NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 17>
Author
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 11:20pm
Art, wow so jellous. I like what I do for a living but I wish I had your job.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2016 at 11:43am
Haha, you guys make me feel good. I have to admit, I do miss a lot of the times I had over all those years. Of course, as with any job, there were times that I wouldn't want to live over. Fortunately, we almost always forget those first.
"Art"
stevea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 3:48am
Hi everyone joined this site after reading this great story. I own a 1964 19 ft. correct craft hull number 1901. Have owned the boat since 1969 it has a 409c.i. chevy engine "crusader".There are 5 boys and 1girl in my family that have put countless hours of sking barefooting, pulling a ski kite, and who knows what else almost every warm weekend since. i cannot say enough good things about old c.c. boats. Dont know if anybody knows about the waters of Lake of the ozarks in mo. but there is where we run it so you no what kind of beating it has taken its whole life still going strong. Thanks for this great site
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 6:11am
Steve,
Thanks for joining the group. Did you just find CCfan or just become a member? If you just found the site, spend some time with it and I know you will find the fantastic resources it has to offer. Do you have any pictures? When was the Crusader installed? Didn't it have a Y block originally?

EDIT:
Steve,
I'm confused and from the response of others can tell they are as well. What model CC do you have? This thread is primarily about the first Ski Nautique and that's what I, at first, assumed you had but then looking back, you state your boat is 19'.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 8:19am
Welcome to the site Steve! Yes, lets see some pictures? A 409!??
Js
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 10:14am
I hope it is a 409
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 10:36am
'64 19', Tournament Skier? Big boat, wouldn't be surprised to see a large engine in it. Never heard of a 409 in a CC but the timeline matches chevy's production window.

Let's see some pics!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 10:59am
I also wondered whether or not the 409 is original in the boat. I don't recall encountering one in the old days, but nothing would have been impossible in those days. If a potential customer wanted a particular engine, the Meloons would have made it happen in order to sell a boat. They worked really hard to keep the company "afloat". (pun intended)
I'll take a stab at finding the factory records on the boat next time I'm in the Archives. As it is, I have a long list of long-overdue numbers to look up for other members!
"Art"
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 11:56am
Yes,   I remember the 409 CC from Malibu Beach Yacht Basin.   If memory serves, it's a Mahogany gel Grand Prix or a Tangerine gel Wildcat.
Although I've always thought the boat was newer than a '64.

Good to have you on Stevea

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 12:41pm
This site is one of the greatest things about the internet. I'm so happy that this boat is in good hands. It is great to have others join the CCF family just because of this story too! Welcome to all.

If I were to travel to Illinois could I come see the boat?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 2:35pm
even if its a 348 i could live with it.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's interesting that the prototype was patterned off a Higgins even having the port side helm. I wonder if the Y block was a lefty?

ATTN: Keith,
You must put a sticky on this one!!!

Pete, Leo told me that the reason that he built some boats LH drive was that it lent to more efficiency at the dock at his ski school. The way the docks were set up, the drivers could dock and tie up the boats without having to leave the drivers' seats. Yes, the LH drive boats had LH engines in them. To my knowledge, CC never built any lefties.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Bruce, The trailer has to go. It's a decent rig but I will need to find an early CC bunk trailer for it.

We have a very decent, restorable, early 60's #2 we'd gladly give you. Not sure whether a #2 or #3 is best for that boat.

The boat requires a #3. Several years ago I had RamLin build a duplicate of a very early 3, but with some modifications. The one that the '61 is on at the factory is about as early as I can come up with. It was built by Harold Meloon for CC when he made all of their trailers. The axle and wheels have been updated, but other than that it's all original, right down to the dolly wheel.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

It's interesting that the prototype was patterned off a Higgins even having the port side helm. I wonder if the Y block was a lefty?

ATTN: Keith,
You must put a sticky on this one!!!

Pete, Leo told me that the reason that he built some boats LH drive was that it lent to more efficiency at the dock at his ski school. The way the docks were set up, the drivers could dock and tie up the boats without having to leave the drivers' seats. Yes, the LH drive boats had LH engines in them. To my knowledge, CC never built any lefties.

But a lefty pulls the aft starboard in reverse!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stevea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 6:51pm
Sorry if i posted my story about my boat in the wrong place. And yes it is a 409 i have blown it up several times (drop valve over rev pulling kites you cant let off when you hit big waves and you catch air. I bought the boat from Malibu beach marina at lake ozark. Traded a 1962 16 ft. chris craft ski boat in on it the guy that owned the marina name was Phil Hillabrant not sure if thats how you spell his last name but anyway he did alot of wood boat repair and was the correct craft dealer at the lake..The story he told my dad was that this was the first 19 ft. hull made and they made it champane color to draw attention .He said c.c. took it to alot of shows trying to promote this new hull. I remember Phil son was some how partners or something with Phil on the c.c. part of the business. Anyway ill dig some pictures out and see what i have to do too post them as you can tell im not very good on this computer.If some one can tell me where i should post this story that would be great   thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 7:13pm
Steve,
You still haven't mentioned what model the 19' CC with that 409 is!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stevea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 7:27pm
To tell you the truth i dont know Ive owned a few wildcats a couple southwinds two barracudas and they all hod some kind of chrome name plate on them this boat doesnt have any. We always just called it a 19 ft. ski the hull is alot like a1969 wildcat except the wildcot has bucket seats my boat has a support behind the front seat and the seat is a bench,
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 7:54pm
Steve - Welcome to the forum. These guys know their stuff & can be entertaining at times too. I suggest starting a thread about your boat. Art Cozier was a CC engineer & can help you fill in blanks on the history,.

To start a thread back out to the forum level & click on 'new topic'.

To post picture, click on the icon that looks like a tree. Looking fwd to seeing your boat.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 8:59pm
by entertaining he means sometimes its ancient rome with lions eating gladiators
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 6:13am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

To start a thread back out to the forum level & click on 'new topic'.

Steve,
Here's a new thread. We'll be waiting on the pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2016 at 1:56am
Any ways we can make this a sticky? Maybe I should add a link to it in the FAQ?!?! That's not a bad idea... If enough people approve I will make it so.
Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2016 at 7:01am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Any ways we can make this a sticky? Maybe I should add a link to it in the FAQ?!?! That's not a bad idea... If enough people approve I will make it so.
Kevin

Sticky and the link!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2016 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Kevin

Sticky and the link!

+1000!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:01am
Got back to the boat this weekend and a quick look confirms that the boat had a different windshield on it at some point. I think it's safe to say it started with the split windshield and it got changed out somewhere along the way to the one piece style.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:10am
Did you measure the width?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Did you measure the width?

No I didn't,   I'll ask Todd to get a tape measure on it for me and report back.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:43am
Congrats on the new to you boat!
1994 Sport Nautique
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 3:34pm
[QUOTE=81nautique] Got back to the boat this weekend and a quick look confirms that the boat had a different windshield on it at some point. I think it's safe to say it started with the split windshield and it got changed out somewhere along the way to the one piece style.

Alan, all of the Glas Crafts and all the CC SNs up until about 1968 had the plastic Taylor windshields on them. Several years ago when CC resumed buying from Taylor, I asked one of their reps at a Dealer Meeting if it was still possible to get a plastic one-piece. He said they don't stock them buy that they still had the ability to make them on a one-off basis at that time. I need one for my '63, so if you find a source, count me in!
"Art"
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 8:09pm
Alan, I've read the Hurricane thread end-to-end. Took a few long evenings in Shanghai (better I read this, than participate in any of the hanky-panky on the local bar street). I only wish I'd read it before getting the ride in your boat at the Quinner mini. You have some special skills and personality traits that would have shortened most world wars......

On this windshield thing, knowing what you've already accomplished, I suspect you'll make a wood mold, find a big oven, and make it yourself. I know a bunch of folks at National Cycle in the Chicao area that do this all day for a living....it's a tricky game, and you have only seconds to get the thing into the right shape with a team of friends wearing cotton gloves and wearing long sleeves.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2016 at 11:16pm
1995 Award of Distinction

Thought this would be a nice addition'

And I agree, the #1 couldn't be in better hands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 17>
  Share Topic