NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

straight pipe or mufflers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

And if you are still not certain,

I'm sure Larry was a little tongue in cheek, but just to clarify... The above BFN has a bit more compression, a warmed up cam, aluminum manifolds and 4" straight pipes... So it is a bit louder than most other set ups being discussed. It is also why that boat now sports mufflers!

The sound was great from the driver's seat, but less so from the back and not much fun when behind it. It was also quite unloved by the lake community.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by terminaldegree terminaldegree wrote:

Although this may not win me any friends among the majority of the crowd here...

If you're going to be out early in the mornings, I just consider it a courteous thing to do for others on the lake.

I honestly wouldn't mind waking up and hearing a Correct Craft running around the lake, but hey that's just me. Not that many loud boats on my lake though. I imagine once I'm older and live on a lake, I'll have mufflers on most of my boats.
1972 Mustang
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We are in the process of re powering this Tique and have removed a perfectly good pair of mufflers and exchanged them with these copper pipes from another boat. It will probably be a little louder, but I don't think it will be too loud.

Getting into this old Martinique for the first time last fall with a copper tubed, 318 pushing sound through it, I got to tell yeah IT WAS LOUD... Shorter the boat, I'd imagine it would even be louder.. Fun though..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 2:32pm
Seems like there is a split decision on the matter. lol

I think im going to reinstall the mufflers.... my favorite thing to do is just cruise around in my boat at 10-15 maybe slower and i do not want the wife complaining about the sound. She already complains about the storage costs! yes it would sound great and thats why i was thinking about straight pipes but i think it would be cool for about 1 weekend.

I was planning on going by the boat on the way home today and measure everything out. does anyone have lengths of hose that i will need?
1986sn 2001
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 2:39pm
Smart move.. It will increase your time on the water in the long run. Hose length will depend on the mufflers used. Just measure up the old stuff
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by newguy1986 newguy1986 wrote:

my favorite thing to do is just cruise around in my boat at 10-15 maybe slower

Please, please, please... Never drive your boat between 5-15mph. Ever. Everyone else on your waterway (or on shore) will thank you!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 3:14pm
I'm muffled 383
This is the life
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 4:33pm
I have a 3.5 to 4" y-pipe on my boat.... Slow cruising without much weight in the boat its louuuuuud. WFO sounds awesome. 90 percent of the time it sounds like most other inboards. Not exactly quiet by todays modern boat standards but not obnoxious.

Our lake doesn't have many houses on the the water at all (less than 10) and its a good sized lake with canyons.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by newguy1986 newguy1986 wrote:

my favorite thing to do is just cruise around in my boat at 10-15 maybe slower

Please, please, please... Never drive your boat between 5-15mph. Ever. Everyone else on your waterway (or on shore) will thank you!

I agree!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 5:04pm
Why not build a baffle assembly to slide into the straight pipes and pin them in when you want it muffled a little?? Motor cycles and hot rods used them for years. Just don't restrict it to the point that water can't freely escape. Takes all of 1 minute to install. For sake of explanation it would resemble a piece of threaded rod (approx 24") with several square washers attached along it's length. They knock the harshness off without quieting alot.. Works in my '34 coupe
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 5:21pm
Sorry but I am partial to this

[QUOTE=75 Tique] If you have any remaining doubts, watch this.

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 5:26pm
Now THAT is an appropriate use of straight pipes. Yee-Ha.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I'm muffled 383

Muffled is an important detail for sound control but cubic inches don't really factor in... Compression ratio, exhaust manifold material, cam timing, presence of metal in the exhaust track (vs hose), exhaust diameter... Those are all bigger drivers of volume.

Some of the noisiest boats I've heard had itty bitty small blocks (283ci). 273-318 Chryslers also ring loud, as do 302 HM's.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 9:17pm
Well I tried it out today just drove it home about 6 miles from the launch not going over 3k. Sounds pretty much the same I guess. With out a meter I can't tell and it's been 10 months since I drove it last. Maybe with more seat time I'll notice a difference.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Sounds pretty much the same I guess. .

I understand that once you retire the hearing goes real quick!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 10:43pm
Gee Pete...you're old? Never woulda noticed.

Hearing goes quick in old phone guys. Can't hardly hear at all on the left (butt-set) side.

All I got to say is......Loud Pipes Saves Lives...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 11:34pm
What?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

What?

to much looking for tone in the cable?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
DCIndustries View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCIndustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 12:52pm
After 2 years of owning our 87 SN 2001 I have decided to dampen the noise. Kid's complain, wife complains and it honestly gets annoying after 3-4 hours on the water. My first thought was going to a hull hugger muffler but $600 is a bit steep. Started thinking about my baffles on my motorcycle and building an insert like Duane described.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 3:27pm
This is the proper exhaust, dry headers on a 440 Mopar, sold this boat about 2 years ago, now I am having a blast with a SKI TIQUE, the family likes it a lot better! I wonder how dry headers would work out on the SKI TIQUE?
shadow
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 4:51pm
Perfect for the rear sitting passengers..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 11:54am
Where can you purchase a Y pipe? I think I am going to need one for a 2000 Ski Nautique.
Thanks.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 12:11pm
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 8:51am
Guys,

Well I went straight pipe. After the rebuild i had the dizzy out 180 and had a back fire. Obviously my fault should have checked everything closer and I fixed it. Boat runs great now.

After the back fire I was tuning in the driveway and there was a bunch of water pooring in the bilge. Not normal. I took the floor section up and found my two stock fiberglass mufflers had exploded. Lol

With a weekend ahead and not having my boat running for such a long time I found some extra exhaust hose in my storage and piped it straight out the back. I honestly like the sound. The wife says it's loud but eh.

https://youtu.be/AQ3-z-ytBSc

1986sn 2001
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 11:46pm
I have run both on my boats. Never noticed a power advantage. Loved the open pipe sound, especially when you fire it at the dock and the gear heads all turn to see what you are running.
Separately we did a lot of ski time when maybe it was not fully legal. Midnight runs come to mind.   Full moon runs are incredible on glass you can only dream of.
At these times the mufflers do a great job of cutting your noise exposure.
Mufflers also allow conversation in the back of your boat.
I see the positive in both and have enjoyed both but chose to stay with mufflers for now.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic