Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top end

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
restored82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top end
    Posted: November-20-2015 at 10:33pm
I am curious to know the maximum top end anyone has achieved in 2001 model SN. I have an 82 and would love to know any tricks to get higher than stock speeds out of my boat.I read an old bit this week written by Grand Poobah saying he was getting 60 mph out of his boat. This was an old thread discussing carburetor wedge plates from 05.I sent a note recently to Delta and they said my boat would handle no more than 13x13.It would be sweet to get more top end when simply wanting to go for a rip. Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks Brian
Jus Fishin
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 11:05pm
I have an all original 84 with close to 1000hrs.....getting about 45 on gps @ 4400rpms using a acme 540

Show us some pics, we like pics

Have a good one!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 12:08am
You need to look up JoeNY and his threads. He has a Hot Rod 82 SN2001 that runs like a raped ape. He can tell you all the tricks to get the max out of that hull. However, the ACME 540 Prop seems to be the ticket for the most bang for the buck. You can put GT40P heads and a better intake to help it breath and you will notice a difference. Joe's boat is right up there at the top of the list for top speeds, but I can not remember his latest achievement. .
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 3:07am
easy Don, Joe's boat is nowhere near stock and should not be used as the example. he's pushing well over 450 horses and has shredded several shafts to prove it. Kostas is way closer to what the typical 2001 will do. if you get up towards 50 without making serious performance upgrades you're ahead of the curve. this conversation can quickly deteriorate into a dollars for mph conversation. those 50+ numbers are out there, but you have to pay the price of admission for the ride. unless the boat is yellow of course, everyone knows yellow boats are faster, Joe's is blue so he had to compensate with more engine.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 12:42pm
Electronic ignition, a much bigger prop and power trim... 60mph is a cake walk.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Electronic ignition, a much bigger prop and power trim... 60mph is a cake walk.

Not an EI conversion on your existing distributor!!

Tim,
Fill me in on the power trim?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 12:53am
Tim must be alluding to an I/O!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 9:32am
I have gotten my 92SN past 60 mph.
(On the trailer, on I-4!)
Js
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 1:27am
Joe was kind enough to give me a ride I will not forget in his SN several years back. . My personal opinion is that 450HP is a VERY conservative estimate.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 6:36pm
As hinted at above, it is not as simple with an inboard to throw a higher pitch prop on and trade some holeshot for some top end. The faster you go the more the nose of the boat tends to be forced down meaning the more hp you need to displace water.   Anything above 57 on a 2001 hull gets squirrely in terms of steering, and it takes doubling the hp of the engine.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by restored82 restored82 wrote:

wanting to go for a rip

get something other than a tournament ski boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 7:27pm
Thank you Joe for your reply. Clearly you have experienced some speed and the limitations of the 2001.. I had been thinking a propeller might gain me 5 or so mph.I bought my boat for what it is designed to do.Water ski boarding and the like. I had wondered if a simple prop change might add some to the top end .For instance what might it take to gain 5 mph. I knew from way back that the hull will only go so fast. Thanks for explaining what happens as speed increases. Had a squirrely speed boat in the past. Not at all my interest any more than spending mountains of money to accomplish it.
Did you have these speed experiences by making a series of changes over time? Can you tell me what would be required for moderate gains? Thanks for sharing. Any pictures of the boat you mention. I would enjoy seeing them. At what speed does the speed of the boat deteriorate the handling properties? For me the optimum would be a bit more speed maintaining the sort of handling any 2001 operator is sure to love.Again thanks for your time. Brian
Jus Fishin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 8:07pm
On a 2001, expect a rate of return of about 5% (mph per hp) up to the low to mid 50's, give or take. That's about the point where squirrelly things can start to happen, as well as the point where the cost per mph starts going up even more.

In terms of speed, there is nothing to be gained from a prop change alone unless your current prop is junk or incredibly mismatched to the hull/power train.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by restored82 restored82 wrote:

Can you tell me what would be required for moderate gains?

Brian,
I'm sure Joe will speak up but Donald has too.
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

the ACME 540 Prop seems to be the ticket for the most bang for the buck. You can put GT40P heads and a better intake to help it breath and you will notice a difference. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 9:21pm
Did I read some time ago that rudder stall becomes an issue on some of these CCs when pushed hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 9:43pm
Thanks for your input Donald..Gt 40 heads along with a performer intake .How much horsepower gain would that change produce.   How would that translate in gained mph?I already have the Acme 540 .It seems to function comparably to the 13x13 that came stock. Better hole shot though I think than the 13x13. Looking at their website there are many propeller options. A lot I noticed in the four blade configuration. Would any of those add a top end advantage? Thanks to everyone else who has responded as well . Your input is valuable research for these ideas I question.
Jus Fishin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:41pm
No,each time you add a blade it can slow you down except in something like a surface drive application. Keep the prop you have now. Gt40p heads are what you'd want. They flow better and have smaller combustion chambers which bump up the compression. Most likely not feel much without a cam change too. It's a slippery slope---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:54pm
I is a slippery slope but- some fresh gt40p heads a set of 1.7 to 1 roller rockers, and an intake manifold to go along with a 540, makes for a pretty fun and reliable ride with minimal cash outlay.   If you are feeling foggy feel free to port match the intake and exhaust manifolds and conside removing the mufflers- the sound will certainly make it feel faster.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 5:50pm
Brian, when Tim said 5% what he means is it takes about 20 HP to gain 1 mph, so to answer your question you need about 100 more HP to get an additional 5 mph out of your boat. So if you have a 240 HP 351 you have to find 100 HP, which is 40% more than you have now. Thinking of it that way may make you realize why it can cost so much to generate more speed.

Like Joe and others are saying, you can do some pretty basic mods to push your HP into the low 300's. Not sure of the cost, maybe $1,500 or so? I haven't done it so that's just a guess, someone else will chime in with a better estimate.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 6:28pm
"The engine horsepower (or watts) needed to move a boat through the water goes up with the 3rd power of the speed This means that to go twice as fast we need an engine with 8 times the horsepower."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 7:22pm
Correction:
I mistakenly said I rode in Joe's SN at Green Lake. I mis-spoke. I watched it make passes. It was very fast and sounded as about as mean as any boat out there. I rode in Tim's BFN. I would not even venture a guess how much HP that BB is making but it sounds like a funny car and if memory serves me correctly my phone showed over 63 mph, and it was too choppy to really wring it out. That is the ride I will never forget.
Here are a couple good videos that capture just how fast mid 50s is in one of these inboards. I'm hoping to see high 40s or maybe 50 in mine if I'm lucky and that is fast enough for me. Any faster and I would be afraid to let others use it.
Ski Tique

BFN

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

"The engine horsepower (or watts) needed to move a boat through the water goes up with the 3rd power of the speed This means that to go twice as fast we need an engine with 8 times the horsepower."
Pete does that equation cover most hull designs? i would think it would vary greatly
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 7:59pm
Peter,
It's a general rule of thumb but does apply to most hull designs. Examples woul be a 10 HP on a fishing boat and then a 200 HP in a say a ski boat. You would use the 8 multiplier for both.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 8:38pm
Or since he's Canadian, put in a metric speedometer...and instantly top speed goes from 50 to 80 with no upgrade necessary, eh?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 10:48am
Now if you can get a hold of one of those SPECIAL d*ck Pope owned Cypress Gardens editions.They had SPECIAL internals from the Correct Craft / PCM Factory. They were 70 MPH boats.

Or so I have heard.

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 11:41am
Mine didn't have one Don,I wonder if liability issues in the 60's was different from the 80's? Or maybe Holman Moody didn't want their secrets out for the competition to steal so a production engine was reinstalled ? I guess we will never know.....   What we do know is you'll be kicking yourself some day for letting that one get away,that's for sure!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 12:13pm
True, but the wife gets what the wife wants in-order to stay out of Divorce Court. Also, the insurance on a 70 PLUS MPH boat can be tough!!!!!! Just ask Chad from State Farm. Then you have to put that -300 Anti Freeze every winter and we all know that is not cheap either.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 1:05pm
All this focus on the top end, what about the bottom end, nothing like a good stern and ya gots to have sum junk in the trunk!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 3:06pm
Leave it to Quinner to be thinking about the Fat Bottom Girls during the Holidays.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 3:18pm
He's a giver Don, just trying to spread cheer during the holiday season
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic