NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75' SN Starter?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75' SN Starter?
    Posted: February-03-2016 at 9:59pm
Hey Guys,
Is this the right starter for my 75' SN with a 351?
Starter
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 12:19am
Well I'll jump in and say NO.

Looking at what that cross references to in your link, it crosses to an ARCO 70107 which is a CCW rotating starter with a 2 inch nose on it.

The starter rotation of CCW is right for a RR engine, which I'll have to assume you have since it's in a 75 SN.

The nose depth is wrong, it should be 2 3/8 inches so the teeth can mate with the teeth on the ring gear..

An ARCO 70201 would work. It's the newer style starter and it's CCW rotating for a RR engine and it has a 2 3/8 nose depth. It takes some relatively easy wiring changes to work correctly.

It seems like the old style ARCO replacement is discontinued, but I'm sure there are places that have it or some other companies version of it. It's number is 70101.

Hope this helps,
KenO
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 12:25am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well I'll jump in and say NO.

Looking at what that cross references to in your link, it crosses to an ARCO 70107 which is a CCW rotating starter with a 2 inch nose on it.

The starter rotation of CCW is right for a RR engine, which I'll have to assume you have since it's in a 75 SN.

The nose depth is wrong, it should be 2 3/8 inches so the teeth can mate with the teeth on the ring gear..

An ARCO 70201 would work. It's the newer style starter and it's CCW rotating for a RR engine and it has a 2 3/8 nose depth. It takes some relatively easy wiring changes to work correctly.

It seems like the old style ARCO replacement is discontinued, but I'm sure there are places that have it or some other companies version of it. It's number is 70101.

Hope this helps,
KenO

You Sir, are a genius!
Thanks
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 12:28am
How about this one?
Starter 2
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 1:01am
I think you got a winner there.

Looking at cross references and their description it's CCW rotating and has a 2 3/8 nose depth.

You do realize Pete will come on early in the morning and wonder what's wrong with your's and suggest that you rebuild it don't you?
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 1:33am
I went down to the local starter/generator guy and he said that since that starter is replaced by the newer technology, that the armature and other innards are so expensive that its cheaper to buy them on ebay!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 6:19am

You do realize Pete will come on early in the morning and wonder what's wrong with your's and suggest that you rebuild it don't you?

Ken,
You sure have me pegged!!
Tom,
Regarding the new technology, he is correct that many starters now use a permanent magnet design and are geared but, the "old" technology worked for many years!! What is your present starter doing or not doing? Did he test the armature on the "growler"? If bad, that's the only expensive part. If it's working intermittently, it may be as simple as brushes and a communtator clean up? You are getting power to it correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 9:22am
Hi Tom

I noticed that you called me a genius up above I wouldn't think that if I was you.
Just somebody who's been around these things a long time and made my share of mistakes.

One thought that popped into my head was that you have something other than a Pleasurecraft engine like maybe a Commander.

Pretty sure they take the same nose depth starter but your absolutely best check is to measure the old one before you order something

You could always let the starter guy check it out too.

KenO
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ken,
You sure have me pegged!!
Tom,
Regarding the new technology, he is correct that many starters now use a permanent magnet design and are geared but, the "old" technology worked for many years!! What is your present starter doing or not doing? Did he test the armature on the "growler"? If bad, that's the only expensive part. If it's working intermittently, it may be as simple as brushes and a communtator clean up? You are getting power to it correct?

Hey Pete,
He did test it and just told me the starter was bad. He did mention the armature, and told me that by the time he got done buying the parts, paying UPS and adding in his labor, he just recommended buying a new one on this particular starter, because it was getting so rare. I am getting power.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic