NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Rainbow Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 7:46pm
Tim D
tmartiniere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 12:48am
Gary,
What should I use? I actually bought Nida bond and it was expensive but if I'm wasting my time, I want to know now.
Thanks
Tommy Martiniere

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 12:58am
That is dirt on the hull.. I crawled under the bow today and those are the only holes in the bow. I'm just going off of what I was told from my uncle. He is looking for the original pictures when he bought it in '75. I called CC today about the build sheet but the gentleman was out. I would love to hear from Art on this boat as well!! The windshield has been broken from people getting on the boat from the bow and slipping or holding on to it.
Tommy Martiniere

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 1:06am
The boat had two speedometers on it but they were both broke years ago. I just bought an original and working on getting another one.   I may have been mistaken about the windshield. It is a one piece but it could be a polycarbonate. It was in the early '90's and I don't have the memory I use to. I am still looking for some of the older pictures but I have a lot of books to go through. Once I find some, I will post them.
Tommy Martiniere

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 1:15am
The gentleman at Clear Lake Marine is going to send me all of the pictures of the restoration. I contacted him earlier this week when I saw the pictures online. They did a great job on the boat.

Thanks for all of the input guys!!
Tommy Martiniere
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 1:37am
I'll try to find the FAQ section / links to stringer replacement tomorrow. There have been several in the past who were going to use Nita Bond. They insisted that it was the greatest but never posted any of their results. One can assume it did not work or turned into a bigger project than planned. Nothing wrong with wood if properly prepped and in combination with epoxy resin will outlast you. Several have used Coosa Board with great results but requires a bit of reengineering.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Alan needs to put one of these windshields on #1. Now the real question is, 1-piece or 2?

I gave Alan a 1 piece that came off a 64 SN.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 12:08pm
Thanks Gary. I looked at the coosa board last night. I'm thinking about going with it now after the research last night. I know that it's expensive but it only has a 1% absorption rate and that's pretty good and if it'll last another 30 years then I'll have passed the boat down by that time. I used mahogany last time and had the fiberglass blown in on top but the water still seemed to get in somewhere. I'm thinking about going with it on the floor as well. I would appreciate any links. I have been searching with limited results on here about the coosa board and the best solution to not have to keep redoing it.

Tommy
Tommy Martiniere
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by tmartiniere tmartiniere wrote:

Thanks Gary. I looked at the coosa board last night. I'm thinking about going with it now after the research last night. I know that it's expensive but it only has a 1% absorption rate and that's pretty good and if it'll last another 30 years then I'll have passed the boat down by that time. I used mahogany last time and had the fiberglass blown in on top but the water still seemed to get in somewhere. I'm thinking about going with it on the floor as well. I would appreciate any links. I have been searching with limited results on here about the coosa board and the best solution to not have to keep redoing it.

Tommy

Have you read through this thread

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 12:44pm
Tommy,
The Mahogany wouldn't have been one of my choices on wood. If you didn't treat the wood with CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) and used polyester resin, I can understand why it failed. The CPES is the primary barrier for moisture and then with epoxy it's sealed. After the basic stringers are laid, ANY penetrations for bolts/screws are then CPES'd. Did you use polyester? It's hygroscopic!!! Wood is certainly a less expensive option. I recommend Douglas Fir. If you can't find it in your area, LVL (laminated veneer lumber) is another option. There's even a complete thread on a re stringer using it.

Don't forget to take a look at the FAQ thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 1:03pm
Joe's boat is still the definitive guide on using Coosa.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5635&PN=5&title=a-351w-stroker-from-scratch

I would cut down those glass channels and grind out the edge of the bilge gel before starting.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would cut down those glass channels and grind out the edge of the bilge gel before starting.

Absolutely. Looking at the glass channels still in the hull is the reason I thought you were going with one of the pour in a form casting compounds. They are very costly and to my knowledge we've never heard back on the results from some that planed on using the method.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 1:48pm
Grind away all the gel from the bilge side of the stringers. You could fill (foam?) and cap and re-wrap (hull-stringer-hull) for additional strength. Weld up an engine cradle that hugs the outside of the main stringers since your quickly losing inside space.

In the end it is probably easier to start with a clean slate instead of using the old stringer skin.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 8:30pm
Gary, with this boat on its second rebuild, makes me think someone didn't glass the wood properly for it to rot twice like that in its lifetime. I've never done a complete rebuild like so many so on this site. Maybe, just maybe, someday.

Why does everyone do wood instead of a complete glass and poly boat like new boats? Is it that much harder to do Coosa and a glass floor? Also--why put foam under the deck instead of an air bladder or something that can never get saturated?

Just seems crazy to tear all the old rot out and hope never to have to do it again.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 10:57pm
Douglas Fir done properly will last longer than I will live. The problem is the factory took short cuts and did not properly seal the Douglas Fir the time when they did it. .

I would go with a metal frame windshield for that year of boat and not mess with that plastic windshield anymore. The guys on this site will be able to find you one. It may take six months but we will find you one.

JMO,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Why does everyone do wood instead of a complete glass and poly boat like new boats? Is it that much harder to do Coosa and a glass floor? .

My GUESS is that Coosa is more TIME consuming and I do know that it is more expensive than Douglas Fir, but it will not rot or rust. You have to stack the layers of Cosa to build it up with glass sandwiched in between. You are building up the boards, but I may be wrong since I have not done it before.

JMO,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 11:07pm
Peter,
Donald is correct about using a composite being more expensive and taking more time. I'm sorry to say that Tommy had a bad experience with his re stinger but I feel some procedures with wood were overlooked.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 2:36am
I have the 1978 that is mentioned in this thread.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 12:46pm
That is the reason that the channels were left like that. After more research I am definitely going with the coosa board. Why would I need to grind the bilge down? Just to have a good surface to overlay the glass?
Tommy Martiniere

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 12:51pm
That is a beautiful boat!! I hope I can get mine that way again.

When I restored it the first time I was 19 and there wasn't a way to gain knowledge about it as much as it is today. There were some things that I missed I'm sure that made them rot. One of which was the drain holes through the stringers. It seems like that's where most of the rot started from.

As far as the windshield... I couldn't replace it with something other that the one that is there. I'm not going to go back to totally original but I want to keep it's originality as much as possible and I think that's one thing that makes this boat a little different.
Tommy Martiniere
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

The problem is the factory took short cuts and did not properly seal the Douglas Fir the time when they did it. .

Gee Donald, little harsh? These boats were never manufactured to the same quality level as the space shuttle but they were still over built for their time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 1:03pm
Tommy,
The bilge needs to be ground down where you will be laying the new glass because the coating is decorative without any strength. It should be ground down almost to the first layer of glass you come to. Keep in mind it's the glass that's structural and the resin just bonds it all together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tommy,
Don't forget to take a look at the FAQ thread.

If you haven't found the FAQ thread yet, it's a "sticky" in the maintenance forum. There are some great links to stringer projects that are worth reading. Lot's of great information!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 1:54pm
Here is a good thread on replacing stringers. One of the problems of using a Coosa type of material is that a screw will not hold in it. Your engine mounts to the stringers are a good example. Newer boats use an aluminum cradle that has mounting points welded to it and then the whole assembly is cross bolted thru the structure. It is also the pylon mount. You would have to figure out a way to duplicate this for your boat since your motor mount lags will not hold into the coosa. A wood stringer system done with care and no short cuts will last. Do all the reading on the various stringer threads here that you can.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 4:51pm
Thanks Gary. I am going to look into the douglas fir and see what I can come up with. I am also thinking about the aluminum cradle also. I weld aluminum a lot but I want to make sure everything lines up perfectly so I'm going to have to take a bunch of measurements and see if I can make it work with the pylon as well. Knowing that the pylon has had trouble with my floor in the past I think the aluminum will help but I am worried about the oxidation with me being in brackish water all of the time. What do you think? We had a 2011 Air Nautique and it rusted and the aluminum oxidized in the first year...??
Tommy Martiniere

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 4:57pm
Thanks 8122pbrainard!! I didn't find it before but I have now. Thanks for the advice on the grinding down of the bilge plate. What is going to be my best method of grinding it without getting too far into the original bottom?

Thanks
Tommy Martiniere
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 5:11pm
i like this style (you can get various grits)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 5:14pm
Tommy,
A 36 grit resin bonded disks in a 4 & 1/2" angle grinder works great. Some have used diamond disks too and reported they work great as well. The diamond abrasives have really come down in price big time over the last 10 years. You can even find them at Harbor Freight.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 6:25pm
The other 1 of the 2 that are still in commission is in located in NE Iowa. For the most part it is still virtually unmolested and in great original condition as delivered from the factory. The owner did have to find someone to fab a new reverse windshield for it after an unfortunate incident with a flock of geese but that was probably 25 ish years ago.   It has only had 3 owners since new and has spent all of it's life within the same ski club.    

I will send this to the current owner and urge him to come play on here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmartiniere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 6:40pm
That is awesome!!! I'm glad to know where the other one is!! I'm glad it has the reverse windshield as well!! If you don't mind getting me his email or any way of contacting him, that would be great!!!
Thank you very much!!

Thanks for the advice on the wheels guys.
Tommy
Tommy Martiniere
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic