Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I already put in anti-freeze but did not drain 1st
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I already put in anti-freeze but did not drain 1st

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I already put in anti-freeze but did not drain 1st
    Posted: November-11-2015 at 2:51pm
I know the winterization posts get old and there are lots on this site. but, I have a different twist... my question is I have already ran 5 gallons of antifreeze into the system, the boat was warmed up (I think about 150 degrees on t-stat or so.)

.but I have been reading that maybe I should have drained the block first? I am not opposed to draining everything out of it now and then filling it back up. Is this what I should do?

btw-to fill it I removed the hose that goes to the floor where the water is sucked in when it is running (maybe called raw water pump hose?) stuck it in a bucket of 5 gallons of anti-freeze and let it suck it all in.
2Tall - 1996 Ski Nautique GT-40
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 2:58pm
maybe? definitely!

drain it and do it again. not worth the risk
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 3:01pm
that is what I was thinking too...I was going to do it again today, just wanted someone to push me into it....so thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 3:21pm
JD,
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

maybe? definitely!
drain it and do it again. not worth the risk

You should have researched first!!

How about some pictures of the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 3:31pm
Would have, should have....It is no big deal, just a few extra minutes spent doing things I like (messing with boats)...

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 3:54pm
If you used pink RV stuff then 100% for sure drain and do again, if you used real anti-freeze it may actually be fine. Before I got in the know I always winterized exactly as you described using real anti-freeze, never had an issue, maybe I was just lucky who knows :).
At this point though I would either simply drain everything or drain and suck up again.
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 4:04pm
It was pink RV Marin anti-freeze   -50 rating....I am 100% convinced I am going to drain it and start over. I might as well, I like doing it, and I have time to do it. It also makes me feel like I am getting ready to go boating since I am spending time with the boat. I know....we all have our ways of coping with winter
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 4:22pm
Just drain & save the money not replacing the pink AF.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 8:42pm
OK, so I went and pulled 5 drain plugs (as instructed by other posts on this site) 2 on the block, 2 on each manifold end, and 1 on the U shape hose on the front of the engine. It is a good thing I did....
3 of the 5 plugs after I pulled them out shot out clean water....

The manifold plugs had anti-freeze in them and the other plugs did eventually turn to anti-freeze as well, but I am not going to lie to you....there was a lot of clean water coming out of there and every bit of it would have frozen solid.....

So the fact that this has kept me awake the last few nights was for reason.....I needed to just drain the thing and be done with it.

So I am leaving it all drained out. for the winter. I don;t think I will even put anti-freeze back into it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 9:26pm
Thanks for reporting your results. Many people read these posts so you probably helped 10 lurkers..

You might also want to dump the strainer & trans cooler too.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Thanks for reporting your results. Many people read these posts so you probably helped 10 lurkers..

Yes JD, thanks.
Chris,
We should log JD's posts for future reference. It will come in handy to quote when other uninformed (no offence JD) just stick a hose in a bucket of antifreeze and expect it to work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 10:18am
Pete - I think the suck-in method was invented by the engine rebuilders association.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Pete - I think the suck-in method was invented by the engine rebuilders association.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 11:56am
Nice looking boat from what I can tell. Is it a 97?

If you have a heater, be sure to blow out the hose with compressed air while the drain plugs are removed.

-Phil
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 12:33pm
Looks like a 96.

Thanks for following up with your results... Reinforces exactly why draining is important!
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 3:13pm
You are correct, It is a 96'   I just got it 3 days ago. It is in amazing shape. I haven't even had it out yet. Just winterized it and ran it with fake a lake. The motor runs perfectly and even the bilge was clean and tidy. Bought from the original owner...he has every piece of paperwork ever done. Pretty incredible. The next 6 months will be absolute torture. I might have to drive to Arizona in March and get my ski on...
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2015 at 3:12pm
Wow that is a nice looking boat!! I would like to trade up for one just like that. You are going to have a long winter waiting on spring in Montana of all places. I hope someone keeps a lot of warm water posts and video on this site.
Watuugasn84
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2015 at 8:23pm
Wow nice!! Your lucky. I also just bought a 96 and it was a complete nightmare. My fault for Buying long distance and trusting the previous owner. How much did you spend if you don't mind?
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 7:03am
I drained my engine, like I do every year, but this year I added antifreeze to the block by pouring through the t-stat housing. As the engine was cold it took a while to fill but did eventually. I then pulled each block plug out to ensure all was well and in both cases some clear water shot out first before seeing the antifreeze!

I was surprised to see this as I always drain the engine at the marina and tow the boat home (6miles, plenty of hills and bumpy roads) with the plugs out to ensure all residual water has been purged. Also, I always probe the holes for crud as well.

Just goes to show you?

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
Sampson 182 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 12:39pm
Thread was a huge help!!!!   I drained 2 block plugs, both manifold plugs but didn't do the one under the RWP on the U. I put 5 gallons of concentrated antifreeze (not 50/50 blend, not pink RV) in a bucket sucked up through the RWP . Just for curiosity I went back and pulled the 2 block plugs just to peak and antifreeze came out no water I quickly screwed them back in. Should I check the other 3 to see if they have antifreeze or do you think by draining everything first I am ok? Oh and I hooked it all back up and drained the strainer. NC winters aren't like those up North or those Midwest type of stuff but we see some single digits every now and again. I thought by using the concentrate if there was any residual water left it would mix and not be too diluted.
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 1:15pm
Don,
Since you used the more difficult suck up instead of the simple pour in method and didn't drain the J tube, I'd suggest opening up the other drains and take a look just to be safe. Don't worry if you loose some anti since it's really the low points that you are going after. Out of curiosity and if you have the tester, get the freeze protection level you ended up with and post it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 5:52pm
OK Pete I will but it will have to be tomorrow though. I have an antifreeze tester with the squeeze bulb on top will that work and where should I check it at? And I will unscrew the manifold plugs at the rear and the J-tube at the bottom to see antifreeze for myself. My previous boats I have always undone the upper water pump hose(Moomba 350 Indmar) and just poured it in like you said but I seen a lot of posts on here about the bucket method and thought that would get the motor , water manifolds and RWP all in one..
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 6:14pm
Don,
I've mentioned it several times that all I ever put in an engine is 1 gal. Many try to fill up the engine and all I suggest and do is get the low spots.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 8:24pm
Single digits, when was that?
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 8:50pm
Tim D about 4 years ago we had a real solid freeze with snow around January. I know cause with my job temps in that range make it very difficult for us to do things and I remember being at work all day and all nite with a kerosene blast heater keeping the water equipment from freezing.
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 10:19pm
I'm between White Lake and Lake Waccamaw, down here I think it hit 18.
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 10:36pm
TIM D ,
I am very familiar with the Columbus county areas ,but here in Sampson county I spent all nite trying to keep the water moving in our facility. When we opened the bay door for around 3 to 4 min the water inside the bay would freeze solid in that short of length of time. not to mention the outside equipment that uses 3 and 4 inch lines froze solid with 1 1/2 inch of foam insulation wrapped around them with heat lamps and heat tape placed on the pipes at different points around the area. at 1:00 AM that nite on my apple I-Phone 4 s. said it was at 9 degrees. TRUST ME I LOOKED! it was nasty cold!!
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don,
Since you used the more difficult suck up instead of the simple pour in method

Holy cow Pete, loosen up the turtleneck, lol.

I am curious, explain to me how the suck up method is so much more difficult?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 12:24pm
Chris,
I will admit that the suck up method is only slightly harder but in my opinion not as convenient. The other factor is as you know, I'm very "old school" plus the pour in is by the old school manuals!! With the suck through, you need the bucket, in most cases an extra length of hose and sometimes a coupling to attach the hose depending on where you connect the hose. Then there's the 5 gallons typically needed whereas the pour in only needs 1 gallon. I also like to fog before shutting down the engine for the drain/fill but once again, I'm old school on this one and doesn't apply to EFI engines. Since you remove spark plugs to fog them, fogging can be done after the drain/fill.

BTW, I'm not the only member here that feels the pour in is quicker and easier.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 2:48am
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

Nice looking boat from what I can tell. Is it a 97?

If you have a heater, be sure to blow out the hose with compressed air while the drain plugs are removed.

-Phil

A Phil sighting!!! How is the Gen1 coming along

(Sorry for the threadjack)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic