NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just Bought this H&M Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 12:35am
I have seen worse and most seem to have trouble around the pylon like yours.The rest looks pretty good. Get yourself a powerwasher,clean her up try it out and see what you have.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 1:43am
I am allowimg myself to get slightly hopeful here. Pylon and floors are shot and coming out. Ill start testing the stringers tomorow and see what things look like. maybe drill a few test spots.
Last pic of the day

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 10:43am
I'm a bit late to this party but welcome to the site John and congrats on the 'new' and soon to be restored Mustang. I had seen this boat on a E-bay thread that a member posted and was seriously considering adding it to the Morfleet so that way each daughter would have a HM Mustang....One orange and One Sublime Green.
Seeing as how it was left outside in the manner that it was I doubt that you will get lucky enough to avoid stinger replacement but hey ...you don't know till you dig into it and get it cleaned up to see what you got. Dirt can be your friend as it can indicate cracks in your glass but also cover them up. Give it a hard looksee before you pressure wash it to see what you have.

Doing an inspection on my 72 I found the stringers and floor to be solid but will have to do a web replacement just in front of the battery box. It's rotten as the glass is disbanding from it and I could easily push a screw driver thru it if I tried with little effort.. I'll be sure to document it in TimBobs/Foots Mustang thread.

Glad you found us, glad to hear you're restoring it back to orginal. You'll have a head turner for sure when you get finished and after the first two WOW's you'll be glad you did. Look forward to watching this thread as you go. You came to right place for all your CC needs.!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2015 at 1:53am
Finally got this project moving a little.

Got the boat off the trailer and sent the trailer to be sand blasted and painted, new bunks, bearings all new crash pad hardware and carpet.

jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2015 at 1:59am
A couple more

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2015 at 6:00am
John,
The trailer looks great. It will even look better with a restored orange Mustang sitting on it! Are you planning on new tires and rims?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2015 at 7:05pm
The new tires are on it.

The lighting just doesnt show them well, I was trying to get close to an original look and went with these rimsRims

Tires

The whole package was about $170 shipped

A better shot of the tiresand rim setup

Note the expensive pile of douglas fir on the shop floor for phase 2
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2015 at 8:19pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 4:41am
I like what I'm seeing here.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 4:00pm
I like what I'm seeing here.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2015 at 7:08pm
Beautiful boat! I just took a little time to look closely at your engine and noticed some differences between it and the two I have. The most notable are yours has a circ pump, your alternator is mounted on the port side, your water inlet is very different from mine, the absence of a block off plate for the circ pump requires a different engine lifting loop, and both of my engines have a 2 belt sheave on the balancer, but only one is used and the alternator has a single belt sheave. Was this a 2V or 4V engine. I would like to see some more photos including the H/M tag located on the bell housing that includes the CR. According to my H/M book they ordered the 302s from Ford with 351 heads at some point after mine were made. One of the benefits of the H/M was it's lighter weight over the standard 289/302. The aluminum bell housing, no circ pump, the very small and light Jabsco raw water pump, and aluminum exhaust manifolds saved something around 75#. I have seen photos of H/M 351s and they look more like yours with a circ pump. The engine design could have changed sometime between the 69/70 boats and yours, or the engine could have been replaced at some time, I really dont know. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. The 260/ 289/302 Interceptor also had aluminum manifolds IIRC. You can also save about 30# by using a lithium ion battery over an optima (at significant cost) too. When dry the Mustang is already a light boat. Here are a few photos of my 4V engine for reference.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 2:49pm
I apologize. I was unaware that H/M changed the design of their 302 sometime after 1970. I hadn't seen one before. A case of foot in the mouth. Sorry.

jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 2:49pm
Best pictures I have for now of the H/M data plate

Its a 4V and the hour meter shows 297 hours but anything could have been done over the years. Not sure what you mean about the raw water pump?

Thanks for the thumbs up, I have wanted a H/M powered CC since I ws a teen and the Orange 1970s color put me over the edge.

I have the stringers out and pulled about 200# of water soaked flotation foam out of the hull (just like everyone else who does one of these) over the last few days. Ill try an post some pics later this weekend of the engine and bell housing.

jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 2:51pm
So should this engine have the 351 heads?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 3:02pm
Yes, most likely 351w heads- which isn't necessarily a good thing. As I believe ReidP has pointed out previously, the HM's got a few of the changes JohnB noted above around '72- circ pump being the most obvious. I believe they started getting standard 351w heads at that time, as did all other marine/HO 302's of the time from other companies (Waukesha/Palmer/Conq-Crusader/etc). This likely dropped the compression ratio down into the 9's or high 8's, and you'll notice HM no longer printed the CR on the data plate. The official hp rating stayed at 235hp, but I wouldn't be surprised if its closer to the more common 215-220hp that the other marinizers were rated at.

FYI, I may be interested in those old trailer wheels if you'd be willing to part with them.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 11:42pm
That ladder looks to be off a 60's century resorter. If it is it should be chromed brass. If you plan on removing it I would be interested
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 7:56pm
Any update?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic