Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans fluid whats best??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans fluid whats best??
    Posted: February-17-2016 at 3:55pm
My local parts shop has regular 20w oil and I'm wondering if which is best for my trans, 20w or ATF. Everyone seams to going ATF because no one seams to stock 20w anymore, but given a choice, what would yall run?

Thanks!!
Sammy
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 4:13pm
ATF Sammy . There was a reason PCM changed from 20w to ATF but I cannot remember
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 4:16pm
The ATF's high detergents keep the internals clean. It's primarily to keep varnish from building up on metal parts like clutch plates.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 4:21pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 5:06pm
From CC several years ago:

Hi Sean

Thank you for bringing your question to us. The simple answer is Dexron III
is what PCM currently recommends. PCM first used 20W oil (commonly found in
motor cycles and farm equipment) and this likely is what came in your
transmission when new (when your owners manual was printed).

While Dexron has a 20W viscosity, it cannot be mixed with oil.
To switch from 20W oil to Dexron, drain and fill your transmission with
Dexron, run the engine until warm, then immediately drain and fill again.

Please feel free to call or write back if you have further questions.

Regards,

Jim Jetmore
Customer Service
Correct Craft, Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Service,

>
>      I own a 1992 Ski Nautique with the PCM PRO BOSS engine and PCM-40A
>      1.23/1 transmission. The plate on the transmission and the boat
>      owners manual both specify to use 20 - 20W engine oil in the
>      transmission. Because I couldn't find 20-20W engine oil I spoke to a
>      Nautique dealer and another marina that services Nautiques and they
>      both said to use Dextron III ATF. What oil should I be using ?
>
>      Thank You,
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 5:31pm
nuff said!

Thanks Fellas!!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 6:16pm
Is there a way to tell whats in the transmission (oil or ATF). I want to change my transmission fluid in the spring and don't know what the previous owner put in.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 6:23pm
New automatic transmission fluid has a bright to dark red, translucent color. The red color is the result of dye that is added to the transmission fluid for identification.
NCtique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2016 at 10:06pm
I have a 1985 ski nautique. The boat had been in storage for 13 years until last summer when I got it running and starting taking it out. I figured a transmission service is necessary. it calls for type a fluid according to the sticker on the valve cover (looks like and engine oil color). Seems from this thread that I will be changing to dexron III?? I own a vacuum evacuator I am wondering if it would be best to put it in the lake and pull out what i can and fill with the dexron and do that a few times until it looks like the dexron? Or is it worth trying to drain and fill a couple times??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 10:33am
Jarrett,
You don't need to put the boat in the water for a trans fluid change however, you do want to do at least two changes Some will do three changes since unless the trans is out of the boat, you can't suck out all of the fluid. So, do the first, get it out on the lake to get the ATF mixed in with the old type A and then do the second change.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

ATF Sammy . There was a reason PCM changed from 20w to ATF but I cannot remember

Here's the story in case anyone is still interested. In 1989 when PCM came out with the 40 Series transmissions, the 40A, otherwise known as the 1.23:1, had a whine in the reduction gears. We at CC complained bitterly to PCM, as did our customers to us. PCM decided to change the recommended oil to 20 weight motor oil. Then we found out that not only did it not help any on the whine issue, but also that it is very difficult to find in the southern states. (I know.... that wouldn't be the case nowadays with many new automobiles using it. I cringe whenever they put it in my truck, but that's what the dealer says it has to have)
Anyway, back to the PCM story. They made stick-on labels to put on the transmission ID plates saying to use 20W. When the above was discovered, they went back to ATF. Some of those old stick-on labels are still around. Truthfully, the transmissions don't care which you put in them, or you can mix them if you want. The friction factor in the clutches might be slightly reduced with the motor oil, but there has been no discernable reduction in life or performance when it was used.
The now-current 80 series transmissions are far better units than the 40 series, and they are Made in the USA!
"Art"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

The now-current 80 series transmissions are far better units than the 40 series, and they are Made in the USA!

Art, could you fill us in on these new units?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 10:46pm
The internals of them look a whole lot like a Velvet Drive / Warner Gear, and many of the parts appear to be common with the AS1 71 series later known as the 1017. The 80s are in an aluminum case, making them a bit lighter than the 40 series equivalents. They are completely retro-fittable, same dimensions all over as the corresponding 40s. .

Warner sold their marine division many years ago, and it was picked up by a couple of different owners after that. Currently it is known as Velvet Drive division of Richmond Gear and they are located in Liberty, SC, which is located probably not coincidentally close to Little Mountain, where PCM resides. I strongly suspect that they are building the 80 series gears that are branded as PCMs.
"Art"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 11:14pm
Pretty sure the 40's are also aluminum cased, Art... They sure are a lot lighter than the velvets- 30-40lbs at least. I think Eric suspected the 40's were made by ZF. Interesting that the 80's may be different... I assume the rebuild kits are not compatible between the 2?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 11:26pm
Yes, the 40s are definitely aluminum cased, and many internal parts are aluminum also. The 80s have a lot more iron parts inside. A 40A (1.23:1) is 68 lbs.. and the 80 version is 92. A 1017 is right at 100.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 11:29pm
I didn't pay much attention to the compatibility of the gasket sets. All I have seen thus far is a cutaway 1 to 1 Series 80 unit that PCM brought to a service school at CC last week. There is no parts book or repair manual yet that I know of.
"Art"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 10:41am
The 40 is a ZF design, it was made in italy also.
Eric has always noted the 40's as a "wallmart transmission", not so good for high torque apps, I think one of the reasons for a tougher transmission are the G-series boats and the newer more powerful engines for heavy loaded wakeboard/wakesurf boats. They had some transmission issues with the earlier boats as well.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 10:56am
True, the 40s are (were?) made by ZF.in Italy. ZF also makes other brands of marine transmissions. One of the biggest problems with the 1 to 1 40 is its intolerance of poor shaft alignment, which puts side loads on the forward clutch drum, causing the rotating aluminum drum to contact the aluminum case, resulting in galling of the aluminum and damaging the seal between the drum and the case. This causes loss of hydraulic pressure and failure of the clutches. The 1.23 suffers from similar problems. If the drum and the case are damaged, the cost of the two parts plus the labor adds up to far more than the cost of replacing with an 80 Series. PCM sells a very nice kit that includes the transmission, a new oil cooler, and a drive plate.
"Art"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 11:42am
Are the PCM 1:1s the same as the Hurths that Indmar used? They were made by ZF in Italy as well.   We haven't had any problems with ours, but it does not shift as smoothly and is no where near as quiet as a Velvet Drive.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

and is no where near as quiet as a Velvet Drive.

Don't know how you can tell Bruce. I think it's pretty safe to say anything with a Velvet has straight pipes
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Are the PCM 1:1s the same as the Hurths that Indmar used? They were made by ZF in Italy as well.   We haven't had any problems with ours, but it does not shift as smoothly and is no where near as quiet as a Velvet Drive.

I don't think the transmissions are interchangeable. To the best of my knowledge, the 40I 1 to 1 was a proprietary unit only sold through PCM. I'm not familiar with a Hurth that's identical.

Just top clear up the terminology a bit, the 40 i (as in like the letter "I" stands for "inline,." as in the input and output shafts are in line with each other. The 40A, which we call the 1.23 to 1, is an "Angle" unit' the input and output shafts are at 5 degrees to each other. (or is it 9 degrees? My brain is still in neutral!
"Art"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 1:25pm
Could someone advise me on ATF? On the '98 Sport I know to use Dexron III, but now when I look in stores I see either Dexron VI or Dexron/Mercon as the two options with Dexron in the name. Is either OK? One better than the other? Any reason I should be searching for Dexron III?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 1:43pm
Dex/merc
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 2:27pm
Dexron III or any higher number.
"Art"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 3:34pm
Wait ..... so either, or are you guys disagreeing on which is best?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 3:50pm
I always used Dex/Merc

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 4:04pm
Just bought one of these at Wally World

or use Dexron VI it's backwards compatible
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 4:06pm
I believe the consensus is dex/merc atf fluid Non-synthetic
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 4:23pm
Why non synthetic? In ATF? Lay some learning on me.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 4:39pm
Too slippery for a wet clutch transmission is what I had been told (2nd hand from PCM).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic