Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1992 Sport Floor Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2018 at 11:03pm
Thanks. Wish I had more time to work on it and it wasn’t so far away.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 12:31am
I have been making progress. I have gotten fiberglass over the floor. I put down a layer of the 10 oz cloth and a layer of chopped strand mat. The chopped strand is thirsty, I used over a half gallon of resin per side on the mat alone.

I have gotten the boards in the back epoxied down that support the gas tank.

I have also started the process of putting fairing on the bilge. I started sanding it with my palm sander and 80 grit paper. If I continue with that plan it appears I will be here for a few months trying to get the bilge smooth. Does anyone have any tips for sanding the bilge smooth? What is the best tool? Any tips for spreading the fairing compound?
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 11:15pm
I learned a valuable lesson about fairing compound, don't mix it like peanut butter to smooth out areas. I watched a video on boatworkstoday.com that shows the process after the fact. I should have been doing more sanding before applying the fairing compound. Now I have a lot of work ahead of me. Any tips for smoothing out fairing that has been built up too much and is rough?
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 11:27pm
Brent,
With a big area like a bilge, I've found a small amount at a time is best. A good parallel example would be mudding drywall. They put on a small amount at a time and barely need to sand.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 7:40am
Yeah, I was bad at finishing drywall as well. My plan is to try the belt sander next and see how it does. I spent 2.5 hours on a section a few feet long this past weekend with my random orbit sander and 40 grit. US Composite’s website says the SM fairing is easy sanding. If so, I would hate to sand whatever is not easy in their book. After getting the high spots down I plan to put on a thin coat to fill in the stubborn voids.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 3:47pm
I'm still working on it. First I put the primer on the bilge,

then I put the top coats on.

Now I am ready to start mounting brackets, running wires and cables, and I am still working on replacing the cutlass bushing. I have cut it, but can't seem to get it to come out of the strut. I am going to try more persuasive means, next chance I get.
'92 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 4:28pm
Brent,
Looking great. From the pictures, it looks like you faired it very nice. What are you using for the primer and finish coat in the bilge?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 5:52pm
Sorry Pete, I did not see this message. At some point I stopped getting email notifications. I used the Interlux Epoxy Primekote and Bilgekote. I read it on SkiBum's thread and it looked good. Thanks for the complement. I think it turned out pretty well. I learned a couple of lessons. First is to pay attention to the thinner used. The Primekote needs thinning a bit. I tried using the stuff that was meant to thin the Bilgekote and it didn't mix. I wasted a cup full. I only bought a quart of each and I barely had enough Primekote to put on the second coat.

Since then I have put in the cradle. Drilled holes, put in some CPES, put in some 5200, and cinched them down.

I also put in some of the carpet. I used the TEC skill indoor/outdoor carpet glue from Lowes. I saw some others had used it and it says it is good for marine carpet. I bought 2 gallons and have already gone through one and a little more.

I should have waited to run the wires and cables until the carpet was in, but it wasn't the worst thing working around them.

I also changed out the cutlass bushing while I had the chance.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 1:05am
I have made some progress. I got the trim glued in

Then I took a small step back when trying to make sure the motor mounts would move freely. Three of the four moved freely, but the rear starboard mount would not rotate or move in and out. The pin was frozen no matter how much persuasion, PB Blaster, and heat we used. Then we used too much persuasion

That ended all hopes of getting the boat in the water over Memorial Day weekend, but we pressed on thinking that if the motor was in the boat, the fourth motor mount could be bolted on after the fact Then we took a huge step back.. We got in too much of a hurry and due to using a hand winch we knew already had one broken tooth, we ended up breaking a second tooth and when we went to start letting the motor down it free fell into the bilge.

The two front motor mounts were damaged and the drain connection on the oil pan came loose, draining all of the oil I had just put in it, but otherwise it seems OK. We were able to borrow a 2 ton engine hoist, take off one wheel, do some maneuvering, and get the engine back out. What a sick feeling. I relay the story so that anyone who reads this knows never to use defective equipment and don't use a hand winch to lift your motor. Thank the Lord my brother and I weren't hurt, but a few inches and it could have been a really bad story. There was a sick feeling in my stomach and bad night of sleep that night for sure.

I still need to check the drive shaft at the coupling for run-out. I checked it near the prop and it was 0.003" or less, but I didn't check it near the coupling, where it might have gotten hit. Any other recommendations on what to look for? The bilge has a couple of scratches and the aluminum frame took a hit, but both are in serviceable condition. The only check we could think of on the engine was to rotate it by hand and make sure it was still getting compression. It was. The transmission output shaft spun freely no matter if it was in gear or not. Is this normal?
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2019 at 9:13am
I checked the coupling end of the shaft yesterday and it was right at .003” so it seems to straight.
'92 Sport Nautique
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2019 at 12:31pm
oh that really sucks!! I did the same thing a couple months ago! with a hand winch... thankfully only on the concrete, not in the boat! i cant imagine how sick of a feeling that was after alllll that hard work doing the stringers and floor. That was my biggest fear last week dropping my engine back in.

I found an oil pan for 20 bucks and that was it, started up and ran fine. Im sure yours will be the same they are pretty tough blocks of steel.

Glad no one was hurt!! But you should have read my post about not using crappy hand winches to lift the motor!
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2019 at 5:33pm
Wow. Really hate to see such a setback on your project. I've been watching this thread and really appreciate your quality of work. Thanks for sharing and hope to see you get back on track.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2019 at 3:08pm
Thanks for the encouragement. I should have known better, but I always think it won’t happen to me.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2019 at 3:40am
Got everything back on track today. Engine is back in and everything aligned. Went to start the first time and got a little back fire when trying to start. Figured out that #1 cylinder shifted, I guess when I primed the oil pump. Anyway, when I got it started the engine started racing up to 2500 rpm and I had enough time to look down the throat of the carb to see one barrel dumping gas with no visible gas on the other 3. I started with 2 turns on each of the idle screws. Tried to lean it out a half turn by screw-in with little to know response. I rebuilt the carb a while back. It was my first time rebuilding one, so take that for what it is worth. Any ideas?
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 1:44am
It was a very successful day. I figured out that the high idle was caused by an incorrectly placed spring opening the throttle some. The fuel dribbling was an incorrectly set float. I dropped it down a little and everything ran well from there. After working through a few other issues and setting timing and tuning the carb I went on a water test. Success! I got in a couple of slalom runs and my brother skied a couple of times and tried to deep water start on one. That will take a few more tries. Tomorrow the plan is to get the kids out there to enjoy the fruits of the labor God has blessed us with.
'92 Sport Nautique
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 11:56am
Brent, congratulations on getting it back in the water. Quite a project. I just reread the whole thread. Did you ever think it would take you 3 years to complete
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 3:11pm
I definitely didn’t think it would take this long. Three seasons plus the first part of this one was a lot. I was so excited to get out there and get a couple of pulls. The boat ran the best it has since I bought it. It was great that my Dad was able to go along on the first trip. We had a blast yesterday giving everyone a pull. I will have to get pictures up later.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 6:01pm

Back with some pictures.

Taking the boat for a test drive with my Dad.

We have taken the boat out a few times and it runs better than it did before I started this process. My daughter has learned to kneeboard

and my oldest son learned to ski a couple of days ago.

I don't have any great pictures of the boat finished as we have been having fun and putting it away late.

'92 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 6:20pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic