NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New car safety

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New car safety
    Posted: February-08-2016 at 6:51am
My friend for the last 50 years was on his way home from Marco Island yesterday. As he was driving through Bowling Green KY on I-65 a car struck him in the drivers door and knocked him out of control into a concrete wall. The advances in vehicle safety are really remarkable. Mark survived this with no cuts or broken bones, but he is a bit dinged up with bruises and soreness. You can see the imprint of the concrete wall on the hood in front of the driver. Not long ago a crash at highway speed into a concrete wall would not be survivable. Mark traded his SRX on a Ford Edge about 6 months ago. He's happy to be able to buy another one, and I am hapy to still have him as a friend and a neighbor in Manitowish Waters WI. I believe the result would have been different had it happened in my tow car
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 8:35am
Damn. Glad to hear your buddy is OK. New cars have most definitely come along way in passenger safety.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 12:30pm
and that's why i stay off i-65
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 1:53pm
+1
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 10:26am
I"m not a big IIHS fan, but this video is a good example of safety improvements over the past 50 years...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 11:03am
Nick,
It's good that that Malibu wasn't equipped with a Takata air bag!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 1:06pm
We have had the airbag discussion in my car club. Our Shelby Dodge cars were built between 84 and and 91. I have an 89 Chrysler LeBacon. It was one of the first cars with a standard airbag. The issue is, armed with the knowledge of the Takata failures due to age and moisture, is it safer to disable my 27 year old airbag or to leave it active. Another issue is seat belt degradation due to age and UV. One member had a very bad crash several years ago and almost didn't survive due to skull fractures, facial and chest injuries. His seat belt broke in the collision. I am in the same situation as many drivers. My daily driver is 12 years old and has 202,000 miles. For the first time I have considered buying a new car not because my car is worn out or needs maintenance, I like it and everything works perfectly, but the advancements in safety combined with the uncertainty that the aging safety equipment will function properly is a concern.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 1:21pm
I seem to remember some decal on the door post of our Volvo, I think it said something about replacing the airbags in 2014 when it would have been 10yrs old. The Jeep was in a accident just a couple of weeks ago, thankfully on both accounts no airbag deployment
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 1:42pm
Sorry to hear about the XJ Gary. It was very nice.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 1:52pm
Thanks John,the adjuster said the same. It should be almost good as new, new fender header panel, bumper, misc plastic bits and lighting about 3k worth does not go far in body work ;)
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic