Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for 1st boat - Opinions on a couple finds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for 1st boat - Opinions on a couple finds

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for 1st boat - Opinions on a couple finds
    Posted: April-06-2016 at 8:15pm
Looking for our first boat. I posted here a year or so ago with a 1 owner 79 Ski Nautique a friend was selling for their father. Missed that one. Missed a low hour 2 owner 1985 Mastercraft. Not much else of interest has come up.

Fast forward to this year. Mrs. Poorhouse is tired of waiting around. Kid is 6 now and fired up to get on the lake. Budget increase to low teens. Looking for something with an open bow, fuel injection and no wood stringers.

Gentleman in our neighborhood is selling a 1998 Malibu Echelon open bow.
586 hours. Moonsoon 5.7 EFI, in nice shape.
He is the second owner, its stored inside every winter and at their lake house for a couple months every summer.
Asking $14k.

Positives are it is local, it is a known good boat, it is basically what we are looking for.

Negatives, not a walk through open bow, Malibu seems to not be as well regarded as Correct Craft. Boat has very low free board. I've read these can take water over the bow and swamp. I'm a new boater and may be blowing that out of proportion.

My top choice from doing research and enjoying the '79 Nautique we looked at is a Sport Nautique, up to 1997. One came up recently across the state.

1997 Sport Nautique, 615 hours. GT40, 2 owners. Always stored inside until this year. Sellers kids grew up and he downsized. No room for the boat so it spent the winter outside and he is selling. Said it is showing some slight wear on the upholstery.
$14.5k with all his skiing, wakeboarding and boating gear.
Pics aren't great, he is going to shoot some better ones this weekend.
He's had the boat 5 years and has done nothing but oil changes.
Said it runs perfect and has never needed anything.

http://billings.craigslist.org/boa/5467062333.html

Looking for opinions on these 2 boats.
Price, condition, configuration, etc.
Open to other ideas or suggestions.

Also wondering about my swamping concerns. Am I blowing this out of proportion. We will be on small mountain lakes mostly. Not a whole lot of other boats or wind.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 8:52pm
Here's my old thread, almost 2 years ago and still shopping.

Probably for the best. I think budgeting to the mid teens will get us exactly the boat we want in good condition.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34341&PN=1&title=shopping-for-1st-boat-trailer-question

Also of note is remarks about the poor quality of Malibus until the early 2000's.
I had forgotten that.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 8:52pm
Once I drove an Air Nautique (open bow). I scooped up a few buckets of water by accident, wasn't the end of the world. It happens when you go thru wake without throttling up.   If you are 'on it' the whole time, it shouldn't be a problem.    Might be some ongoing education needed if you have other drivers too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 9:01pm
I worked on a boat just like the Malibu for a customer last summer. It was nice, but no correct craft.

Idk what the going rate is for those two models, but if 500 bucks was the difference I'd go with the cc every time.

As for the swamping concerned. There are two types of ski boat owners; those who've taken water over the bow and those who will. Of course an open bow will catch more of said water, but proper driving and a functioning bilge pump should keep you off the bottom.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 10:10pm
I own a Malibu and think they are nice boats. I'd disagree about poor quality until the early 2000s. They're decent boats, maybe not quite as good quality as a Nautique, but still decent boats. I'm not up on prices as I have no interest in buying another one, but as nice as that boat is, I think the price is way high. Probably just under $10k is tops for a '98.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 10:29pm
That's not an Echelon, it is a Response. Echelon had walk through bow. Response did not.
My understanding, same hull. As you suggested Response has a lower freeboard than than the Echelon, and the Response sold for a lower price when new. I'm pretty sure 98 was the last year of the Echelon.

I have not kept up with those boats and so I don't know the resale value. But be be sure you are pricing the right model when doing your comparisons.

Looking at the pricing on both those boats, I'm going to guess the prices in Montana are 2 or 3K higher than here in CA, which would not surprise me.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 10:35pm
P.S. I have nothing against Malibu. My second favorite behind CC.

If you want to talk to some guys that are just as crazy about their Malibus as we are about
our Correct Crafts, then check out themalibucrew.com.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 10:37pm
I believe the boat above is an Echelon by the way the windshield tapers into the deck. The Response had a flat deck under the windshield. TheMalibuCrew.com is a great source for Malibus. One of our CCF members recently bought an older Malibu and maybe he will chime in as he's probably up on prices.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 10:37pm
pretty tough to beat a few of the last interesting c lists finds boats listed today. both beautiful and well cared for boats for the $
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 10:46pm
Seems to me a bow rider with a wide bench and no walk thru is pretty pointless...kinda defeats the purpose.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 11:00pm
Well, apparently Malibu has done some weird sh-- just as we've seen from CC.

I did some digging and found this on the Malibu forum:

Echelon LX was walk a through for years 93-97. In1998 it shared the Reponse LX platform with the step over open bow.

So, maybe that is an Echelon for 98, or at least a Response in Echelon clothing.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Well, apparently Malibu has done some weird sh-- just as we've seen from CC.

I did some digging and found this on the Malibu forum:

Echelon LX was walk a through for years 93-97. In1998 it shared the Reponse LX platform with the step over open bow.

So, maybe that is an Echelon for 98, or at least a Response in Echelon clothing.

BKH

Response in Echelon clothing is what the seller told me. Echelon just has fancier trim.

A better comparison to the Sport Nautique is probably the Malibu Sunsetter.

I would prefer the slightly larger boat with a walk through to the bow.

As for pricing the Echelon is right on NADA.

The Sport is in the ball park, not sure what all options it has.

I'm assuming there is some negotiation room in the price on either.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 11:09am
Not sure what to think about the hour gauge in the dog house?? Check the dash hour gauge as well, iirc it should be a display window in the tach or speedo.

That BU will probably have a better slalom wake but gives up tracking vs the CC. Tower on the BU is fugly, CC looks like factory or new dimension tower, much better looking. May just be the pic angle but the axle on the BU trailer looks pretty far back instead of directly under the motor, where it should be. Neither boat has what I would consider optimal bow seating, the BU probably has a forward facing bench and step over, the CC is a playpen and the cushion is missing in the pic?

As far as driving an open bow, throttling over wakes works but is not your best option as it just chops all the water up, not good for your skier. If you simply shift to neutral the boat should just roll with the wave. A little practice and it's not that big a deal.

Of those 2 boats based on the pics I would choose the CC for sure.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 11:25am
The Resopnse/Echelon is a nice boat. That tower undoubtedly gives the nod to the CC.

I feel like I've seen plenty of hour meters on the engine like that. Nothing to get out of bed over.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 11:43am
Another thought is what motors/hp in each??
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 11:46am
read the post?
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 12:00pm
Response looks to have brand new interior... the tower is an eyesore but can be removed... maybe you can trade it for a pair of cleats or correctcraftfan decals to cover the holes! Not sure if the Scarpa Suppression Plate fits the 98 response. Improves table if you barefoot.

For a family boat, the Sport is hard to beat! Is that the original engine in the Sport?

Don't be in hurry and watertest... you will know which to pic if any.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 12:07pm
Both boats are about the same age and the same price. Typically, older Nautiques bring more money than Malibus. I think the Bu is priced high. They updated the hull on the Response in '98, so the Echelon probably has the older hull, which is good, but not as good as the newer hull for slalom. I'd be more interested in the Sport for the money. Try PMing 65Cuda. He may have some useful info.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 12:11pm
I'm partial to Sport's, you'd love that boat. There's one just posted in the Craigslist thread, a '94, can likely buy for under 10 grand but it's carbed and needs an interior, figure an easy 4 grand to do it right. If the '97 Sport has a decent interior that you can get some years out of that might be the better choice IMO, You should try to look at a "93-'97 Sport and then a "98 up so you get an idea of the difference with the flat back and trunk on the later models. For hauling a bunch of gear that trunk is extremely handy.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 12:39pm
I saw that 94 for $10,700, makes the 97 at $14,500 look like a deal.
I ran NADA on the '97 Sport, I'm coming up with around $12,600 with the options I can tell it has. I might be missing a few things.

Couple additional pics from the Sport seller.
Going to need some upholstery work. Swim platform needs to be refinished. The exterior probably needs a buff and detail.

I like the tower it has and I like the green color combo, that probably puts me in the minority...

The Malibu interior is near mint. They are the kind of owners they are, everything is taken care of and kept in top condition. Exactly the kind of person you want to buy from.

Not sure if it has the newer hull or not, read conflicting info on the date cut over. I'm thinking it does. It has a factory Wedge as well.

Thanks for easing my mind on the swamping issue. Considering the number of open bow boats running around I figured I must be blowing things out of proportion.
I am prepared for a learning curve as we get into this.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 12:42pm
Forget about NADA
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Forget about NADA

I realize it isn't the gospel. Just a guide and the market will dictate price.

I've found some similar era open bow Malibus within 500 miles or so of me.
Mostly in Boise. They are all priced higher than the one here.

Same with MC Prostar 205s, a few for sale but anything nice is over $15k.
A comparable one to the Malibu just sold in Seattle for $16k.

I'm not seeing any other Sports in the area.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 1:01pm
If I HAD to get a bu... and it had to have a tower... and had to be open bow...

Sunsetter: 98 Sunsetter

Looks like a nice drive

But then again if a 98 Sport in same condition within $3 grand was available... I'd go that route.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 1:24pm
I'm pretty sure there is a Malibu dealer in Boise. That's mostly what I see when I travel up there.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 12:08pm
1997 Sport came up a few hours away.

https://missoula.craigslist.org/boa/5535897661.html

Looks like a carb motor?

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 12:38pm
Looks decent. Snaps added to the transom must have a snap on cover and non-slip tape on the gunnels. Weird. Price is extremely high but that is probably negotiable especially if the "devoice" mentioned is true.

fixed link
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 10:40am
To wrap this story up, I bought a boat over the weekend.

Didn't end up with any of the boats previously mentioned.

Found a 1 owner 1986 Supra Sunsport with 585 hours in Boise.
Always stored inside, original interior in excellent condition. Engine looks near new.
And what sealed the deal a, $7k receipt for stringer replacement.
I couldn't pass it up for $5k.
Boat was in Boise. Had a shop check it out last week. They said they would buy it if I didn't.
Drove 800 miles Friday night and Saturday to get it home.
Had it on the water Sunday.
So much fun.   

After spending significant time researching boats on the Mastercraft, Malibu, Supra and CCF forums, I was impressed with the amount of knowledge and helpful nature of CCF.

I'm sure I will continue to search here as I learn about using and maintaining this boat.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Poorhouse Poorhouse wrote:

To wrap this story up, I bought a boat over the weekend.

Didn't end up with any of the boats previously mentioned.

Found a 1 owner 1986 Supra Sunsport with 585 hours in Boise.
Always stored inside, original interior in excellent condition. Engine looks near new.
And what sealed the deal a, $7k receipt for stringer replacement.
I couldn't pass it up for $5k.
Boat was in Boise. Had a shop check it out last week. They said they would buy it if I didn't.
Drove 800 miles Friday night and Saturday to get it home.
Had it on the water Sunday.
So much fun.   

After spending significant time researching boats on the Mastercraft, Malibu, Supra and CCF forums, I was impressed with the amount of knowledge and helpful nature of CCF.

I'm sure I will continue to search here as I learn about using and maintaining this boat.

Nice boat, can we get a picture.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 12:06pm
Yes, pictures please. Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you found a very good deal.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 12:21pm
Couple pics from the maiden voyage.

On plane.

You can see some of the interior here. Original upholstery.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic