Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ladder or Platform on 1973 Mustang??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ladder or Platform on 1973 Mustang??
    Posted: September-28-2015 at 12:58pm
My ladder broke and needs attention this winter.

There was never a ladder or Platform original on this model, correct?

In reference the 1973 online brochure, it seems to confirm that. The back tube rail seems to be continuous around the stern of boat. I was thinking of doing away with ladder (believe to be a custom hack) and go back to just the rail. Although pretty functional ladder, I had always thought it was a change away from original. I can get in boat ok out of water, but worry about others being able to climb in.

Thoughts, opinions, and advice please!   

1973 CC Mustang
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 1:19pm
I'm not a "keep it original" kind of guy, so for me, adding a swim platform is just a smart practical way to make your boat more user friendly. Once you've had one, it's hard to not want one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 1:19pm
Not all mustangs got ladders (rail would have been continuous), but they were an option. I agree yours is not original. This is what it would have looked like if it were. Platforms were not an option until '78 and don't look appropriate on the smaller colored hull boats, IMHO.

randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 3:57pm
Thanks TRBenj. I remember seeing this ladder before. I am really thinking of removing it.   

I think I have found a good place to do the gel coat work. They said orange and green are the hardest colors to match.   
1973 CC Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

I'm not a "keep it original" kind of guy, so for me, adding a swim platform is just a smart practical way to make your boat more user friendly. Once you've had one, it's hard to not want one.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Platforms were not an option until '78 and don't look appropriate on the smaller colored hull boats, IMHO.

NG,
So a ladder isn't a "smart practical way to make your boat more user friendly"?
Randell,
Keep it original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 2:59pm
how do you even board the boat without a ladder or platform? original or not, a swim platform is a must imo.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 3:05pm
Muscles? Dock? Shallow water? Portable ladder? Lots of options.

Down with pre-78 swim platforms!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by jbach jbach wrote:

how do you even board the boat without a ladder or platform?

Old school method by pulling yourself up and over the gunnels like you did as a kid getting out of the deep end of a swimming pool. We NEVER used the ladders as they were too far away from the diving board.

HOWEVER........ you can buy a folding ladder that hangs over the side and get up that way. Definately easier but it does take up valuable storage space. The boat wasn't designed as a hang out on the lake all day kinda boat. I've done the all day boating thing both ways......Best way is to leave it orignal (if it didn't come that way) and hang out with CCFans all day who have platforms on their boats and just use theirs.

Doesn't hurt to keep those muscles working for you anyway. You neeeded to work off that cold beer you drank before your set.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 3:21pm
Any inboard looks good with a platform and they make the boat so practical. TimM, If I can still haul myself in over the gunnel, you wouldn't like watching me do it, especially in your boat! When your classic is your only boat and the difference between the wife liking it or wanting a pontoon, go with the platform. It can always be removed.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 3:54pm
And, when the boat is in the water, the platform is way less visible than a ladder.

When we go out, and just want to hang-out, swim, relax and enjoy the Correct Craft, we just sit right there on the swim platform and say stuff like:   "Ah - Isn't this really wonderful" and "Oh, hey look at those folks who don't have a platform, is that why they're waving at us because we're sitting here on our platform enjoying all of the benefits of a platform lifestyle?"

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 3:57pm
Al, your boat looks nice with a platform. A lot nicer than those original ladders!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 4:07pm

Platforms were not an option until '78 and don't look appropriate on the smaller colored hull boats, IMHO.

So they're ok on the bigger colored hull boats?

Timbob - I'll challenge anyone who's willing to pulling themselves up over the Riviera's gunnel! I was thinking I should really add a step inside (maybe jumpseat) to help passengers climb into the boat. It's a big step down even for a man child.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 4:22pm
Portable seems a simple short-term solution; but note there are 2 arm sizes dependent on gunwale width. I keep one out of sight in the engine compartment, but agree per above, storage may be not so easy on a Mustang, unless you can tuck a 3-step up front?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 4:57pm
Yeah, that's probably where I would draw the line on platforms.
I wouldn't add one to the Riviera or a Wildcat etc...   They're big enough to keep and store a folding ladder.
On the old Mustang, we would either climb in using the rudder as a step or climb in over the rear gunwale.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 5:43pm
I think this Wildcat looks good with the platform. Not sure what is weighing down the front or who those 2 little ***** are in the canoe.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:18pm
Those little asses look like they're heading for that Malibu.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:22pm
I bet those clowns are pretty good at rowing in circles. Is that the recommended paddling method in Maine?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 7:16pm

I bet those clowns are pretty good at rowing in circles. Is that the recommended paddling method in Maine?

Only if you have a RH'd and LH'd person in the same canoe.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 7:19pm
Randall,
I didn't see that you mentioned what broke on the Ladder? You weren't tying off to it pulling tubes were you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Those little asses look like they're heading for that Malibu.
if you look at the paddle positions it looks like one is heading there and one is heading the other way   probably a cc fan
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 8:18am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Timbob - I'll challenge anyone who's willing to pulling themselves up over the Riviera's gunnel!

Challenge accepted......... Loser buys the first round!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 8:30am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

climb in using the rudder as a step climb in over the rear gunwale.

Al,
Sounds like you and I came from the same school! Old school!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 9:57am

That's the way they do it. Probably why they got up on chairs on disks so quickly at your house. The kid in front looks a little sleepy,

Pete & Al, how do you like people using the splash rail as a step? I saw someone break one off on an old Century once. The boat owner wasn't too happy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete & Al, how do you like people using the splash rail as a step? I saw someone break one off on an old Century once. The boat owner wasn't too happy.

Bruce,
I'd have to say the owner of the Century had some problems. Aft splash rails are typically screwed from the outside into every frame and then from the inside between the frames. The splash rails are prone to rot. The bedding between them and the hull side dries out and water is easily forced in rotting it as well as the planking. My X55 needed rails. The gen 1 SN with the wood rails is a good example too. BTW, yes, I have used rails as well as the rudder for a step.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The kid in front looks a little sleepy .

You know the picture was taken along time ago because the kid in front is actually in the front and not at the house sleeping or laying on the beach hung over.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 12:34pm
Ladders are for Bayliners. Ski boats have platforms. Your family will thank you for it. The only reason it didn't come with one is they hadn't thought of it yet.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 12:44pm
No need to chose between the 2, you can now have both.

They are going hard on their platforms. Keep going until you clear the out-drive...

Can't wait to see the Wake Tractor!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 1:10pm
Those are horrible

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 1:11pm
If that doesn't make a case for putting platforms on anything and everything, I'm not sure what does. The bigger the better!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 1:17pm
Looks like the Bryant even has drink holders!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic