Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 SN Throttle Friction ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 SN Throttle Friction ?
    Posted: November-22-2015 at 2:00pm
I looked over my owners manual and the brochures for my 93 SN and also did a search in the forums and I was unable to find an answer? Does the throttle lever or cable have a friction setting screw or something to hold the throttle in position? If you have one hand on the wheel and one hand holding the throttle, how do you drink your beer?   Thanks. - Fred

- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by FredWSauer FredWSauer wrote:

Does the throttle lever or cable have a friction setting screw or something to hold the throttle in position? If you have one hand on the wheel and one hand holding the throttle, how do you drink your beer?   Thanks. - Fred

Fred,
You don't! Hands on the helm controls at all times. However, you may want to take a look at the spring return at the carb. But, you do need some in case of a cable or throttle problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 3:00pm
Well you never know what a PO did, maybe they put to heavy a spring on or put it back wrong? My Mustang did that too,hated it so much that it was the cause for me to find the original controls. If after everything checks out you could try one of these they must be made for a reason---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gdenkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdenkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 3:35pm
Fred, I believe that the throttle is designed to come back to an idle ahead position if you let go of it, at least that's what mine does. I think it's a safety issue and if you adjust the friction/resistance of the throttle, so that it remains at whatever position you have it set, you defeat the safety aspect.
Imagine being incapacitated at the helm, perhaps struck in the back of the head by a ski handle released too late by an inexperienced skier, a medical condition, or some other condition that makes you unable to manage the controls, throttle and steering.
I think most would discourage adjusting the throttle in the manner you suggest.
How about this?
94 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 4:27pm
Greg,
Not naming anyone, I think several members already have the hands free kits. The only problems with them is if one container goes empty first from say a slight tilt of the head, all you get is air. As a consultant to one of these members, I suggested installing fuel tank ant-siphon valves at each branch. I don't think he ever implemented the idea since he decided that the two beverages per loading wasn't enough anyway.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by gdenkman gdenkman wrote:

Fred, I believe that the throttle is designed to come back to an idle ahead position if you let go of it, at least that's what mine does. I think it's a safety issue and if you adjust the friction/resistance of the throttle, so that it remains at whatever position you have it set, you defeat the safety aspect.
Imagine being incapacitated at the helm, perhaps struck in the back of the head by a ski handle released too late by an inexperienced skier, a medical condition, or some other condition that makes you unable to manage the controls, throttle and steering.
I think most would discourage adjusting the throttle in the manner you suggest.
]

Not so sure about that,are you saying when they went to FI that they eliminated that function ? What about if you have a Perfect Pass engaged and you come incapacitated? If that is it's use why the safety lanyard? Why do inboards have that function while outboards do not and some even have friction adjusters on the control?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 5:13pm
Greg,
Gary makes some very good points. The first thing I thought about when you mentioned becoming incapacitated is cruise controls in cars and they don't even have a safety lanyard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 7:16pm
I don't know the facts about if they are designed to return to idle on there own. Here is my experiences. The 1995 SN with GT 40 did not return to idle on its own. The 1992 I have now did not return to idle on its own until I increased the return spring tension. I increased the tension because it did not always return to the set idle speed. I did that to the spring as a quick fix but I wonder if a cable adjustment would have been the proper fix. Just my experience. Haven't driven my 99 enough to know how it acts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 8:46pm
I didn't explain well as mine tends to pop back to idle and jerk the boat. I am going to look at the spring setup and see if the PO was messing with it. Every boat (4x) I have owned has always set where you left it. They were all outboards and had a friction screw on the control. It's funny how these forums and threads go hard right or left at any given time. Thanks for the hands free beer pic! .   
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 9:44pm
I've driven a few DD boats over the years and cannot think of one where I could just set the throttle and forget it. There is not a "friction adjustment" as you mention on your 1993 Morse control.

Good news - your throttle cable is definitely not gummed up and in need of replacement!

Explain a bit more the problem. If you are cruising along at 30 and you let go of the throttle it will instantly pop back to idle? Or, is it a jerking action that happens as you start to throttle down?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 11:14pm
Bizarre thread. 40+ years in countless old inboards, Century, Correct Craft, Master Craft... hutchinson, chris craft....you name it.......never once been in one that requires constant hand throttle pressure to maintain speed.......set it and forget it.....never driven a new-fangled lanyard-equipped boat and certainly never a perfect pass...decades past what I'm used to, , but can't imagine the concept.......seriously, you take hand off throttle and it stops? For real?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 12:30am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Bizarre thread. 40+ years in countless old inboards, Century, Correct Craft, Master Craft... hutchinson, chris craft....you name it.......never once been in one that requires constant hand throttle pressure to maintain speed.......set it and forget it.....never driven a new-fangled lanyard-equipped boat and certainly never a perfect pass...decades past what I'm used to, , but can't imagine the concept.......seriously, you take hand off throttle and it stops? For real?

That's exactly what I was thinking. My '89, '92, my brothers Fountain and every other boat I've ever driven. Set it and forget it.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 12:38am
My 92 slows down to about 20 when I let go of the throttle, but the PO also put a non marine carb on it. One of my winter projects is to change it out.
'92 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 6:28am
Originally posted by FredWSauer FredWSauer wrote:

I didn't explain well as mine tends to pop back to idle and jerk the boat. ]

Fred,
I may not understand what you're saying and maybe others don't ether. If you let go of the throttle, does it move back to idle by it's own or, if you move the throttle back does it seem to hang up and then "pop" back to idle?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:08am
all my boats have been set and forget
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:25am
Our '92 was the same way. You had to keep your hand on the throttle to maintain speed. If you let it go, the lever would move back on it's own to a much slower speed (not quite idle).

I never got around to looking into why it did this.

Our new boat stays where you put the lever. No need to keep a hand on the throttle.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 9:32am
Is it an MV2? Ours does the same thing.    Boat doesn't stay straight either if you let go of wheel. I think it's supposed to be that way.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 9:58am
Still sounds weird to me.....previously the newest boat I ever drove was Morfoot's 88, so was thinking maybe a new boat thing, but then realized the 2015 pontoon we rented this summer was normal. Something's wrong, why would a newish boat have a safety lanyard then?

Must be difficult to maintain a constant ski speed if you have to hold it.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 10:30am
Before there was cruise control, the driver had to constantly adjust the speed and steering to stay at a constant speed for pulling a skier and the sensitive controls made it easier. Our '03 did take some time getting used to. When cruising around, if I have to drink something I can maintain speed with my right forearm while my hand holds the wheel steady, freeing up my left hand.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 1:20pm
I can tell you with certainty that all mine and every other brand new CC I have driven came from the factory with set it and forget it throttles. Even the floor mounted gas peddle models I have driven were the same way. If you are worried about safety in this regards wear your lanyard or add one if not equipped.

FYI, perfect pass disengages when the throttle is moved back, a throttle that did not hold position would definitely be a problem if used in conjunction with PP.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 1:30pm
Bruce, I have the 206 setup with a neutral or non loaded rudder, meaning if I want to I can let go of the wheel and the boat will maintain that line really well. Hard pulling skier will effect that of course but if you have a novice or someone mostly just following it takes very little effort to keep your straight line.

One other point about Perfect Pass, it really is a great safety feature, while driving I do not need to watch my speedos or tweek the throttle to maintain speed, that attention can remain focused on where you are going and your skier, still keep my hand at the throttle but really only for when I need to stop.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 1:59pm
There is no return tension built into either the cable or the morse control. The carb throttle shafts have a little bit of return tension on them but are unlikely to overcome the friction in the cable. An external return spring between the carb throttle arm and the engine (usually attached to the intake manifold or similar) may cause throttle spring back. This depends on the strength and tension on the spring, as well as how smooth the cables are. It's not the intent to return the throttle if not held, but rather to return the throttle if the cable breaks- but it can definitely act that way. Most pcm's were set up with this spring, but not all marinizers used one.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 3:18pm
Our '03 is a Malibu, so it may be the difference in the way they set them up. I've only driven a couple Malibus and a couple late model SN, but there is no comparison in how the 2 brands track. Our Sportster has a lot of load on the rudder. You can't take your hand off the wheel for a split second when you are going fast. The throttle has no resistance and if you take your hand off of it, the boat will slow down to 10-15 mph. It took some getting used to as all the boats I've driven haven't had any load on the rudder and the throttle has stuck. None of the boats we've had have had throttle springs on them except for the Classic and that wasn't set up at the factory. I've seen a device for sale at SkiDim that allows your throttle to stay stuck, but it's just a tensioner that you attach to the throttle cable.
gdenkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdenkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 5:43pm
Sounds like we need an official ruling. Could Al shed some light on this issue? Maybe the Boat Dr.?
94 Ski Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 6:48pm
How's this? Old boats function normally....some new boats don't.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 7:09pm
When I let go of the throttle it moves back to idle fairly quickly. Not as much of a jerk as I let on with the previous post; but, it does slow down.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
ZHadley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZHadley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:26pm
My 92 and 2013 both hold position/speed. Same with my friends one of which has a Malibu and a different with a Mastercraft. The only boat I've driven that didn't was an old hallet flat bottom v drive with a foot pedal. And yes, it was pretty challenging to hold speed and course with my dad trying to pull it around while skiing!

Zach
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:55pm
I may have to retract my statement. I recall distinctly that my father's 1977 Glastron with a Mercury outboard needed constant pressure to keep up speed. If you let go the throttle would slowly retard. Side note: That boat was quite the machine. Glastron 176 SSV modified v-hull. The engine was a 175HP Black Max - overpowered for the hull back before the lawyers took over the world. My dad did that just for better water skiing hole shot. I recall that the speedometer pegged at 52-ish, and I pegged it multiple times where it would just stick and not move.

Anyhow, I grew up driving that boat and perhaps that just taught me to always keep my right hand on the throttle. On my 1993 SN I can let go of the throttle and it will stay there. The boat was not running but I just ran out to my garage and did it again to convince myself that is how it works.

Sorry for adding to the confusion. I wonder if Fred will come back and tell us all what is going on and answer the question that Pete and I asked?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 9:26pm
Who's the boat dr?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gdenkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdenkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 10:22pm
Boat Dr. is Billy Sutton
94 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic