Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coil Pack to Disty

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil Pack to Disty
    Posted: October-08-2015 at 11:25am
I remember reading several posts about dumping the stock ignition. I am going to ask a few specific questions then when time allows get to searching again.

Anyway, my 92 SN still has the OEM coil pack ignition. I am curious what the symptoms are that would have me replace them with a distributor?

Background... I had a leaking carb and rebuilt that this summer, she runs like a dream. The issue is dropping the boat in after 2 weeks or more of storage. I always struggle getting her to fire. She always does. Then the rest of the day she fires up with just a touch of the key.

But yesterday with a strong battery, I could not get her to fire. Carb was fine, choke was fine, starter was strong, but no fire. I gave up and took her home. At home, in the driveway, she fired right up.

So will a coil pack problem be intermittent? Any other suggestions on the problem or fixing it?

Thanks,
Clark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 11:42am
Clark,
Intermittent spark is one of the symptoms of the coil packs going. Next time it happens, check for spark to rule out a fuel problem.

Here's a recent thread with aditional links you would find interesting

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 12:11pm
Sounds like the ProTech system is going bad. I had similar symptoms: On my 1994, the engine would be running fine...then suddenly the engine wouldn't start. Wait 30 minutes and then it would fire-up with no problems. This cycle of start and no-start would repeat itself at unpredictable intervals. Very frustrating.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 12:23pm
Did you confirm that you did or did not have spark when she wouldn't fire?

When we first got our boat she would start no problem if she sat for a week. When she sat for longer periods of time she would have a hard time starting.

Once I poured a bit of fuel down the carb, she'd fire right up and started no problems the rest of the day. We always had spark. The issue was fuel/carb related.

We wound up replacing our ProTec with a DUI as our coil packs were leaking and we figured it was a ticking time bomb. $500 and she was good to go.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Clark,
Intermittent spark is one of the symptoms of the coil packs going. Next time it happens, check for spark to rule out a fuel problem.

I did not check for spark and have not. I planned to do that once home, but she started. I will try that this afternoon ( if I get a no-start).

My method is to pull a plug and ground the plug to the block and look for spark while I hit the key. Is that the best way to check for spark on the Pro-tec?

Clark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 2:38pm
Clark,
Although grounding a plug when it's not in the block and looking for a spark has been used for years, it's not the best way. There are some testers that are put in line with a plug wire but the best is to clamp on the inductive pick up on a timing light on a wire.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Clark,
Although grounding a plug when it's not in the block and looking for a spark has been used for years, it's not the best way. There are some testers that are put in line with a plug wire but the best is to clamp on the inductive pick up on a timing light on a wire.

That sounds perfect. I have one of those. I could check all 8 quickly. I guess I don't need to know about all 8. I would assume that if I get a spark on 1 then the coil pack is working, correct?

After studying up on this, I think I should just make the change. Maybe about $350? How is the change over? Are there directions for our engines, or are the directions generic?

malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

We wound up replacing our ProTec with a DUI as our coil packs were leaking and we figured it was a ticking time bomb. $500 and she was good to go.

I went to http://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/ and there are several to choose from. What engine should I have, and how do I find out for sure?

Should I buy the $90 plug wires from them too? Any other items to buy? This baby sounds like a plug and play... with a check the timing in there too, right?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 3:51pm
DIrections for the swap on a '92 can be found HERE although this was using a DUI unit.

Some good questions and answers about the swap can be found HERE

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 1:39pm
Well I used the induction timing light to check for spark. As luck would have it, there was only a short delay in starting. Last night, the starter seemed to give me maybe 3 rotations, then the engine fired up.

During those 3 rotations the timing light did not light. As soon as I saw the light, the engine fired up.

Is that kinda normal? A short delay prior to firing? I guess I figured the delay was the starter getting the engine up to speed.    As I mentioned, during a day on the lake, I get very little delay while on the water. Key on, hear the starter, and varoom, she is running.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2015 at 9:42pm
OK it is official. Put the boat up for three days. Got it back out today, put the timing light on it and tried to start it. 3 or 4 minutes of cranking and I got no light on the timing light. I guess I'll be buying ProTec replacement this week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic