Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Source for dizzy gear?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Source for dizzy gear?
    Posted: January-10-2016 at 9:52pm
I’m looking for a “reverse rotation” drive gear for a new Pertronix distributer for my
(now) 1974 Ford 302 V-8.
Engine is not original to the boat.
It is a Ford "302" producing 220 hp. or more (“351” heads.)
It is a "Right Hand" (reverse) turning engine (viewed from rear.)
It is a Ford "small block" marinized with components from an engine originally built by Crusader (Parent company was Thermo Electron Marine Engines -- Thermo Electron sold its Crusader line to Pleasurecraft.)
The cam is new, right-hand rotation.
We really don't know who built the “original” engine -- possibly someone other than Crusader (now Pleasurecraft Marine or "PCM”.)

I’ve lost the paperwork on my purchase of the distributor. :-)
I’ve disposed of the “original” distributor. : -(
I bought this one from someone other than Pertronix and was told it was for a “reverse” engine. It is not.
Pertronix does not make the gear I need. The fellow on their “tech line” could not give me a source for the gear.

Any ideas as to where I can find one?
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 10:09pm
e-bay 2 months ago.make a .500 bore and a .464 bore.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 10:26pm
I don't see one on ebay currently.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 11:21pm
There are a few listings on summit that might work........ But as you know the fords are hard to find reverse parts for.
You might end up buying a RR dizzy just for the gear
Probably regretting getting rid of that old dizzy now...
Old school goin back to school!
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 12:00am
I've talked to Summit. Nothing there. Yes, I regret dumping the old one. Local "old-timer" thinks there may be a local source. Should know soon.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 12:39am
Good! I hope it works out for you!
My first CC was a 1970 Mustang with a HM. The previous owner threw a lot of automotive parts at it including the distributor. I replaced it with a nice used mallory unit but the gear was wrong and of course didn't slide right into place! After a whole lot of panic, research and phone calls I was able to replace the gear with the one from my old dizzy! So needless to say I know EXACTLY where your at right now! It'll work out, nice engine and boat by the way!
Old school goin back to school!
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 1:02am
Originally posted by JDD33 JDD33 wrote:

I know EXACTLY where your at right now! It'll work out, nice engine and boat by the way!

Thanks, we'll solve it. Have oil in it and all the wires in harness, except for dizzy. Zero here this A.M., so waiting for a break to launch & test run anyway. We've run the oil pump, as you can see . . .
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 1:05am
Is that Ralph Meloon?
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 1:06am
No, Bud Eiler.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 6:49am
ebasic shows 2 gears,   e-bay has 3,   Summit pt #MAA-28714A
just need to check their diameter
Worst case scenario if they are .500 is to either turn the shaft down or bush the gear. Neither is a tough lathe job
Good luck
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

either turn the shaft down or bush the gear. Neither is a tough lathe job
Good luck

Great option and I agree very basic on the lathe. The only challenge may be positioning the new gear vertically on the shaft. Measure the original but, even if off slightly it won't matter with straight cut gears.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 7:20am
If new gear is drilled then its a no-brainer. Otherwise do like Pete said.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

If new gear is drilled then its a no-brainer. Otherwise do like Pete said.

Duane,
If the new gear requires machining (or the shaft), then chances are high that the cross drilled holes in the gear and shaft aren't in the correct place.
Grant,
Take a few measurements!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 9:56am
DUI offers RR gears for their dizzys.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 10:24am
Just wondering how accurate your calipers are.

The typical early Ford 302 distributor had a shaft diameter of 0.467 inches where the gear mounts and people like Mallory, Prestolite etc. made their shafts the same diameter although the hole location for the pin varied. Maybe Pertronix decided to be a little different, or your measurement needs double checking.

Do a search for Sierra 18-26823. It's a 302 RR gear with a .467 inch inner diameter. It's a replacement for a Mallory gear. Ebasic has that one listed.

Whatever you do, you need a cast iron gear or you'll have issues with wear of the camshaft or gear.

KenO

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 10:43am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Whatever you do, you need a cast iron gear or you'll have issues with wear of the camshaft or gear.
KenO

Some Joe Gibbs break in grease and then an engine oil with a good ZDDP content doesn't hurt ether!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 12:14pm
Thanks for all responses, opinions & advice.
The measurement I posted of lower shaft is WRONG!
Correct diameter is .449
Yes, we will grease before final assembly. (Already done that once.)
And the ZDDP has been added.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 12:51pm
Do yourself a favor and take the gear off the shaft and measure the shaft right where the gear sits, it's usually a little bigger like about .015".or so.

That would add up to the .464" you got when you measured above the gear, but you gotta take it off anyways, so measure right where it goes.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 1:56pm
Grant

do a search for the 2015 pertronix catalog and scroll down to page 40 "Billet distributor Dimensions" and you'll see the ID listed for their drive gear on their 302. distributor

It's .467 inches, wrong direction of course since you say they don'r sell a RR, but get the Sierra gear I mentioned a couple posts ago (18-26823) and the worst you would have to do is drill a new hole for the pin if it's at a different height..

KenO

GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 7:50pm
Thanks for help so far.

A good friend died recently. (You'll see more on my website, grantmaclaren.com / Howard, RIP )

I'm still looking for the dizzy gear. Page 40 of '15 Pertronix catalog shows gear for Chevy only. My engine builder tells me Mallory 28034A is the one I need, but many sources tell me it's not available from them (even tho it shows up in their many catalogs.) I'm beginning to think I might end up buying some other brand dizzy.

AND

AND

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 7:56pm
Forgot to mention, I did look at Sierra gear. $90? That would go a long way towards another distributor:
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 7:58pm
And KENO, I did observe the "shoulder" on the shaft at gear bottom.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 8:00pm
why is your cam going opposite your crank
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 8:01pm
It's gear driven, not chain.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 8:04pm
So you have a LH cam but need a RH dist gear? Is the cam gear RH? I am hella confused
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 8:11pm
O"riley Auto Mallory Ignition - Distributor Drive Gear
Line: MAL | Part # 28034A
$57.99 Each

E-bay NIB OMC 5.0L 5.8L FORD 351W Ignition Distributor Mallory 28714A Gear Reverse Rot
Distributor Gear for Mallory Ford 351 W RH Rotation 28714A $48.95

Ebasic powerDistributor Gear for Mallory Ford 351 W RH Rotation 28714A $49.99
        1978 Mustang (modified)
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 8:15pm
My sketch is a view from the rear of the engine, therefore "reverse" or "right-hand" rotation.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 8:20pm
Like Pete said "measure from end of shaft to bottom of gear before removing it" close counts does not need to be perfect Took me all of 10 minutes to change mine.,
        1978 Mustang (modified)
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 8:30pm
Duane, do you think this is it?
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 9:00pm
WTF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic