Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat lift
    Posted: September-28-2015 at 1:16am
So I'm contemplating getting a boat lift. One of those simple, standalone, on the bottom next to the dock with the big crank wheel kind of lift. Before pulling the trigger...what I'm currently hanging up on is ... how bad is it to load an SN on an open public lake not protected in any bay or cove or breakwater where the lake can get rough?
My intention would be to not use an anchor when I'm not there. I currently use whips when I'm there. I swim out to get the boat sometime after we arrive at the lake. Then I swim it out to the anchor when we leave. My question has to do with loading in rough water when leaving or as it increases in roughness while we're there to get it off the whips.

Thanks for any real world experiences with lifts. Would it be a foolish waste of money in this kind of scenario?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 6:42am
someone,
Loading a boat on a lift in rough water is easier than swimming! The lift is typically set up with cushioned fenders to match the boat. I don't have them on my lift since I use it for 3 different boats depending on which one I pull out of the boat house. Even without the fenders, it's not bad to center the boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 6:55pm
I'm not sure how big your lake is, but there are some factors to consider. Does the lake freeze? Does the ice move as it melts---if so...lift has to come out every year and you need a place to keep it. Then,,,how much water level variation do you experience? If it is more than a foot or so, it can mean having to adjust the height of the lift, or moving the lift I to deeper water. Some lifts made today can be leveled with a power drill. Floe and Shore Station (and probably many other brands) have that feature. Depth is a factor too...don't want to be in too ,I have more than 6 feet or so of water, or it gets a lot harder to set up, and they do tend to sway a lot when the legs get really long..

Waves....bottom line is you don't want waves washing your boat off of the lift...so you will need to be able to keep your boat high enough to prevent that. If you keep your running gear dry on the lift, it will take a huge wave to carry it off....but I don't know what kind of lake you're one. People who keep their boats on lifts along rivers have to deal with cruiser (and the unmentionable surf) wakes so that could mean an even higher position would be desired.

I'm still new to boating and lifts, but I've had to learn a lot from my friends and neighbors along the way. You may want to keep learning a bit more before you buy a lift. There are several kinds....vertical. Cantilever, hydraulic, and then you might want to motorized your wheel like Ive done to make it easier on the wife or even yourself.

I love my lift now, especially since it is motorized, driven by my boat battery via a quick connect cable.

Keep learning....keep asking...you'll wind up getting the right solution.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I've had to learn a lot from my friends and neighbors along the way.

Peter,
Hopefully you haven't been learning from CQ!! Seriously, he is a pro with lifts and he sure is convenient.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 7:12pm
Last I knew Floe was the only one with easy adjust screw jack legs. Flow makes a 24 wolt super smooth and quiet lift. They also offer a remote control so you can start lowering the boat while walking down to it. I have owned Shoremaster,, Nyman and Floe and I am sold on Floe just for the features mentioned.
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 3:05am
Thanks for the input folks.
My position on my lake is looking across about a mile to the other side and facing about north-west. Primary weather comes from the west. Can certainly get north winds. South and east winds aren't bad as I'm situated below a hill behind me and a bit of a point of land to the south-west. The other side is fairly open and flat. I'm NOT in any kind of deep valley with large slopes on either side.
Reading and learning indeed! I've been reading about vertical guides and power options. Money can add up awfully fast though. Yes I need to pull it out for winter. The lake drops maybe about a foot through the summer. The end of my dock is in about 5' of water. I'm just looking for real world experiences with rough water.
My main concern is the boat bobbing and weaving around trying to get set up on the lift to start lifting. I'm sure loading in calm water would be a snap. It's bumpy water that I'm trying to nail down as to how difficult/possible. What with skegs maybe hitting rails underneath or overwhelming vertical guides and banging the hull on the frame or whatever.
There are two reasons for the concern. 1. When leaving, maybe it happens to be bumpy. 2. When wind is getting up and maybe forecasted to get strong then I would prefer it off the whips.
I can live with the odd surf wave set while on the whips.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 11:29am
IMO it would be easier to pull onto a lift then alongside a dock to hook up lines and whips in rough water conditions. If the lift is equipped with side bunks or guides that will help guide you in, bunks should be high enough so the tracking fins won't hit the cross member regardless, so that should be a non-issue. You will need to take care not to overrun the lift though or your running gear could be damaged from hitting the cross member, this should not be an issue with a little common sense and even the slightest driving skills. Once the boat is in the lift over the bunks a few cranks of the wheel and the boat will stabilize, if you have any others on board they can help hold the boat steady until stabilized.. As Kevin mentioned, if you go with a hydraulic lift most have remotes available for convenience, they are much faster and generally quitter as well. Cable lifts work very well and are typically cheaper, if you go motorized your best bet is a motor that spins the wheel not replaces it.

Kevin you are correct, Floe is the only one who offers the screw jack legs which is a very nice option but those Floe's sure aint inexpensive!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 11:36am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

if you go motorized your best bet is a motor that spins the wheel not replaces it.

This is a key point. If for any reason the powered lift fails, you will still be able to get the boat on and off. I did have a issue with a power outage once due to a lightning storm. I was glad I could get the boat up and out of the water before the storm got worse.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

if you go motorized your best bet is a motor that spins the wheel not replaces it.

This is a key point. If for any reason the powered lift fails, you will still be able to get the boat on and off. I did have a issue with a power outage once due to a lightning storm. I was glad I could get the boat up and out of the water before the storm got worse.

This past spring I motorized my lift (after 12 years of cranking the big wheel) with a lift tech AC motor (link below). In case of power failure you use the included bit in your cordless drill to raise/ lower the lift. I tested it and it works but you need to have a strong, fully charged battery.

Link to Liftech boat lift motors

-Brad
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 12:47pm
Not exactly there Petey, most installers/mfr seem to really frown on the 120v motors out on the water now a days, too many knuckleheads not ensuring they are on protected circuits.

Power source failure can be an issue even at 12 or 24v and also things like motor failure, it's so much faster to spin down manually, same goes for going up until fully loaded and end of season getting the lift in/out without a easy way (wheel) to raise/lower the carriage is a huge pita.

The Floe screw drive and most motor's that replace wheels will have a spindle and drill attachment so you can still raise/lower the lift without power, takes forever and if you use a drill be careful or you will cook it, don't ask me how I know that, ughhh.
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 12:57pm
quinner:
Your input on the bunks being high enough...I was wondering about even the possibility of the skegs hitting the bunks too while bobbing and weaving in waves...not just hitting cross-members.
Sure it would be nice to be rich and have a high-speed hydraulic lift and all. That seems to be the prime lift. Short of having a boat house on pilings or built up from the bottom and then using the lifting rings. If one could leave a boat house out in a lake that freezes over and yet again be rich to build such a thing then sure.
I ain't rich.
So I'm looking at getting in for less money. Maybe stretch for the wheel motor. It seems I would have to get vertical guides.
Still and all with any standalone lift fancy or not...I'm not yet comfortable with what I've heard with the boat bobbing and weaving in rough water. Maybe the fact that people are NOT saying it's a problem...maybe I'm making too much of a deal about my concerns about hitting things or not being reasonably balanced on a lift. quinner is touching on something about getting the boat stabilized. That's good. That helps narrow down the focus. That's where my focus is. That time of chaos between floating, bobbing and weaving in the waves and being stabilized on the bunks. Then the boat gets nicely lifted out of the water with no worries. It's the in-between time that I'm wondering about.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 2:42pm
Yes you may be over thinking it, a properly set up lift is fairly idiot-proof under most any conditions, and infinitely better than mooring whips.

What body of water is it that has you so worried?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 3:42pm
Hmm...infinitely...I really like the whips. Quick and easy to release and re-hook. No re-tying knots. Just hook loops on (and un-hook) cleats and you're done. And no bumpers. As water gets rougher though they do get a workout. Or a surfer/wakeboarder goes by :(

Because I wouldn't want to leave the boat on the whips while I'm not there, I want the lift to not be swimming or rowing out and back to the anchor. That and to not have the boat in the water the entire season to avoid what I call the bathtub ring around the water line on the hull. I'm not interested in trailering the boat each time either.

I'm glad to hear it's idiot-proof. I've been sure it was in calm water. It's just that chaotic time between floating and resting on the bunks in rougher water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 4:00pm

Not exactly there Petey, most installers/mfr seem to really frown on the 120v motors out on the water now a days, too many knuckleheads not ensuring they are on protected circuits.

Chris,
What can I say besides I'm "old school"! I motorized it myself out of a DC gearmotor, build the DC control and modified the wheel/winch with quick disconnect pins to a sprocket set up connecting it to the gearbox. BTW, it's not on a GFCI!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 2:35pm
Quinner has definitely been there for me when I needed help and advice. He and Hollywood got my lift working when I first got it and since then I've been slowly tweaking it towards perfection. It's definitely difficult for me because we have a community dock and my boat slip is 10 feet wide perpendicular to the dock. Getting on is easy for me because I'm tall. My wife has to hop onto the bow a bit and pivot into the playpen area of our open bow SS. It's working well now, and next season I'm raising the lift to its highest point to allow for raising the cradle high enough to get Quinner's rowboat jig under it to do my own removal and placement.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 2:38pm
Shore station sells remote leveling legs now too. I'm not going to buy them because I'm close enough to where I want to be.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 2:47pm
Hey Quinner ....Shore Station now sells Lift Level'R legs that are backwards compatible with all of their lifts. This only substitutes for normal leg length as they don't yet have it for their deep water legs, but they do have it. I just looked again on their website before writing this note.

If I bought a new lift, I'd definitely get this feature because adjusting those damn pins under water is a complete Royal PIA.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by 96SNEFI 96SNEFI wrote:

quinner:
Your input on the bunks being high enough...I was wondering about even the possibility of the skegs hitting the bunks too while bobbing and weaving in waves...not just hitting cross-members.

Anything is possible if the waves are big enough, but we are talking about some pretty big waves to make that happen and quite frankly if it's that rough why on earth would you be out there in a 19' inboard competition ski boat, lol.

That's where my focus is. That time of chaos between floating, bobbing and weaving in the waves and being stabilized on the bunks. Then the boat gets nicely lifted out of the water with no worries. It's the in-between time that I'm wondering about.

Really don't see it being that big a deal, watch the video on the shorestion site showing the centering guide posts, will give you an idea of what I am talking about.
As mentioned, no worse then pulling up to the dock to hook up lines/whips, if it's wavy you will need to hold the boats position for the 5-10 seconds it will take to raise the carriage bunks to the point the boat is stable.

Shorestation Website

Peter, did not know SS had those new leg levelers, very cool, wonder how they work?
Are they worth spending extra $$$ on, definitely not on a lake where water level is relatively consistent like Deep Lake, once set I have never had to adjust my legs again going in/out to the same spot.
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 2:29am
Thanks again for your input.
For me, the pattern of boat usage is currently:
1. arrive back at place
2. contemplate swimming or rowing out to get boat...probably not 'til the next morning if it's warm enough and calm enough (out of shape old fart fair weather skier)
3. use whips at dock
3. enjoy boat a little while there
4. if strong winds come up move boat from whips to anchor...just because
5. leave it there until next use or swim/row the boat out before leaving

What I'd like to do is:
1. arrive back at place
2. lower the boat in the morning for that possible ski
3. continue to use the whips while enjoying the boat when we're there 'cause they're fast and easy and convenient
4. if strong winds come up then move boat from whips to lift...just because
5. leave it there until next use or move boat to lift before leaving

Basically wanting to stop using the anchor. That and minimizing bathtub ring as a bonus.

So the rough water would be when moving it in higher winds and maybe at the time before leaving.

No I wouldn't intentionally have a "19' inboard competition ski boat" out in rough water. lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 8:39am

3. continue to use the whips while enjoying the boat when we're there 'cause they're fast and easy and convenient

Someone,
I feel once you get used to the lift, using it to park the boat for short periods of time is just as easy as mooring it at the dock. For short periods of time you don't need to raise it all the way and It frees up you dock space.

You must be on some big water that gets pretty rough?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 9:23am

Someone,
I feel once you get used to the lift, using it to park the boat for short periods of time is just as easy as mooring it at the dock. For short periods of time you don't need to raise it all the way and It frees up you dock space.

You must be on some big water that gets pretty rough?

I recently bought a used lake lift with a cover. I will park the boat in the lift without raising if we won't be using the boat for a couple of hours, but want to keep it covered/dry if we get a unexpected shower, and it does have the advantage of freeing space at the dock..
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 9:55am
Rather than letting it float in the lift, think most folks run it up partway while not in use, it only takes a minute, and then no worries about a quick storm or surf boat banging it around.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Rather than letting it float in the lift, think most folks run it up partway while not in use, it only takes a minute, and then no worries about a quick storm or surf boat banging it around.

Jeff,
You must have periods of ADD like I do!

For short periods of time you don't need to raise it all the way

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 10:51am
Pete: Saw and naturally agree with your comment, I was just adding a reply to very latest post by dwound who said he parks in lift but doesn't raise it.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 11:30am
Honestly, it really doesn't take much to get the boat stable. How big do the waves get and how often do they get that big? Like Pete said, I think you will find parking on the lift, and then raising it maybe 3 to 6 inches will take you about 2 to 3 minutes, a lot quicker then messing with bumpers and ropes. Then if the waves start building, you spend another 2 to 3 minutes to raise it another 6 inches. Repeat as the surf builds until you have your boat high and dry.

What lake are you on? What Province?
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 12:38pm
Wow. Just thanks everyone. Getting people's real world experiences and ways and methods of using a lift have been totally helpful. I'm convinced now to not even use the whips. Return back to the lift after an outing and just lift it a little. Wind gets up...lift it more. Leave for the weekend... lift it clear and away from any bigger waves. If on an outing the wind has gotten up well then the vertical guides would do what they can to keep the boat somewhat straight. And indeed once the boat is stabilized on the bunks then it's all under control. Come back later if need be to better the position. The guides would help in not having the skegs hitting anything underneath.

I can worry about and deal with the seasonal in/out later. Flotation at first or wheels or some contraption to get the thing out of the lake and clear of ice is required. Or dismantle. We'll see what I can find. Probably wheels.

The boat is at yet another Green Lake just north-east of 70 Mile House in BC Canada. The lake is about 3500' up in elevation. It's about 9 miles long and about a mile wide. The area is what is called the interior plateau so there are no mountain ranges to speak of. Smallish hills and undulating landscape. That's why winds are unimpeded. The lake gets to about a maximum of 73° F at the peak in summer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 1:25pm
Go with the wheel kit. I have a universal fit all kit on mine. The installer put them on and detaches the wheels taking them to his next customer. Some lifts even have detachable tongue kits so you can hook up any type of tow vehicle to putt it out of the lake.

BTW, When cranked up, it would take a tsunami to even move the typical inboard on the lift.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 2:37pm
id be careful with just floating the boat in the lift in wind.

this summer we were playing on the lake when a storm rolled in. tied up the boat in the lift but did not pick it up at all. we have a super small lake so waves are never a concern when it comes to wind. we went inside for dinner and the weather got pretty rough, everyone said "oh wow! look at the boat" a big gust of wind picked up the shore station and turned it on its side around the boat. i jumped out of my jumped over my mom and ran to the window to see the boat lift sideways with 2 legs out of the water and half the canopy in the water. the lift was in pretty deep water so now it was floating on the boat still tied up, and floating across the lake. me and my dad ran outside in the thunder and light nigh jumped in the lake to cut the boat free from the lift.

i cut one of the ropes and the shore station came crashing down on my head. we pulled the boat out from under the lift and tied it to the dock. lucky no damage to the boat. the prop looked great. rudder and all looked fine. but the canopy got ripped up from the water when we pulled it out.

lesson learned. crazy evening. my mom said she now knows what it would look like if my first born son was droning in the lake.    i ran pretty fast.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 2:46pm
after we got the boat back to safty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by camron18 camron18 wrote:

tied up the boat in the lift but did not pick it up at all.    we went inside for dinner

Sorry, but you have a problem with the proper use of a lift.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic