NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 17>
Author
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 10:48am
I nominated Leo for the USA Water Ski LIfetime Achievement Award for this year, but the Awards Committee voted it down. I got started on the campaign late in the season, so I plan to nominate him again for next year's award. I haven't yet decided how to mount a good campaign, but having a bunch of emails or copies of posts supporting him wouldn't hurt. Perhaps I'll start a thread about it on CCF now that #1 has made him known to more of us.
"Art"
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:50pm
As for the Taylor Made windshield I ordered one from them about 10 years ago. It was built to order. At that time they told me me they were about out of the aluminum trim that surrounds the plexiglass. They also still had the gasket available in white.

What a great story Alan! That would be a cool boat to put on display at the Masters one day!
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 1:53pm
There is a nation-wide supplier called...... believe it or not, TACO Supply. They have every kind of extruded aluminum trim you can imagine. If Taylor would bend the plexi and sell it without the trim, I'll bet we could find something that would fit.
"Art"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:42pm
Yeah, taco has a ton of rub rail related stuff.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 7:35pm
Si, Hard Shell for me.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 4:08am
Wow ! Alan this boat needed you. It could not be in better hands. I will watch in amazement as usual as you turn the years back for us yet again.
4th ski-doo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th ski-doo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 6:12pm
How awesome! What a cool find and story!
2013 SANTE 210
2011 Sport 200v
1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
1987 Master Craft Power Slot
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 10:49am
Just a quick update on the boat, although I've done nothing on the hull yet there's been some parts sourcing going on. Seems like this boat may be a bit of a community project as I've had many people step forward to offer help.

First and foremost is the engine. A while back site member Brian Ferrin (mourningwood) posted some Interceptor parts for sale, I contacted him and purchased the parts but then we started talking about the boat. Brian is in the process of restoring a Dunphy X55 and is getting ready to paint and detail a 312 he rebuilt for it. Brian has a long history with Correct Crafts on the West Coast and also restores vintage cars. When he learned about what I was sourcing parts for he volunteered to put an engine together for it for cost of parts and machine work just to be a part of the project.   He is well versed in Interceptors and promises a "concourse correct" motor which is probably more than I could do on my own so his offer was graciously accepted.

As for other "Donations" Steve Workman has offered a pair of YH carbs which ironically he got from me several years ago that came from the Hurricane.   John Beeman has offered his spare velvet drive.    Scott Z and Art Cozier are both working on a windshield, something will materialize there eventually.    I was also lucky enough to find the elusive bellhousing for the velvet drive so that's another piece I can cross off the list.    The biggest item left right now is a set of Interceptor exhaust manifolds so if anyone has a line on a set let me know please.

So THANK YOU to everyone for helping and keeping an eye out for the items still needed. Slowly but surely we'll get her back together and go skiing.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 11:12am
The original source of this makes me throw up in my mouth a little, but in this case, there is a little truth to it.....

"It takes a village"

What a great project and how cool that folks are jumping in to be a part of it.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 11:12am
I can help drink the beer out of your fridge :)

Way cool stuff Alan, such a great group on this site, amazing!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 11:38am
I'm on it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 12:20pm
Alan,
Expect a call shortly. You may need to purchase the complete engine but see what Jim has to say. I don't know the year of the Y block so I don't know if it has the early round or later rectangular exhaust manifolds?
I'm also checking with others.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Expect a call shortly. You may need to purchase the complete engine but see what Jim has to say. I don't know the year of the Y block so I don't know if it has the early round or later rectangular exhaust manifolds?

thanks Pete.

illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 2:00pm
Alan,
This is really cool. i finally had a chance to sit down and read the entire post. Cant wait to see this thing.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Alan,

thanks Pete.

Pete, I think Interceptor supplied engines with both types of manifolds at the same time, depending on what the boat manufacturer ordered. It appears to me that in CC's case, boats with deep motor wells (or high floorboards) got high manifolds, those with adequate room next to the engine for the low manifolds got those. The low ones flood pretty easily if water backs up in the exhaust system,.
"Art"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Pete, I think Interceptor supplied engines with both types of manifolds at the same time, depending on what the boat manufacturer ordered. It appears to me that in CC's case, boats with deep motor wells (or high floorboards) got high manifolds, those with adequate room next to the engine for the low manifolds got those. The low ones flood pretty easily if water backs up in the exhaust system,.

Art; Did Correct Craft consult with Leo on the boats that he built? or did he contact CC after he had already built his first "production" run?

Also, just so I am clear this is believed to be the first production boat that Leo built not the first Correct Craft built Ski Nautique?

I know it probably doesn't matter, but just trying to keep everything in context...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 4:50pm
Steve, Yes this is Leo's first Nautique. Not the first CC Nautique.   I believe there has been a little bit of discussion as to whether this is the prototype, followed by Number 1 or if the this one (the prototype) is also regarded as No 1.   Not sure where the first two CC nautiques are, but it is my understanding, the one at the factory that Art takes to the Masters is CC Nautique No 3.

It is also my understanding that Leo didn't involve CC in the early process. That he went to them after he had a few under his belt.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Art; Did Correct Craft consult with Leo on the boats that he built? or did he contact CC after he had already built his first "production" run?

Also, just so I am clear this is believed to be the first production boat that Leo built not the first Correct Craft built Ski Nautique?

I know it probably doesn't matter, but just trying to keep everything in context...

Steve not entirely sure on your first question but it doesn't appear that Correct Craft came into the picture until after Leo built the first 12 boats.

Before Leo had any boats built he had Bob Conn, a Miami boat builder produce one prototype or test boat from the mold,    This is the boat in this thread, It is the first Ski Nautique built before he contracted with another boat builder to have the 12 production boats built.   So there are or were 13 Glass Craft Ski Nautiques before Correct Craft purchased the mold and rights to the name.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 5:00pm

Steve not entirely sure on your first question but it doesn't appear that Correct Craft came into the picture until after Leo built the first 12 boats.

Before Leo had any boats built he had Bob Conn, a Miami boat builder produce one prototype or test boat from the mold,    This is the boat in this thread, It is the first Ski Nautique built before he contracted with another boat builder to have the 12 production boats built.   So there are or were 13 Glass Craft Ski Nautiques before Correct Craft purchased the mold and rights to the name.

Got it! That is what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. So its really anybodies guess as to how this boat was originally configured (engine, manifolds, windshield, gauges, etc) other then early photos. Too bad there are not any build sheets!!!      I bet there are a bunch of old photos and probably movies somewhere from people who went to Leo's Ski School...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 5:12pm
Well We're pretty sure it had an Interceptor in it.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 8:41pm
HA! Yes, that you are sure of!!!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 11:04pm
Steve, here is what I have "heard" or know about the evolution of the boat to CC's line. Leo found himself with too many irons in the fire. He had built a few boats and helped the owners with various issues that developed in the boats. He was running the ski schools, (two locations) with many employees. I think I recall him saying that he was also managing some residential rental properties that he had acquired. He was fulltime in law school, and his wife was about to make him a Dad, so with her strong encouragement, he decided to sell the boat company. He approached CC and was turned down. Henry Holmes, who was an active skier and competitor at the time, spoke with the Meloons, (the owners of Correct Craft) and suggested to them that Leo did in fact have a good product that he thought would take off. Having respect for what Henry had told them, the contacted Leo and agreed to take the molds, the unfinished boats, the parts inventory, and the Nautique name. Most of you know that Ski Nautique is French for "Water Ski." Leo and his wife had visited France and decided that it was a good name for the boat. In return for the above, CC agreed to pay Leo some sum of money that I have never heard a hint of the amount and a certain number of boats spread over some number of years for use in his ski school and repair some of the issues that had developed with some of the existing boats. He also was allowed to purchase boats for resale.
And that's about all I know about the acquisition by CC.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 12:50pm
A big thank you to Pete B for making some phone calls. Jim Staib from Finewoodboats.com just delivered a complete Interceptor Y block to the house.   We now have all of our Interceptor parts and duplicates of many.   Of major importance was we got the exhaust manifolds.   This motor was supposedly running when pulled out of a Chris Craft Cavalier but was replaced because it wasn't the correct engine for the boat.   I'm not going to use the block since it's only a 272 but my hope is I have a functioning velvet drive now that I just need to reverse the pump on since this is a righty.

Brian has had the machine shop inspect and reject 2 312 blocks so far so we're still looking for a usable core, we'll get there eventually and then the fun begins.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 2:08pm
Hmmmm, I wonder if that 272 block would work well in a certain Atom or Starfire with fins, that I know happen to be missing an engine...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 2:27pm

Hmmmm, I wonder if that 272 block would work well in a certain Atom or Starfire with fins, that I know happen to be missing an engine...

I see the listing is down Steve, do you know where that boat ended up?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 2:39pm

Brian has had the machine shop inspect and reject 2 312 blocks so far so we're still looking for a usable core, we'll get there eventually and then the fun begins.

Alan,
You've probably already thought of it but here's an idea. The basic blocks are the same but the 312 is bored out an extra 0.18" from the 272 and then stroked an extra 0.14" from the 272. Could you use the 272 block from Jim and build up a 312?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 2:52pm
Very cool, Alan. Nice find.

Pete, I'm not familiar with the y-block but a .18o overbore is pretty extreme. When bores vary that much between blocks, they're usually not the same casting- even if they're the same externally. Chrysler 273-318-340, for instance. Bore is the only thing that differentiates them (stroke is the same) but you can't bore a 273 and make a 340. Presumably water jackets and the like get in the way.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 3:00pm

I'm going to guess in his garage. He's being coy. The last time someone was being coy around here.....

Awesome work Craig, Looks fantastic. I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?    

...the project showed up in his garage.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
You've probably already thought of it but here's an idea. The basic blocks are the same but the 312 is bored out an extra 0.18" from the 272 and then stroked an extra 0.14" from the 272. Could you use the 272 block from Jim and build up a 312?

Pete, 2 thoughts on that from what I've read.   A 292 can and is often bored to a 312 but the 272 can't be.    The core shift on these old castings is so bad it can be quite a deal trying to find a usable block when you need to bore.   that's sort of where we're at now trying to find a good 312 block, They are out there so we just need to keep trying until the machine shop says we've got a good one.

Second thought on it is I would rather have a block with the correct 312 casting numbers on it if we can find one. So we'll go that route as long as we can.   Thanks again for the lead.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I'm going to guess in his garage. He's being coy. The last time someone was being coy around here.....

Awesome work Craig, Looks fantastic. I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?    

...the project showed up in his garage.

Touche Larry, I hope it's true. I had a deal made on that boat but had to let it go due to too much stuff happening right now,   I was sort of hoping a few years down the road that it might still be available.   I sure hope someone here ended up with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic