the final install.. Hopefully this leads to minimal motor adjustment later.   I torqued (actually my wife did, she's awesome) the strut bolts to 50 ft lbs. I was underneath with the screwdriver. My only concern after is that I put a bead of 4200 around the edge of the mating surface of the strut. Did I just create a gasket between the hull and strut that will reduce the hard coupling of the strut to the hull to dampen vibration? God I hope not. I did put some on the base of the screw holes so it pressed up in there. I then put more on the outside bathroom caulking style. I'll align the motor tonight and see how it all turns out.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 2:54pm
When I pulled my strut off of my hull I noted the sealer 5200 or 4200 was under the strut gluing it to the hull.   When I installed mine I did it the same way. I put a layer of 5200 on the hull and torqued the strut in place then wiped off all the excess.   Hope I never have to take it off again. Could be very tough.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 3:16pm
Ok good to know
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 8:30pm
I can't believe I've already picked up two stars with just this thread. Talk about baptism by fire. So now that I'm at motor position adjustment. Up and down has those handy threaded blocks. left and right...not so much. Any tricks or tools that will help with breaking the frozen side to side? I have a 2 foot pry bar and a six foot. Their isn't an obvious super safe place to pry just some "hey it's my best shot" angles. Anybody found any other tools that work nicely? ball joint separator? hydraulic hand tool?
Thanks,
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 9:36pm
4200 should be between the complete strut base and the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 10:20pm
Side to side tools include:     Your old prop shaft and a hammer.
I like the 2.5 lb hammer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 10:47pm
okie dokie
'97 21' Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic