NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 ski Nautique project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 ski Nautique project
    Posted: October-20-2015 at 10:35pm
Hi guys, long time lurker looking for a bit of advice.
First of all thanks to all those that have posted pictures of Stringer replacement and documented the process.. I'm sure I've read every one.
I'm looking at a 64 ski Nautique that is in fairly rough shape. The stringers definitely need to be replaced. The current owner had the original 312 y Block rebuilt and has all the receipts. It has a dual side draft Weber intake which I haven't seen very much. The Stringers and hull look a little different from those on later model boats but I assume the process is the same? Also, the engine and transmission mounts look different as well in that there doesn't appear to be any vertical adjustment other than adding shims underneath the pads that bolt to the stringers. Is there a better option for this?
Is there anything specifically I should look at or inspect?
Thanks so much!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 12:26am
Ethan,
Welcome and make sure we get some pictures.

You are correct that the stringer replacement process is the same no matter what hull or boat. Just take plenty of measurements and duplicate the originals.

Wedges and shims for engine alignment are the norm in older hulls. There's nothing wrong with them and pretty easy to use.

Those side draft carbs are Carter YH's and not Weber's. What trans is in it? The Dearbomatic? If so, has any work been done on it? Does the engine run?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 1:37am
Thanks for the quick response!
I haven't purchased the boat yet, I'm still deciding while doing some research.
The engine is still on the stand. It was rebuilt by a reputable local engine shop.The current owner is going to confirm what the transmission is. He said it was in service when he got it but the engine was smoking, hence the rebuild. I know it has a large cast aluminum mounting bracket which seems to match some pictures of dearbomatics I've found.
Is it difficult to switch to a velvet drive so far as adapter plates, mounts etc?
I would basically get everything for just over half of what he has in just the engine rebuild.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 3:27am
I am always excited to see a Gen 1 Ski Nautique saved from the landfill and restored. My Dad has one, and aside from asthetics, it is pretty much in factory original condition. I have tons of pictures and can always take more if you are looking for anything specific.

Weber Carbs would be really unique, so I am siding with Pete on the Carter YH's, sounds like the same set up as my Dad's: Ford 312 Y Block with Carter YH Carbs and an Interceptor Marine conversion. Most of the manuals are in the reference section. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 8:11am
Ethan,
A switch to a Velvet drive isn't difficult but finding a bell housing may be. However, the nice thing about the Velvet is the input face/flange is made to SAE specs so not impossible to find. The damper plate (flex plate) on the flywheel is a standard readily available part.

If you ever talk to the engine rebuilder,ask them if they did the rocker arm shaft modification. It involves plugging the oil drain hole in the aft end of the shaft. There's information on the mod on Yblocksforever.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 8:29am
Your guys are right. The carbs are carter's.
I've always had a soft spot for older correctcrafts and I really like the split cockpit. Hopefully I can save this one. Thanks for the offer skutsch, the seats are toast so having a few pictures and measurements would be a great help in time . There's a fairly vast boat boneyard not far from here with a 70s cc skier lying in ruin. I know it's has a velvet drive although it is mounted behind a Chrysler 318. Thanks for the heads-up on the engine mod.
Hopefully I can post some picture later this week.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 8:58am
If you have a Dearbo model C, you will not need a different bell housing. The VD will match what you have. You will need to change the dampner plate, shorten the shaft and install new trans cooler lines. If you have an older Dearbo than a C, you will need a different bell housing. There's a guy in South Portland Maine that still has a lot of Interceptor parts. Last I saw he still had a few bell housings hanging on a wall. If you have a C and are going to replace it, I would be interested in buying it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 9:31am
Is this the turquoise SN that had been painted white with red/blue stripes? I'm glad someone finally snapped it up.

I'm betting that Skier in the boneyard is dark green? It's been discussed here as well, the guy is real proud of it. Very cool boat and color though.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 11:05am
Tim, what green skier are you referring to?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Tim, what green skier are you referring to?

It is right off of I-85 on a Service Road under a big Doplar Weather Radar for the local Greenville, SC TV Station near Easley, SC. . It sits on top of a large hill.

Many have seen it from the highway during the winter when the grass is dead, but the guy who runs the boat lot thinks it is worth a lot of money. It is on a non CC Trailer, but otherwise seems to be close to being together with the motor box open. It has a yellowish faded windshield. However, I have only looked from the fence which is about 60 feet away. It has to be s full of water and who know what else. Hopefully, the plug is not in it.

As each year passes, it becomes more and more of a parts boat and bar project. It is a crying shame. Eight years ago, it could of been saved. Now it is not worth it. She was green.

JMO,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 2:20pm
I looked the boat over maybe a month ago. The plugs had clogged with debris and the water was up several inches over the floor boards. I covered the engine back up and drained the water out just to ease her suffering if nothing else. The boat has been there in that same spot since at least 2000 since looked it over for the first time. Its truly a shame..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 4:28pm
There was a thread a long time ago about it with pictures and a google earth screen capture of it too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 4:39pm
Just as I had expressed interest back when that thread came up, I'm in contact with Ethan now about that Skier... Would love to bring it back to its former glory. We shall see.

Now I want to hear and see more about that '64Sn!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 9:44am
Dearbo Model C
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 10:08am
Bruce,
Yup, just looking at the bolts, I can see it's an SAE flange pattern.
I cringe every time I see your carb and intake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 10:01pm
well.. its a project...

Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 10:16pm
This looks just like the one above save the condition, so I'm assuming Dearbo model c..
most of the posts I found on these were a few years old, so are there still parts available for these?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 11:49pm
So did you end up getting it then? Although it's 3 years newer here is Craigs project that will give you some great reading.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 9:35pm
Well..its been a bit so here is a little update.
while waiting on materials to arrive from us composites, I tore into the original raw water pump. It was totally shot and no replacement parts are to be found aside from the impellors and mechanical seal. I considered switching to a crank driven pump but didnt really care for how it would look.. I bored out the rear housing and pressed in a bushing as well as truing up the impellor mating surface..

At this point the epoxy and fiberglass showed up so it was on to the starboard stringers...

This is what awaits on the other side.. Notice the fern that has been growing pretty well considering the conditions.

At this point the plan is to finish the stringers and laterals and then flip the boat to give the bottom some attention. It appears a po painted some type of antifouling goop that the gel boat didnt react well to.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 9:50pm
Ethan,
Nice work on the pump. There is always a way when it comes to restoration!

Keep going on that hull. You have a ways to go but it will be worth the effort.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Eether Eether wrote:

This looks just like the one above save the condition, so I'm assuming Dearbo model c..
most of the posts I found on these were a few years old, so are there still parts available for these?

Hard parts are not available. That's why I'd be interested in yours if you want to sell it. We had one rebuilt a few years ago and all it needed was a clutch pack and a new bearing. It has worked fine since. The one in the picture I posted needs a rebuild as it has a dirty neutral and slips occasionally on take off.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 10:03pm
Thanks Pete, I don't know how original I'll be able to keep every little minutia, but I like doing what I can.. 😃

I might let the dearbomatic go Bruce. I found a velvet drive that I plan on using. I debated back and forth, but ultimately I think the velvet will serve me better in the long run. The tranny mount on the dearbo was broken and welded back together at some point. When the stringers started going south they kept running it to the detriment of a couple different items on the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 10:11pm
Ethan,
I've got a Velvet on my 312. I feel for you it would be the smart way to go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2015 at 9:35am
VD would be a good way to go where you are tearing the boat all apart. The originality aspect of it really doesn't mean anything to a Correct Craft unless you're going to restore that boat exactly as it came from the factory. We want to stay with the Dearbo because it's the most cost affective way to deal with the tranny and they have worked well for us. Very few people will work on them or even know what they are.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:04pm
Tim and Donald,
I am in Greenville SC right now for business, I stopped by today in Piedmont SC to see the Green Skier I have watched and tried to buy for years and see Jim Forrester the old guy that owns the old salvage yard. He sold the Skier and it was picked up this past Saturday he said a guy in the Greenville area picked it up. I am the one that posted the photos of it on here years ago. So it might pop up on here soon. Keep your eyes open for it.
There was pieces of the old green upholstery on the ground by the foam blocks it sat on for years. I will be interesting where it pops up.

Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:13pm
Yeah, it might just pop up some day..
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:16pm
Ethan So did you get it ?   Good for you if you did. I had tried to buy it for at least 15 years Jim wanted waaay too much for it. Post some pics if you got it. every time I traveled this stretch of 85 I would go by and check on it and talk with Jim.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 7:50am
Still gotta work out the logistics with Ethan, but that green Skier should be headed up this way Mike. (Thanks again Ethan, I'll call you this week!!!)
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 9:38am
Need an empty hitch Tim? Coming up next week to CT for a short trip.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 7:55pm
So... just have one secondary stringer left and then its on to floor related supports and what not.
After looking at the skier and then talking to Tim I'm thinking about moving the raw water pickup farther aft. Right now its just forward of the tracking fin which doesnt seem the best. Since in a week or two the boat will be flipped to redo the gelcoat it seems like it might be as good time as ever. I'm open to any thoughts anyone might have..
Also Im wondering if there are any first gen sn owners near greenville sc or surrounding that would'nt be apposed to me coming and taking some measurements of various things that are missing from my boat. The 70s windshield is off and will NOT be reinstalled so it looks like Ill be making a proper looking one..

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic