NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Performance Upgrades Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
t.franscioni View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 9:54am
Yes I get that. Just a little sarcasm on my part.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 2:24pm
Hey Thomas, I've been reading on the other site as well, very interesting discussion even if a bit over my head. As a GT-40 owner I appreciate all the work to find solutions to the ECM support issue.

Yes, we get a bit off track at times here, but it generally is something useful like an electric connector discussion, I've learned a ton on this site. I've been looking more and posting on the other site lately, enjoy it and it's a different group and different discussion so interesting to spend time on both.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 3:17pm
Agree 100% . CCF has a better sense of humor though in my opinion.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 10:26pm
Tom I used this kit but it previously came with a new ford connector.
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/diypnp-ford-60-pin-eec-iv-unassembled-kit-no-connector/
I have since moved the ECM up under the driver side dash panel. With an extension cable I manufactured. I think one of the reasons the original PCM GT40 ECM's are starting to fail on these engines besides age is the amount of heat cycles they have endured under the engine cover.
I verified the logged ignition table at a few points with a timing light and then transferred those values straight into the Megasquirt ECM. The fuel table required quite a bit of trial and error. In fact I am still adjusting it, that is part of the fun. When Adam and Tim visited last year there was quite a few back to back barefoot runs that showed I was a bit too fat on the top end of my table. Previously I had hardly ever used that section of the fuel table. Being able to log and then re tune makes this a fun project that just keeps giving. Hey I may even add that stroker kit so i can start all over again.

If you decide to go with the Megasquirt I can supply you with my tables. The block for the O2 sensor was the one Alan had made for his 81 when doing engine upgrades but never used. He kindly sent it all the way to Oz. I made up a elbow to get it further away from the wet exhaust if the O2 sensor failed but it has not been required yet.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 10:51pm
Very cool. Ya that's about 80% of the reason I want to do a megasquirt for my GT40... should provide for many future hours of tinkering time on the lake and in the shop. Note my email T.Franscioni@icloud.com if you could send me the tables or tuning file whatever you got that would be awesome. Iv never tuned an EFI system before so it would be nice to have some good info to load onto the megasquirt to get me going and then in meantime I can begin working on tinkering with data logging and making adjustments and experimenting for fun.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I don't want to talk for Jbear but we must have used a million of them,they work in the proper use and sure beat the alternative. In Marks defense the picture of them above is not the megasquirt kit. In the telephone industry,before scotchloc's they would strip about 1" of insulation off a wire twist them together then slide a closed ended tube filled with some sort of grease over it. It relied on the grease to keep them on. Then they went to a connector called a " pumpkin seed" you'd do the same but they would crimp on,they were better because they didn't fall off as easy.

yup...scotchlocs were the boss Gary....but they sure helped to cut down on our overtime! Had to laugh remembering the twist and the little cloth tube. Was cleaning out the attic getting ready to move and found a box of 1000 'beanies' or in your lingo...'pumpkin seeds.

sorry Tom to be boring you........

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 1:41am
No no go ahead....I'm just a groupie
Rlbarrasjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbarrasjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 12:11am
Lewy2001, sent you a pm... any info you have on your megasquirt setup would be appreciated. I'm considering the same conversation and maybe setting up closed loop scheme. rbarras@gmail.com
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 8:04pm
This is an old thread but it started with someone looking for more power out of a 351W GT40 engine.
I have not read anywhere on here of someone installing a set of AFR heads. There are some trick heads out there developed for the Mustang market but they out flow a GT40 by a fair amount.   More flow = more HP potential.
I saw a set of AFR 185 heads on Craigslist slightly used for $1,100 and I was tempted to try them but my GT 40 runs so well I am reluctant to play with it.   I think they could run 40 HP stronger than the GT 40 heads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbarrasjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 5:15pm
I helped Thomas awhile back with testing the GT40 replacement computer options. I will be doing power adders at some point on my boat. I have done the research on the MEgaSquirt, but I'm also exchanging emails and working with the guys that support Ford EEC-IV Binary Editor and TunerPRO to get a definition file made to tune the factory PCM GT40 computer. I'll post any info I receive.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 10:56pm
If you can break the code and come up with a not super expensive way to add power to the GT-40 you will be a hero to a lot of people on here.
I’ll be watching this one
anm2254 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anm2254 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 11:03am
Are all GT40 heads the same?
Can I use a Mustang/explorer set on my 86 Martinique?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 12:48pm
Yes all GT 40 heads are the same. Hard to find and usually costly due to 5.0 guys using them. Came on 5.8 Cobras,Lightening trucks, and of course GT40 boat engines. GT 40 p's came on 5.0 Explorer's and Mountaineer's are more common. Exhaust manifold fitment issues on cars but no troubles on marine. You would need brass freeze plugs installed and the head bolts drilled out to 1/2". Actually marginally out flow GT 40's and are the best stock production Ford heads.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbarrasjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

If you can break the code and come up with a not super expensive way to add power to the GT-40 you will be a hero to a lot of people on here.
I’ll be watching this one

It is done!!! Core Tuning compiled a definition file for the 300m marine gt-40 using their Binary Editor Software. I was emailing Clint and Ben for months to get it ready. This can also be used on earlier e290 ecus. I just got it loaded. Going to do some test using the QuarterHorse Chip in the coming weeks. The definition is MCSR1. There are way more parameters defined than what i expected. see screen shot. It is supposed to be able to datalog too.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 7:22pm
Awesome! Let us know how things progress. Seems it's been a good year for current GT-40 owners   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 9:58pm
Any updates to the GT40 Performance Upgrade?
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbarrasjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 10:46pm
it all works. Get a quarterhorse package from coretuning.. http://www.coretuning.net/
Email Clint first (Clint@eecanalyzer.net) before buying to make sure he knows you need the MCSR1 definition file.

remember this is all DIY tuning. If you need help with the actual tuning itself for whatever mods you made i recommend reaching out to Adam at pops racing or Mike with efidynotuning.

http://www.popsracing.com/services.html

http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 10:04pm
Rusty

Using that MCSR1 strategy you can view BOTH the 300M and E290 tune? Or is this MCSR1 just for the 300M? Out of curiosity I’d sure like to compare and contrast the two tunes and see what changes PCM made.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 11:02pm
Did this upgrade just allow you to get a dead ECU running or are you putting more ponies to the water with the tune?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbarrasjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 11:09pm
yes.. the MCSR1 strategy will open both calibrations, but i wouldnt use e290 at all. the 300m seems to be a more mature calibration.

Biggest thing to notice it that they drop some spark and richen up the upper rpm range. they made some adjustments to lower/smooth idle too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbarrasjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 11:15pm
here a google sheet to all the differences

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U3fmH4CpZZruHfRYuz6SNfSReoY2ZpM-O8wOg5WmV6M/edit?usp=sharing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbarrasjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 11:21pm

Did this upgrade just allow you to get a dead ECU running or are you putting more ponies to the water with the tune?

both! sort of. the dead ecu replacement with the chips that places are selling are taking this same family of hardware and loading a stock tune/calibration on it to get up and running.

this software addition will let you manipulate/tune that stock calibration file for any performance upgrades you do. it also does datalogging. personally i plan to put a stroker rotating assembly in mine and i'll need to tune for it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 11:31pm
[QUOTE=Rlbarrasjr] yes.. the MCSR1 strategy will open both calibrations, but i wouldnt use e290 at all. the 300m seems to be a more mature calibration.

Biggest thing to notice it that they drop some spark and richen up the upper rpm range. they made some adjustments to lower/smooth idle too.

Very cool. Thanks for taking these next steps this will undoubtedly come in handy for people. I like your stroker plan. Make sure and do a write up of that mod.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Rlbarrasjr Rlbarrasjr wrote:

personally i plan to put a stroker rotating assembly in mine and i'll need to tune for it.

Personally I would go roller cam, roller rockers and a nice set of AFR heads then see how it tunes, that combo should put you close to the 400 ponies mark.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 4:13am
Does any know what years pcm used the e290 and 300m calibrations? I have a 99 GT40 with the original ECM.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 10:32am
I have a engine with 1998 date codes on some components - it has the 300 tune.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 11:19am
Talking to people and helping program chips these are the years/tune revisions Iv come up with. Correct me if I’m wrong.

95- 58HO tune
96- 290M tune
97-some 98- E290 tune
Some 98-2002- 300M tune
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

Does any know what years pcm used the e290 and 300m calibrations? I have a 99 GT40 with the original ECM.

If you read the sticker on your ECM you'll know what you have for sure

Here's a picture of a sticker

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 12:15pm
Tom my May of 95 SS has the 290 in it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 7:55pm
Thank you! I appreciate the picture!

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

If you read the sticker on your ECM you'll know what you have for sure

Here's a picture of a sticker

1999 Longhorn Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic