NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Source for dizzy gear?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 9:13pm
I'll agree with Tim..................................... WTF

You're the ................................... that threw away the old distributor which more than likely had the gear you need. (fill in the blank yourself)

You have a Sierra part number, but it's too expensive.

Don't use Duane's number, it'll be a really, really sloppy fit

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 9:57pm
OOPS the 28714a was the wrong # on e-bay.   Pace Performance and O"Riley have the gear below. I copied and pasted from their ad the following:

Mallory Distributor Drive Gear 28034A
Mallory
Mallory - Mallory Distributor Drive Gear 28034A
Click on image to zoom

SKU: 28034A
LH Rotation - Shaft Outside/Gear Inside Dia. .467 in. - For Reverse Rotation Engine - Alloy Steel
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 10:11pm
Grant

I'm still on the WTF train of thought

I looked at your website and your engine originally had a timing chain.

Look at engine page 9 on YOUR website and you'll clearly see the chain right near the cam gear in the pile of parts along with your RR distributor that's long gone.

Your comments on distributor clockwise rotation make no sense for a small block Ford distributor.

Given your confusion/misinformation you need to spit out some accurate info if you're going to get this right.

Anything posted today is pretty confusing

GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 10:42pm
You are right - - I AM

I was told the cam was directly gear-driven.

Glad I made those photos and glad you looked at them.

Now I am more confused than ever and can't think of how this distributor can be made to function on this engine.

Sorry to have caused confusion.

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Grant,
It looks like you've already spent plenty so what's another $80 for a gear?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:05pm
No problem, nobody's perfect, I know I'm not. I usually learn something from my mistakes

Even if a gear drive setup was newly put in the cam will still rotate the same direction as the crankshaft because of the idler gears.

Being curious and stubborn, how about a picture of this distributor from the top showing the flyweights.

How about serial numbers or whatever for the Pertronix distributor.

GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:22pm
Per request:
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:28pm
I thought it should rotate counter-clockwise, but others showed me how the springs behaved when the shaft was rotated while the top mechanism is held tight. They had me convinced the dizzy should rotate clockwise.(To me, the weights should swing from the pivots at the LEADING edge of the weights.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:32pm
Hi Grant

It looks to me like the flyweights get thrown outwards when the distributor is rotating counterclockwise.

That would be right for a Ford.

I think you just need a gear.
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Grant,
It looks like you've already spent plenty so what's another $80 for a gear?

It's not the money fr the gear. It's that I'm not sure it will work, and it seems I might be buying another dizzy altogether.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:35pm

It looks to me like the flyweights get thrown outwards when the distributor is rotating counterclockwise.

That's what I thought, but was convinced otherwise.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 12:00am
Another sketch:

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:08am

Hi Grant

That would be right for a Ford.

I think you just need a gear.

Am I missing something here? To me it appears the dizzy should turn CW in order to push the heads of weights outwards.

I know it's automotive and a GM, but in this vid it shows a CW dizzy rotation swinging the weights, not CCW.

Go to the 6:00 minute mark to see what I'm referring to:

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:11am
Hi Grant

Go to ebasicpower.com and type in SIE 18-26823

You might be surprised at the price

KenO
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:21am
As for as the weights,you could stick the shaft in a 1/2 inch reversible drill and see which way makes the weights get flung outwards

Then you'll know for sure
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:39am
Don't get your hopes up with ebasicpower until you have the part in your hands. Something's they show are dropped shipped. I found that out with PCM cooling parts
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:49am
Doughtful there is a distributor that turns opposite,there would then be a need for a reverse rotation oil pump then
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 11:25am
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj8w6f4wa7KAhUBdj4KHVlLCYoQtwIIHDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1_0p6OCg8VQ&usg=AFQjCNFogh5zgRhMvfxbMJdBJffRcP4gJw

Don't have a clue if the link I tried to post will actually work, I'm sure somebody will make it work though. (J Pass is good at that)

If not do a google search for   "Pertronix youtube Episode 34 part 1" and at about the 10 minute mark and several times after that you'll see good shots of a Pertronix advance mechanism in a 302 Ford distributor.

Looks just like Grant's setup

Don't forget, no matter the engine rotation, the distributor always turns CCW in these SBF's
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 11:09pm
Thanks again for all the help.
(I'll post this as soon as CCF is functioning again. It's not working at all for me as I write this.)

OF COURSE the dizzy rotates Counter Clockwise -- the same way I spun the oil pump to "prime" the oil system. duh!

I looked at the youtube showing the Pertronix Flame Thrower III, but did not see any rotation. No matter, just my comment saying I did view it. Also, not important, mine has the Flame Thrower II -- without the rev limiter.

I've now seem 100s of photos of the chain-driven cam in the 302.

The Sierra gear appears to be a good one, maybe the best for me.

Wish I could see all the recent comments. I'll look at them when I'm back on CC Fan.

BTW, it might interest you to know I phoned the tech line at Pertronix 3 times in the past week. At first, looking for the gear I need. The gear they do not make, nor sell. Each time I asked: "Looking at it from the top, which way does your distributor turn on a "right-hand" Ford 302?" Not a one of the three could answer.

Yes, I know it was downright stupid of me to can my old distributor. (I've promised to free up one of 3 garage bays for my wife's car. Pitching old motor stuff was part of that effort.)

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2016 at 8:51am
The you tube video reference was to show the flyweight arrangement in that 302 distributor,

It's the same as yours.

A Chevy distributor rotates CW and the flyweight arrangement is a mirror image of that due to the opposite rotation. You can find shots of that also on you tube

Just sayin' your advance mechanism is correct

KenO
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2016 at 10:31am

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj8w6f4wa7KAhUBdj4KHVlLCYoQtwIIHDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1_0p6OCg8VQ&usg=AFQjCNFogh5zgRhMvfxbMJdBJffRcP4gJw

Don't have a clue if the link I tried to post will actually work, I'm sure somebody will make it work though. (J Pass is good at that)

If not do a google search for   "Pertronix youtube Episode 34 part 1" and at about the 10 minute mark and several times after that you'll see good shots of a Pertronix advance mechanism in a 302 Ford distributor.

Looks just like Grant's setup

Don't forget, no matter the engine rotation, the distributor always turns CCW in these SBF's

Here you go KENO

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:05am
Well, I'll be . . . .
Look what I just found on youtube!

Here's its model number:

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:18am
ALSO -- as Ken informed me here, the shaft diameter differs from base diameter to diameter under gear. The new gear will be carefully fitted to the shaft, both diameter, and distance from shaft end. Thanks to all -- esp. Ken -- I've learned more than I thought I'd ever need, or want, to know about dizzy gears.

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 9:41am
Nice "find" Grant

Grant seems to have stumbled into a 351W RR gear rather cheaply and his engine guy/machinist is going to bush it to get the correct ID just like Duane suggested.
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 3:48pm
This may explain why Pertronix does not find it necessary to provide RH rotation gears for their distributors:
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 5:38pm
Welcome to the world of Pertronix,you won't find many happy users here. D.U.I seem to be the performance distributor of choice and come with the proper gear for your application

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Welcome to the world of Pertronix,you won't find many happy users here. D.U.I seem to be the performance distributor of choice and come with the proper gear for your application

Grant,
I sure agree with Gary and sure hope you picked up that Pertronix real cheap. Don't forget to factor in the gear you thought was expensive! When you make a purchase like this, I'd say it pays to ask here first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 8:33pm
Pictures, . . . always asking for pictures . . .
So, here are two pictures:

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 12:41pm
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 2:08pm
Looks good Grant

I did the easy part, Duane.s the talented one who did the hard part.

Since the 302 RR gears are pretty scarce and expensive these days, Duane took a 351 RR gear and sleeved it to fit the shaft, drilled a new hole for the pin and you're in business.

Maybe Duane will post any issues he may have run into since this might be the easiest route for people with a 302RR if needing a new gear

KenO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic