NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pylon Strength & Extended Pylons

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pylon Strength & Extended Pylons
    Posted: October-06-2015 at 8:33pm
I've never been worried about pulling skiers on the factory pylon in my '94 SNOB. However, I just installed a new Fly High extended pylon. I realize that the front cables should do a good job at protecting the main pylon against a direct pull to the stern, but how about when when a wakeboarder pulls hard out to the side? No cable support there...

Anybody ever bend a pylon using an extended unit? How about where the pylon is mounted into the floor/hull of the boat?

Am I just being overly paranoid? I did come up with a couple of creative solutions for adding 2 cables in a tri-mount configuration. Should I even waste my time worrying about this?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 9:22pm
Don't waste your time with the extra cables. We pulled wakeboarders with our extended pylon for almost 2 years with no issues. The key is to have the right amount of tension on the front line. We would ratchet ours until we saw the pole move slightly forward.

Our pylon on our '92 had a slight bend near the base, the extended pylon sat about a foot from the base of the stock pylon.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 12:38am
I used one for six years with my 80 with no problem but I was using a Bow Strap. However, my fly high had instructions on the front cover pad that showed you the angle not to exceed when pulling people. Basically, you need to keep people behind the pylon of the boat. Just stay within their recommendations. I do not remember exactly what they were. I used by pole to entertain the ladies at the sandbar with not problems either.

I hope this helps,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 12:57am
Mine has a warning sticker to not use for slalom skiing.

It's designed for wakeboarding, so no worries there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 2:39am
I'm on my 3rd year with my FlightPipe, no problems so far. I tighten the bow strap until I've got some good tension pulling the pylon forward slightly. I'm not any good but have a few much better boarders that will pull hard outside at times, enough to list the boat noticably. I did have my pylon loosen up earlier this summer, not sure if that was caused by the pipe or not, I felt it when slaloming off the normal pylon location, had to snug up the 6 pylon nuts.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic