Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fiberglass and Gelcoat Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brewski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiberglass and Gelcoat Repair
    Posted: February-05-2016 at 3:00pm
Hello everyone. My 79 Ski Nautique is now running and shifting as it should so on the the next step,. I have a few spots on the side of the boat where it got up against a dock. These spots are through the gelcoat but not the fiberglass. Does anyone have a specific brand of product they would recommend to repair these places. I have been told short hair fiberglass should work since I am going to spray fresh gelcoat over the entire boat. What do you boat repair gurus think? I want the boat to be strong and straight. I am also replacing the deck of the floor and a few stringers so I would like to hear opinions on the mats and resins also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Brewski
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 3:16pm
Andrew,
Pictures showing the size of the gel gouges would be great. If they aren't very deep as you describe, then I would suggest one of the gel repair kits. There are a couple companies that make them. They have the base resin, hardener and then tinting pigments. The hardest part will be matching the off white of your 79.

Tell us more about you wanting to replace the sole (floor) and a "few" stringers. I don't recommend trying to patch stringers. It's all or nothing. If you haven't opened up the sole and below yet, you may be surprised what you find. Pictures again would be great. Have you read any of the stringer replacement threads? There are some fantastic ones with pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 4:20pm
Pete: he mentioned re-spraying the whole boat:

Originally posted by Brewski Brewski wrote:

I am going to spray fresh gelcoat over the entire boat.

Brewski Here is a link to one of the companies Pete mentioned that has color matched, small repair kits.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Pete: he mentioned re-spraying the whole boat:

JP,
I did see gelling the whole boat. I didn't miss that one! But, I asked for pictures to see just how bad the gouges are. He said they weren't into the glass so maybe a repair would be more appropriate. Let's see if Andrew posts some pictures.
Andrew,
Did you ever get your part for the windshield?
How much spraying have you done? Gel isn't really the same as paints.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brewski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 6:19pm
I have the pieces for the windshield. I am spraying the entire boat because the previous owner of the boat did some half repairs that don't match. I want this thing to be perfect. I haven't removed the floor yet and I may end up doing all of the stringers if needed. The rear of the boat feels really solid. I would say three baseball sized chips in the gelcoat. I will get pictures when I can. I work a lot and have a newborn due any day, which leaves little time for the Nautique. I sneak away when I can to work on it.
Brewski
Brewski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 6:27pm

I just noticed I already have a picture of the damage on my phone.
Brewski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 6:49pm
Andrew,
Those are pretty bad but can be repaired. The areas that the PO did a poor job on most likely can be too. Gelling the whole boat is a big job so a repair is an option. I've seen plenty of repairs that you can't tell have been done. As mentioned, the color match is the hard part. For filling the gouges for prepping for gel, I suggest sticking with a polyester filler so there's no bonding issues with the polyester gel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brewski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 3:54pm
Perfect that's what I was looking for. Thank you 8122pbrainard! I will buy poly filler and get to work. I'm still going to gel the entire boat because it has cracks where the boat has been trailered hard and the usual pressure cracking. I just feel like in the end it will be a better boat if it's done.
Brewski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic