NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 ski Nautique project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Still gotta work out the logistics with Ethan, but that green Skier should be headed up this way Mike. (Thanks again Ethan, I'll call you this week!!!)

Great News Tim.

I am glad it is going to good hands, but I will kind of sorta miss seeing it about every three weeks as I pass it on I-85 as I travel for business.

I am curious if the trailer that it sat on was usable? I am pretty sure you will be changing it to a Correct Craft Trailer. However, I never got close enough to really check it out. I has been several years since I have even gotten close to it. Even then I never got past the dang tall fence.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:33pm
It was hard to see through the weeds and trees, but it actually was sitting on foam blocks. It's sitting on a Correct Craft number 2 right now, but it's just a loaner..
The boatyard is shutting down, so I don't know how much longer it would have been there.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:44pm
Wow. Saved right before the final bell sounds. Well done!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:48pm
This thread should probably be renamed " the infamous skier. Oh and some other boat project.. Haha
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2015 at 10:26am
Well there has to be at least 150 or more boat for him to get rid of if he is selling that property. My guess is that property is very valuable and most of those boat will have to go to a landfill. However, it will take one heck of a landfill and many saw blades or a heavy dozer to bust up those boats. There is likely a few highly sought after Bay Liners in that yard.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 12:59pm
Finally got the engine all back together.. Dropped it in the boat this morning just to make sure everything was going to line up down the road.

I don't know how many people even look at this thread, but I would just about kill for any pictures of early first gens anyone has. Specifically at this time how the battery area should be. It looks like there used to be a piece of plywood glassed to the bilge that the battery sat on. Also pictures of the plywood pieces that go on either side of the engine directly behind the seat need to be fabricated and there is nothing left to go off of.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:03pm
Or if there is a first gen closer than the 8 hours to Orlando I'd gladly bring a copious amount of the owners favorite brews for the opurtunity to look it over!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:22pm
Ethan,
I think your fuel pump is upside down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:55pm
Here are some of the pictures I think you are looking for...

Battery Box - This is right in front of the pylon, under the front seats, shot is from leaning over the footboard and looking back to the motor:

It was moved to behind the Driver before we bought it (it was a demo boat):

Here are a couple of shots of the panel behind the driver seat next to the engine:

Panel behind the Observers seat is the same with no door.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:57pm
I don't know if Dubuque IA is closer, but I could meet you there sometime, that is where my Dad has his boat...
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 2:31pm
Thanks skutsch! those are big help. Thanks for the offer, I'm down in SC, but if I visit my cousin that lives up there I'll keep that in mind. Does the bottom of the pylon on that boat anchor into the hull? Mine has a bracket that bolts to a bulkhead in between the primaries.

That's a test to see how well you know y-blocks Pete..
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 3:03pm
Yes, there is a bracket that is fiberglassed into the hull, you can kind of see it here:

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 11:49pm
Haha, better run out to the garage and look again, Pete! I thought the same thing until I looked closer, but I'm no y-block guy.

I got a chance to check out Ethan's progress in person this past week, top notch all around. I can't wait to see it continue to progress!

Skutch's dads boat will be a great reference point, almost all original!

Phil's '65 he's redoing would be another... Here are a few threads to check out:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35457&title=1965-nautique-update

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29052&KW=&title=1963-nautique-progress

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25180&KW=&title=63-sn-is-back-home

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13945&KW=&title=63-ski-nautique

Does mike thrower (nautique frk) still have an early first gen? He's in your backyard, Ethan.

I'll follow up in another thread about the Skier. :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Haha, better run out to the garage and look again, Pete! I thought the same thing until I looked closer, but I'm no y-block guy.

Tim,
My 312 the pump is the other way with the sediment bowl down. I know of another 312 which has the bowl at the bottom as well. With the bowl up, it makes it pretty hard to clean without getting gas all over so I'm confused!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:06am
this is so cool following these threads...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:10am
A quick Google image search revealed more examples of the sediment bowl facing up than down, so take that for what it's worth. Plenty of results from this website, including the y that went from billy to roger. Perhaps more than one style of pump? This ones a carter iirc.

I looked at Ethan's for a few minutes and the shape of the pump matched the boss of the block the way it was installed... Sure didn't seem to be an easy way to flip it. Caught my eye for sure but not being a y-block guy I was easily convinced he had it right!
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:13am
I don't know Pete, that's what I thought but it was like that when I got it and I'm not sure how it could be flipped and be still be actuated by the cam concentric. Fwiw I was looking at and old "jimmy" six cylinder in my dad's shop and the pump was mounted the same way. What are the casting numbers on yours?
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:17am
Thanks for all the links Tim, I just read them all!
Looking forward to seeing that skier!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:26am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

My 312 the pump is the other way with the sediment bowl down. I know of another 312 which has the bowl at the bottom as well. With the bowl up, it makes it pretty hard to clean without getting gas all over so I'm confused!

I wonder if you shut off the fuel and run it dry if the bowl empties by gravity.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 6:53am
Well, I just dug out the manual and the engine pictures do in fact show the pump sitting with the bowl up however, there are two pumps listed in the parts section. My 312 is under wraps down in the boat house so I'll need to get down there and take a look. I know it's a Carter but I want to see if I can get a part # off it see which one I have. I did put a rebuild kit in it several years ago but couldn't find the paper work that may have shown which pump mine is but, there's a possibility that both pumps would use the same kit. Visually both look the same so I'll see if I can find out what the difference is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 9:24am
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 10:44am
The main # on mine is MO-1521 with 3495s being stamped into the mounting boss edge.
Id be interested in the other style if this one dies at some point in the future. The only place I could find that makes the rebuild kit was Then and now automotive. carter rebuild They are really helpful!

I havent uploaded many pics because stringer rebuilds are so well documented, but here is where things stand right now.. I need to grind more out of the bilge in preparation for fairing gel. How many layers of biax should I run over the shaft log? its bedded with milled fiber/epoxy and has one layer now.

Does anyone know what this is from and what I should have instead? My gear shift is on the dash so I just need throttle for what thats worth. The mounting paraphernalia for the original setup is still behind the mounting area.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:11am
Ethan,
With a shift on the dash, the typical accelerator is a foot pedal.

I'd go at least two layers of biax over the log. Three would be better. With each layer, go progressively bigger.

That shift or throttle looks like it's from a 50's outboard. Was it installed in lieu of a foot pedal? Is there any evidence of a foot pedal?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:15am
Ethan,
Have you been any CPES on the wood? The ply sole doesn't look like there's anything on it. How about the bottom of the ply?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:19am
There was a single lever Morse throttle that was available on the early boats and I would guess that may be what you had. They are referred to in the reference section.

As odd as that upside down fuel pump looks, I can't see anyway that it could be mounted or put together backwards. There's one with the bottom bowl on ebay now.   

Edit: the fuel pump is no longer listed, but I think it was the same guy with the very high priced carb set up. You may want to contact him if your looking for one.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:28am
Pete, everything has cpes with the exception of the top of the plywood as you noted. I cpes ed the bottom and edges and then covered it with a layer of glass before bedding it to the stringers.
There was no evidence of a hot foot, but there wasn't much left of anything frankly. It does seem like the boat may have come with the ski group option as it has a factory tracking fin and the old mounting plate for the throttle looks factory.

Thanks Bruce, I guess flea Bay would be the best option for that?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:33am
I've seen them come up, but like anything unusual, you got to be in the right place at the right time. Let it be known that you're looking for one. We've got several members that seem to be extremely good at finding stuff when it comes up.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 8:56pm
Almost done fitting the floor. Haven't deciding what is going to happen under the fore deck as it was just a mass of foam.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 9:44pm
I don't remember exactly, but I believe there is just a foot board that is at an angle. It is screwed into the floor (or maybe even on hinges) and then is just supported at the top by the side of the hull. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures... Just this one which shows the top of the foot board resting on the sides of the hull.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 10:53pm
That's all that is in my '63 Skier, angled footboard. No hinges, it's fixed.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic