Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in fuel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in fuel
    Posted: October-01-2015 at 2:36pm

Image = Contents of fuel filter/water separator when I winterized friend’s '73 Century on Monday in Wisconsin.
The filter (NAPA 3225) had been in the boat since 6/20/14.
I don’t know how many hours the boat was run in that time period. Not a lot, maybe 20.
Some gas w/ethanol has been in the tank, but most fuel used is sans ethanol.
Boat is kept year-round over water in a "wet" boat house.
I suppose some water is from condensation -- the original tank was replaced with a plastic one -- maybe 10 years ago. The fuel filler thru-hull is offset from tank, so it would be tough to reach bottom of tank with siphon.
Engine has been running OK.
Comments?

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 2:38pm
That jar makes it hard to see what's really inside. If it's running OK what's the problem?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 3:29pm
looks pretty normal to me.   just having air temp differences with less than a full tank of fuel will cause condensation to form inside the tank. the ethanol discussion doesn't play in so much here just because the condensation will happen to the tank, not the fuel.   filling up the tank all the way makes less air space in the tank and therefore helps reduce condensation, but it doesn't sound like this is too practical with the amount of sitting that this boat does.   The fuel will go bad before it is all used up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 3:40pm
Also shows that the seperator is doing it's job. I wonder where he buys his fuel, marina or gas station?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 4:17pm
I hate water in gas almost as much as my engines do!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 12:01pm
Usually the gas is purchased at a local gas station, carried to boat in 5 gal containers. Near the lake, it sells quite a bit of the "real" gasoline. But I know of a few "5 gallons" that contained ethanol.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 4:31pm
And it;'s free!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic