Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mustang 17 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 11:00am
wow,I thought I had done a lot of work on my Mustang ! Looks great.
Watch your fingers.

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 1:53pm
Got back in town and back on the project. Engine in pretty well buttoned up and will post pics later. Now working on the hull. Mike on Dirty Jobs should take on a re-gel job!! This has got to be the nastiest job going in boat rebuilds. You can see in the pics just how bad the blisters are. Look like potato chips glued to the hull. Fortunately only the area below the water line is affected. Hope to shoot gel this next week. Have to finish grinding then patch, veil, fair, sand and prep first.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 2:02pm
Awesome work
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 2:48pm
Engine is "mocked up" while I degree in the camshaft.
Specs:
302 bored .060 over, Sealed Power pistons and rings
Comp Cams custom ground cam shaft .486 lift
Edelbrock Performer type dual plane intake
New Holley marine carb
FloTek alum. cylinder heads, ported and polished
Intake and exhaust manifolds port matched
Needle bearing roller rocker arms
Mallory ignition w/ Flame Thrower coil
Cleavite 77 bearings
High volume oil pump
I realize it ain't stock or original but with the motor cover down who's to know??

1978 Mustang (modified)
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 2:50pm
Looks awesome great work. I bet it will rip now
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 4:54pm
you better check your flame arrester clearance to bottom of dog house I have a tricked out mustang that had clearance issues had to make a spacer on bottom. btw nice work.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 5:19pm
Duane,
Wow! It sure looks and sounds like you built up one H of an engine! Watch yourself when you get out in that boat. Why the high volume oil pump?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Duane,
Wow! It sure looks and sounds like you built up one H of an engine! Watch yourself when you get out in that boat. Why the high volume oil pump?

Pete, Advice on the "Watch yourself" is well taken. I will heed your advice as that has been on my mind also. The boat has had no ill manners before and hope it stays that way. Of course that was before removing about 300-400 pounds of saturated foam. Engine will be about 75 lb lighter also. I am looking more into acceleration rather than sustained WOT runs. The hull has about 1/8" of hook in the last 24". I can either leave it as is or flatten it out.    I made two battery box locations, one standard under the seat and another in very rear. That will allow me to move weight around if needed. Am sure open to suggestions on the hull configuration (hook or flat). High volume but standard pressure pumps have always been my choice in cars I have built. They tend to work well on "seasoned" engines. ie: lifter bores,side clearance issues on reground cranks ect. It's just cheap insurance.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 6:16pm
Trust me Duane, I know how dirty that job is. What did you use to grind off the old Gel? Did it leave you with a lot of fairing?

You could finish 10 projects to my 1 at this pace.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 6:24pm
C-Bass,    Using a 9" Milwaukee disc grinder with 24 grit disc. I plan to fair the entire hull that was below the water line. That is where the blisters are. Taking it down to bare glass because of fear that they may reappear. Hope to shoot gel by first of week. Grinder gets HEAVY.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 8:53pm
I am not sure this is the place to ask this but.... with Hussler trying trim tabs, people grinding hook out of the early hulls. has anyone thought about what actually catches the water and causes that god awful bow dive and steering wheel ripping out of your hands as it exits right. or left. is it the (forgive me for the wrong terminology) those hard sharp chines? if so can the hull be modified with the idea of top speed safety instead of a small wake? Is there something else in the fiberglass that can be restructured other than weight distribution, hook, and prop strut design?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Duane,
Why the high volume oil pump?

High volume but standard pressure pumps have always been my choice in cars I have built. They tend to work well on "seasoned" engines. ie: lifter bores,side clearance issues on reground cranks ect. It's just cheap insurance.

Duane,
It's always been my opinion that high volume pumps are used on engines with larger than normal bearing clearances and not needed on a fresh rebuild with clearances to spec. I sure may be wrong and it sounds like you've rebuilt more than I so fill me in on your ideas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 7:14am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I am not sure this is the place to ask this but.... with Hussler trying trim tabs, people grinding hook out of the early hulls. has anyone thought about what actually catches the water and causes that god awful bow dive and steering wheel ripping out of your hands as it exits right. or left. is it the (forgive me for the wrong terminology) those hard sharp chines?

Peter,
My understanding of what happens is pretty basic and along the same lines as your idea. The bow takes a nose dive planting the hulls stem and keel in the water and then any hull roll causes the chine to catch the water. When that happens you get the violent aft to bow turn the same that's intentionally done with the "180's" or what I call the bat cave turns. The difference between the two is when the turn is done intentionally, the power is chopped whereas with the unintentional the power is maintained. With the maintained power and the chine catching (locking) the hull continues the roll and then the worst is a hull flip. This is what happened to a friends overpowered Chris Craft reproduction. The Grand Crafts copy of Chris's hull and then with a modern high power engine isn't a combination to take lightly. In fact, I seem to recall Grand Craft has some law suits on this problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 7:37am

Duane,
It's always been my opinion that high volume pumps are used on engines with larger than normal bearing clearances and not needed on a fresh rebuild with clearances to spec. I sure may be wrong and it sounds like you've rebuilt more than I so fill me in on your ideas.

Pete, You are correct on your thinking. Seasoned engines tend to have clearances toward the high side because of wear in lifter bores and side clearances on the crank due to regrinding the journals (also if you have drilled .016 holes in the oil plugs to lube the timing chain better).. Clearances between bearings and journals diameter is in spec. Not crazy about High Pressure pumps but I like idea of extra volume to make up for any leakage. High pressure is only needed when you are running a lot of compression and need that extra cushion of oil. Just one of my habits I guess and pumps are cheap. I always use new pumps on rebuilds.
Race team mentality I guess as we go thru LOTS of parts per weekend. (8000 hp eats parts)
        1978 Mustang (modified)
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 9:20am
Pete .Do you then on that line of thinking feel there is a potential to modify the hulls to cet the odds of it happening? I know its not original but if someone is so hell bent on taking these boats to a level speed wise .maybe some grinding , reglassing and general reshaping?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 10:04am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Pete . if someone is so hell bent on taking these boats to a level speed wise .maybe some grinding , reglassing and general reshaping?

It can be done however I feel it takes plenty of experimenting and guessing. If you think about the evolution of the hull all the way from the start with simple displacement hulls to what's out there today plenty has happened. Back in the "gentlemen's" racing days when they were putting BIG HP's in displacement hulls, there was plenty of the experimenting and guessing and plenty of crashes too! All the boat manufacturers including CC have gone through the changes and the risk. Several, including myself have mentioned the riskiest are tabs on a high HP Mustang hull to intentionally plant the nose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 10:05am
I have the same issue with my mustang, at wot in light choppy waters it can violently turn on you if your not paying attention. the boat has been fitted with a 360 Chrysler pushing over 400 hp. the hull is bone stock, it has happened 2 times now, the second time it tossed 2 passengers totally out of the boat. we were very lucky.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 10:16am
Look at any boat of the era including CC and you'll see they all ran bow high and for a reason. Even as the HP's were increasing, they kept the engine towards the aft to keep the bow high.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 1:03pm
WOW....Nice work all the way around!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2016 at 3:40pm
Been a while since updating so I thought I would share a few pictures. Am very close to making some noise. Have to finish plumbing and wiring. Oil is in and pre lubed. Need to hang tranny and starter and odds and ends. Hoping to bolt it up to the dyno for the run in if we have the right brackets. Exhaust usually goes out thru the roof, that won't work with water so may have to figure out something with buckets and pumps. Gauge panel on rear of engine contains the oil pressure, starter solenoid, main breaker, hour meter, remote starter and kill switch. With the doghouse down it all looks original Anyway here are the pics.

1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 1:14pm
Just finished the initial run in on the engine. Rather uneventful other than a couple of water leaks. One on the RWP (gasket), the other the back side of the water pump. That one will entail a fair amount of work. Oil at idle around 45psi and at rpm was around 60+. That is where I like it. Water ran at 135. Exactly what the stat is. Sounds strong, we will know how strong soon!! Still a month away from initial voyage. No tranny creep either. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2016 at 1:12pm
Finally racing season is over and I can concentrate my efforts back to the Mustang. Hull faired out and ready for gel

Ready for wet sand and buff

As soon as my masks arrive I can apply stripes and Mustang 17 to the sides. Still up in the air as to whether use paint or gel for the graphics and then clear. Have 1 gallon of clear gel coat on hand.

Recommendations ???

BTW: Gel coat is a major PITA
        1978 Mustang (modified)
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2016 at 2:25pm
Looks good Duane. You manage a much quicker pace than I did. How did the gel application go? I agree that re-gel is a PITA. I remember that dust all too well.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2016 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Looks good Duane. You manage a much quicker pace than I did. How did the gel application go? I agree that re-gel is a PITA. I remember that dust all too well.

Craig, Once I figured out what I was doing it went much better. Shot with a 3.0mm tip. Last coat thinned with more Styrene than the build up coats and orange peel was tolerable. Sanded next to last coat and then layed down several thinned coats. Last one with wax additive. That makes sanding much easier. Hope to flip the hull over soon. The deck should be easy in comparison to hull. The hull had blistered badly below the water line..
Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 7:40am
Started on graphics on the Mustang. All of the hull is now new gel coat. Painted the stripes on the transom. Blue matches the interior. "Mustang 17" stencil masks have arrived as well as the registration number masks. The side stripes will need to be laid out by hand and masked. As soon as I get them shot then I can flip the boat and finish the gel on the deck.

1978 Mustang (modified)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 10:39am
Great work, that's going to be a sharp boat.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 11:02am
Duane,
We've got to see this thing in Green Lake next summer !!!!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 11:10am
Duane,
I sure agree that it's looking fantastic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 1:16pm
WOW...Nice work!!

Paul
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 6:13pm
Got one side shot now. Will wet sand in a day or so and then buff it out. Move on over to the opposite side next.

1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic