Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So this happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So this happened...
    Posted: October-05-2015 at 5:46pm
So I went to grab my dorsey trailer from our storage building Located on another property last Friday to pull the boat out for the winter and as I was driving home, a mile from my house an oncoming car crossed the centerline of the road. When I realized she wasn't going to correct, I braked and veered off the road (on my side). She clipped my trailer 6' rearward of my bumper at a 45 deg angle ripping the trailer off my receiver ball and snapping the safety chains. The trailer ended up nearly upside down in the trees, 90 degrees to my direction of travel. Fender is toast, hitch is bent, guide posts are gone, axle was ripped off and spindle connection is bent, bunks are tweaked, and now stop is bent. Texting? I dunno. All I know is that there is also 2k damage to my truck and I'm working with watercraft sales to get a loaner trailer to at least get my boat out while we work out insurance details.

The slap in the face is that I expect I won't be made whole by insurance cause they will only pay actual cash value and not replacement cost, so I'll be stuck with the difference since we all know how often used trailers in good shape come around.

Thank goodness the sport nautique wasn't on it, and that nobody was hurt. I may not be typing this had I not driven off the road.

Pics to come...

Suggestions appreciated as I work out this claim stuff

Thanks,

Kyle
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 5:51pm
I think my last insurance company had a minimum of $1,000 value on my pontoon trailer. Funny thing is the whole package was less than that. I would be getting a quote on a new Ram-Lin!
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 5:52pm
That sucks! Sorry man!

It used to be a 1 x a year or two occurrence when someone would cross into my lane. Now it is like a 1-2 time a week occurrence. Also, daily I have people next to me on the freeway (4 lanes here in Nashville) at 70 plus MPH with their phones in hand texting.

It is a huge problem.
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:10pm
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:21pm
Kyle,
Is there any way they can prove the driver was texting, or doing something else, they werent supposed to be doing?? And it won't be your insurance, it will be theirs paying.. I'd be ready to argue the costs and settle for something you're comfortable with. I' think you might make out better than expected..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:43pm
Crazy. Moj is correct. Other party should be paying.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:46pm
Kyle,
Were any citations issued? Are both your and her insurance companies involved?

You could always call one of the law firms that are always advertising on channels 7, 9 and 12!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:49pm
The police report is not done yet, so I'm not sure what is in that in terms of cause of the accident. The officers asked me if I wanted a citation issued and I told them that it's up to them cents I trust their judgment and all that I am looking for is for my trailer to be fixed.   We'll see what details emerge one that comes out.

The crappy coverage thing is actually coming from my insurance company. They are filing to claims: one for my truck, and one for my boat trailer, since I have two different and specific policies written with them. I think they're thinking they'll pay the claim and subjugate the loss with the other parties insurance company, but it seems they're also not considering the loss of use I'm seeing this fall from the trailer with the costs incurred to rent a trailer for the time being, and the costs incurred to told my wrecked trailer away after the accident.

Got quoted for a new basic Phoenix trailer – $3500. Supposedly like eagle but better.

Hoping I'm not having to consider fixing this trailer to be back to "normal" but if the insurance doesn't come through, I may have to.

Kyle

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by kylem428 kylem428 wrote:

Hoping I'm not having to consider fixing this trailer to be back to "normal" but if the insurance doesn't come through, I may have to.

Kyle

Get a rough estimate from Three Lakes Steel for a repair that way you will be better informed when the insurance company tells you what they plan on paying.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:56pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 6:59pm
Thanks Pete, I'll definately be calling him.

If there's an up side those Dorsey trailers are built like tanks and from the looks of it the main frame didn't take much damage other than cosmetically. That's just rough eyeballing it though...

Kyle
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 7:54pm
Reminds me of when our 1st boat got hit. Definitely do your due diligence to ensure you are establishing proper value for the trailer, and document those other costs. Our insurance company was really good with us, due to them planning to pay the claim then subjugate.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 8:39pm
How old is the trailer? Is it on your boat policy?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 9:17pm
Trailer is a 1994 Dorsey single axle with surge brakes
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 10:18pm
Wow that sucks. I agree with the others in that the other person's insurance should be paying for all of the damages to both vehicles.

We just insured our new boat and trailer for an "agreed upon price"". It's my understanding that the boat and trailer have an agreed upon value and that if they are ever wrecked, that's the price we get for each regardless of age. Trailer is valued at $2500.

Wonder if the cops checked her phone for signs of texting or driving while using the phone????

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 10:33pm
Blanket question that may benefit others:

I would assume that even though insured. progressive wouldn't pay crap on my old trailers as, while they are quite serviceable, they are quite old and so have presumably no real book value. So in the case of above, am I, and probably many others, essentially screwed on the difference between book value on a decades-old trailer and the cost of a suitable replacement?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 12:31am
Does your neck hurt? Better see a chiro just the same. Sometimes it takes a few days for the injury to start to swell.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 7:29am
Thank God you are OK!! Things could have been lots worse for both of you, had you not reacted as you did! I would also consider her "at fault" and her insurance should pay. Would you have a chance for a civil lawsuit? But Hey, trailer can be replaced! Im happy youre still here!
Js
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

Would you have a chance for a civil lawsuit?

Pay 400.00/hr for a lawyer, bypass the insurance company, roll the dice, and instead go for that person's wallet which might actually be empty anyway? Almost never makes sense. Let the insurance companies figure it out. Everyone else make sure your stuff is insured at an agreed upon value.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 11:10am
your are going to hire an attorney for a small property damage claim."?

Fact is that the laws in all states only require the other party to pay actual cash value. You are never going to get new for old. However actual cash value should be what a replacement trailer similar age etc is worth, if you can find one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

Would you have a chance for a civil lawsuit?

Almost never makes sense. Let the insurance companies figure it out.

Very true about going all the way to a civil suit and the insurance companies don't want it to go that far ether. Most cases are settled out of court so having a lawyer involved may be a smart move. They certainly know how to negotiate!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by kylem428 kylem428 wrote:

The police report is not done yet, so I'm not sure what is in that in terms of cause of the accident. The officers asked me if I wanted a citation issued and I told them that it's up to them cents I trust their judgment and all that I am looking for is for my trailer to be fixed.   We'll see what details emerge one that comes out.

The crappy coverage thing is actually coming from my insurance company. They are filing to claims: one for my truck, and one for my boat trailer, since I have two different and specific policies written with them. I think they're thinking they'll pay the claim and subjugate the loss with the other parties insurance company, but it seems they're also not considering the loss of use I'm seeing this fall from the trailer with the costs incurred to rent a trailer for the time being, and the costs incurred to told my wrecked trailer away after the accident.

Got quoted for a new basic Phoenix trailer – $3500. Supposedly like eagle but better.

Kyle

Kyle,
I don't understand something here. Why on earth would you be making a claim against your own insurance company at this point??? Am I missing something here? I mean no one has even seen the police report, including the insurance companies.. I'd hold off on the above claims and wait till there is word from their insurance co. Sure, you can add up all those rental hours, days etc as part of your claim to them... I wouldn't risk your insurance premium being increased until you've exhausted your petition through your Ins co, to theirs....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 2:16pm
Hey all, thanks for chiming in. The police advised me to start the process with my insurance and they will work to subjugate the loss since the other driver is at fault. Hoping this wouldn't hit my premium. In the meantime, I am also working up a claim with her insurance after doing some digging, so at the end of this I will have 2 commitments and I can go for the one that better suits my needs. After speaking with the adjuster with my co this am, she believes the trailer to be a loss and now will work to establish value. I am afraid it will come in low, so I am diligently combing the Internet to try and find recent compatibles. Also calling dealers across the country to see if they have any stock with an msrp or recent sales to document a higher value than what I am anticipating they will come at me with.

Wish me luck!

Kyle
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 3:58pm
Best of luck with the trailer, could have been much worse.
Trailers are pretty simple and maybe yours can be repaired quickly by a good welder/metal worker.
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 9:36pm
Well, after a long week it looks like things are going to work out just fine for my trailer saga. As it turns out, I ordered a new Phoenix trailer today and it isn't going to cost me anything out of pocket. I made a claim with the other party's insurance (progressive) and it seems the adjuster pushed the envelope for me. I pulled new and used trailer quotes from white lake marine, button marine, and Watercraft Sales locally. It seems I was able to convince the adjuster that used trailers just aren't available, and they could be on the hook for significant haul out and storage expenses while we would be waiting for a trailer within the confines of whatever actual cash value they would have settled on. Big props are due to Ryan at Watercraft sales in Three Lakes for putting multiple quotes together and speaking with the adjuster about the "true" value of my trailer.

I can't help but wonder if things were headed this way all along and I didn't need to worry as much but I am just happy it all will work out. Trailer should be here in 3 weeks or so. Meanwhile, Ryan is lending me a trailer to get my boat off the water in the meantime.

Check your coverage. I know I will be reviewing mine and making some changes!

Kyle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 10:17pm
It sounds like the police report ended up in you favor. Do you know if the other driver was cited? Did texting or on a cell phone ever come up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 10:31pm
Kyle, a couple of suggestions on your Phoenix. Be sure to check with them on the placement of the rear guides I think on mine they should have been further up toward the front. When my boat is fully on the trailer the guides do not touch the boat. On a shallow ramp it seems it could move over enough for the prop to hit the trailer.

If you like the type of bow stop you have now make sure you get the same if you have a choice. The one on mine can cause problems on steep ramps

And finally see if the prop cage can be a bolt on instead of a welded on one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2015 at 10:36am
Kyle,
Has the new trailer shown up yet? Has or did Watercraft store the boat for you in the interim?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2015 at 11:26am
Hey there everyone! I owe you guys an update. Watercraft sales lent me a used ramlin trailer for the last month to temporarily store my boat on while we waited for the new trailer to arrive from Phoenix trailers in MI. Consequently, the trailer just arrived to watercraft sales on Tuesday. I draged my boat up there and did the swap Wednesday evening before the nasty weather. The guys at watercraft lifted my boat off the loaner trailer by the rings and plopped down on the Phoenix. So far in the 20 miles I've used it, the new trailer runs very smooth and seems to fit the boat very well.   The only thing I have left to do is put the prop guard rollers on which Phoenix forgot to install. They are sending me a pair and will pay to have them welded on.   This whole Sega worked out pretty well for me. Looking at changing my insurance policy to an agreed value policy with progressive based on their claim service.

Kyle
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2015 at 11:45am
Glad this is working out for you and that no one was hurt
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic