Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 2:50pm
yeah thats the lesson we learned that day.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 3:59pm
Years ago, like many folks, we had a beacher. While we were there we would typically run it up the tracks only partway when not in use; and only run it all the way up when we were gone. Arrived back at the lake once to find a massive willow tree had fallen right behind the boat, missing it by literally inches. Had we been there it would have fallen directly on the boat and completely demolished it....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 4:27pm
Wow. Note to self...don't tie up floating things heavier than a 500lb lift to said lift
How is it that an aluminum frame dock with wood decking doesn't get pulled by a boat attached to it? Maybe the whips allow some cushion.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 5:01pm
It's not the lift that created his problem, it is the canopy attached to the lift. If you have a canopy it is extremely important not to leave the lift unloaded (meaning without a boat on it and supported by the bunks) other then when you are out on the lake of course.

The canopy can act as a sail in heavy winds, without the FULL weight of the boat to keep it down, the canopy and lift can literally blow away. Have seen it happen more then once.

Bottom line, if you have a canopy, obviously other than when you are out on the lake in your boat, you need to have a boat on the lift supported by the bunks. If your boat is leaving the lake for service, vacation, etc. either remove the canopy vinyl until you return or park another boat on your lift in the meantime!
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 6:49pm
Ooooohhhhh! Missed on the little canopy detail.
(sheepishly turns away feeling like an idiot)
Wife doesn't want a canopy anyway.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 8:23pm
I bought a used shorestation lift this summer and I must say I'll probably never be without one now! You can find used ones on craigslist. If you have lots of waves just lift the boat higher, the wheel is a workout going all the way up but its worth it. My boat has never been cleaner!
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 2:42am
Well I did it.I pulled the trigger on a used Shoremaster 3000 or 4000 lb vertical lift. It has the adjustable cradle that I'll need to re-arrange and convert to bunks. It also has the bases and posts for the vertical guides. I might just drop some black pvc pipe over it and call it done. The guides are kinda floppy though so we'll see how well they work in any wave action. It came with the engine stop but that won't be needed. I REALLY need to get some wheels on the thing. It's a bit of a bear to say the least. I'll see how I make out with the manual crank and then decide on a power option.
But I'm pretty excited for next season to get it all set up and using it instead of the anchor and lessening the bathtub ring. Thanks for everybodies input and ideas. If you know of some affordable wheel options please do let me know. I'm quite intrigued with the lever wheels or whatever they're called. I also found some fancy kind of jack idea. But boy these things get spendy in a hurry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic