Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1992 Sport Floor Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 12:23pm
Thanks for the input. I wasn't thinking about the fiberglass thickness. I haven't started cutting the primary yet.

I used some house jacks I had to support the side of the boat. Can't lift it off the trailer, but it feels much stiffer.

I used some clamps and a compass to mark the secondary stringer and fit it in the boat.

I got some CPES on the parts I have made so far.
'92 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 11:15am
Nice jack post! Don't need to be so precise with locating the X & Y of the secondaries. They just hold up the floor.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 12:45pm
That's good to know. I am still at the beginning of the learning curve. My "peanut butter" wasn't quite the right consistency. Too thin, then probably a little too thick.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 3:46am
I finished up my third layer of cloth (2", 4", 8") on the port secondary today. Here it is with two layers on.

I know it is best to add the next layer before 24 hours has passed to avoid the amine blush and get a chemical bond rather than physical, but is there an easiest time? I have been waiting until the layer below gets pretty firm before adding the next. Is that the way to go or is it acceptable to throw the next layer on while the one below is still wet to make wetting the new layer easier. Wetting out the layers, especially the 8", took some effort. I was wondering if there are some best practices someone else has already figured out.

Also, how long after the final layer is on should I wait before I start making dust cutting out the next one? Does it have to be greater than 24 hours or as long as it not tacky is it OK?

Your help is very much appreciated!
'92 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 8:03am
You can lay up multiple layers wet.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 8:43am
Brent,
I agree with Tim that you can just keep going with the layups and not waiting for the resin to kick (get firm as you describe). The only issue that may come up is keeping air out between the layers. There are times when in tight corners I find that waiting for the resin to just start to kick comes in handy since you can roll out some air. What oz. cloth are you using?

I wouldn't worry about the dust too much since your final coating is decorative

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 11:11am
He's only at the taping stage so he's far from the final coating. A little dust won't kill you since you'll want to lightly sand before glassing over again anyway.

I did like you are, did all the taping in one stage. With too many layers it makes keeping everything in place a nightmare. I don't know how anyone could take and cap a stringer in one shot.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 11:16am
Tape can be the final glass step (depends on the planned schedule) and the bilge coating normally doesn't extend to the secondaries on this type of stringer configuration... Otherwise I agree with Pete and HW.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 11:32am
More coffee.....my comments were towards primaries and he's on secondaries.

I'm having flashbacks of the crappy taping and resin blobs on my secondaries. They came out with my foot and a vacuum.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 2:00pm
Thanks for the help. I am using 10 oz. cloth.

I thought I had read enough to have the steps down, but there is no teacher like experience. The 8" is particularly tough.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2016 at 4:21pm
I got one stringer in and started cutting the primary on the port side out. A 4.5" angle grinder just isn't big enough. With the angle of the hull I couldn't get much of a cut on the back side and it doesn't go all the way through in the bilge. Looks like I will have to go back to the oscillating tool to get it out. That is for another time. Having a garage big enough to fit it would help tremendously.
'92 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2016 at 4:36pm
The bottom of the stringer is unlikely to be bonded to the hull (at least in large scale). You do not need to cut all the way through. Cutting through the glass on each side will be enough.
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2016 at 5:57pm
I had to cut to the very bottom of the stringers in mine and then use a crow bar and pry it up carefully without damaging the hull.
92 Sport nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2016 at 1:16am
The secondary was pretty well bonded most of the length. I got through most of the glass on one side and it felt like it was still pretty attached. I will have to see how it goes next time.
'92 Sport Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2016 at 4:04pm
Eric Lavine used to swear by the sawzall, he said the blade would follow the curve of the hull.   might be worth a try if your stringers are well bonded
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2016 at 8:29pm
The sawzall worked well for the floor. I might have to give it a shot.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 8:45pm
I cut the glass with a cutting blade on my grinder then used a crow bar and a hammer and carefully pried the floor up a few inches at a time. I got the starboard side up in one piece doing this. The port side didn't come up as good as it was a lot more rotted. I've learned a lot of lessons through this but I finished putting the last glass down on the new floor this past weekend. Motor mount is in and hopefully I'll be putting the engine back in this week.
92 Sport nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 8:58am
You blew through that job. I checked out your thread as well. I wish I was that far along. I tried a little bit of prying, but that thing didn't budge. I am not sure I have made a deep enough cut yet. Won't be able to work on it again for a few more weeks.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 12:07pm
I spent a ton of hours on it but I'm fortunate enough to be able to do it at my house so I was able to work on it a couple hours every day after work. I did get the engine installed two days ago and I got it aligned and everything hooked up yesterday. I even took the belts off and fired it up for a few seconds before I fogged it and shut it down again for the winter. Thankfully everything was fairly easy considering some of the horror stories I've read. I still have to lay carpet and reinstall the interior but that's not too bad of a job.

As far as prying, you can go a lot lower on cutting those stringers then you would think without cutting a hole in the boat. Again, I ended up recutting once I realized that and then used a two pound hammer and beat a crow bar under the stinger to pry it up. I was scared I was going to damage the hull but I was so frustrated by that point that I didn't care. Fortunately these boats are way stronger then I thought. No damage and I eventually got the stringer on out. I wish I was closer to you, I'd gladly come help.
92 Sport nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 6:00pm
Thanks for the offer. I have been working on scheduling some time to work on it the week after Christmas and in January and February. Good luck with the duck hunting.
'92 Sport Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 12:14am
I got some more work done on the stringers last week. I decided that since I had some support under the boat cutting one primary and one secondary out on opposite sides would be OK. I figured out after 1 day of trying to cut the primary out with a sawzall that the area around the ski locker was still going to be impossible to get with just that. I decided to get a 7" grinder and a couple of cutting discs from Harbor Freight. Best $50 I have spent. I had the port primary the rest of the way out in no time. Then I went to work on the starboard secondary and I looked at the time and it took less than an hour to get it out. I still had a lot of clean up to do, but to anyone else starting on your job, get a large grinder as well as a 4.5" one. It would have saved me a lot of time.

Thanks to some reading on the forum here I picked up a diamond wheel for grinding as well. That made the grinding a lot easier. Once I had the main part of the stringers out I could see that I still had more cutting I could do, which saved grinding time as well.. Once I was ready for it, the diamond wheel was aggressive and got the main stuff out of the way so I was mainly just cleaning up with the 36 grit flap discs. With family stuff and still getting the right methods down, below is how far I got.

I also saw some interesting things. First, I noticed these holes before, but never took much time to examine them. They are where the floor meets the side of the boat. No wonder the foam was wet. Anyone else noticed these on their boat? I assume this is factory...

The other thing was that I cut out part of the plywood under the driver seat base and found this.

There were two pieces of plywood screwed together. Some of the screws dug into the hull a little bit because of how it slopes up. Maybe someone has done some partial work on the floor before? Oh well, it is all part of the process.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 12:32am
I would definitely say that someone did a shabby floor repair under your captain s seat. As far as the other holes, mine had those too. In fact the factory fiberglass on the secondaries was pretty rough. When you're sanding the rest of the fiberglass down I would suggest leaving a little lip to guide the new stringers as you lay them. I was very thankful that I did that when I started laying the new stringers.
92 Sport nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 1:01am
I wanted to make sure I got to good fiberglass. Maybe I went a little overboard.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 4:38pm
I kind of came to the conclusion that you can't go overboard. I worked hard to make sure mine was solid and appeared to be factory. I'm sure you're doing the same.
92 Sport nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 2:41am
Another weekend and a few more lessons learned. First, 2x10s would have been better than 2x8s. Since I am going with a plywood floor they will work for the main stringers, but I had to be extra careful shaping the bottom.

Second lesson is I should have measured the distance between the bolts on the back of the cradle before I removed it. Actually building a spacer that will maintain that distance like I am planning to do now would have been better. Live and learn.

Finally, I found some stuff at Home Depot called EZ Strip that is doing a better job of removing carpet glue. Still a lot of elbow grease required, but the Goof Off evaporated too fast.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 10:35am
Which measurement are you needing exactly. I still have all of my measurements written down.
92 Sport nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 5:50pm
It is the distance between the studs on the cradle that support the transmission. To keep everything parallel, it appears the dimension should be 22-1/8". I took a picture of what I am talking about, but I haven't had time to download it and from my phone, through the website doesn't seem to work.
'92 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 6:00pm
Just get the stringer height close under the cradle... you can locate fore/aft placement using the pylon receptacle in the hull. Can't think of anything else you'd need.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 10:51pm
The cradle is not straight when unbolted. I briefly looked at the mount on the transmission and didn't immediately see a way to adjust the width so that if these two studs are too close or too far apart then that could create some difficulty.
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:44pm
Brent,
Take a look at your mounts. They are adjustable so don't worry about the studs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic