NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just Bought this H&M Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 1:37am
Took a few more dash engine shots

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 1:43am
There was a guy on CCFAN in the last 12 months that owns a shop in Coastal South Carolina that does stinger work and boat restorations and repairs. Several of the members here had differences of opinions as to some of the modifications that he was doing to some older Correct Craft Boats which lead to a big discussion from him about doing what his customer had requested and how much time they were willing to pay for. Lets just say it was very educational. You may be able to find him via a search and others may remember his shop. If seems like he was working on a Barracuda and then was moving to a 85 ish 2001 ski Nautique. However, he is not in the Midwest. , but in the Southeast. .
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 8:54am
Nautilus Restorations.com
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 9:02am
Jake,
I have seen some other CC's with the Teleflex helm throttle/shift so I'd say it's original to your Mustang. CC went through some tough times so it was common for them to use any component they could purchase at that time. I can't comment on the stern ladder/railing. Tim or someone else may be able to fill you in. Is the ladder stainless?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 10:48am
Throttle/control is original, I have seen many of those (almost all were '73's). Reid has/had several.

I think Pete's guess on the ladder being stainless might be right. The rest of the rail is aluminum. Here is what my original ladder looks like.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 10:53am
Nice looking boat. Great project to find.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 12:41pm
Hey we are forgetting about Zach and N3 Boatworks in Indy. If you are serious about having someone else do the stringer work, I have seen some of Mark's work (he is their fiberglass guy), it is TOP NOTCH. It will be expensive though. Maybe you could save some money by doing the demo work before you deliver it up there. Would be worth a call to see what you can work out.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 4:05pm
It's not Mark.

Jon Swaim of "Indy Marine & Auto Body" is the shop connected to their dealership and does most all of their stringer/glass/gel/paint work.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It's not Mark.

Jon Swaim of "Indy Marine & Auto Body" is the shop connected to their dealership and does most all of their stringer/glass/gel/paint work.

Yep got my names crossed...
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 5:42pm
John Swaim redid my boat, it looks new, He is outstanding!
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 6:03pm
Love me some orange.    Looks like the mustang in the 73 brochure.

If I can ever be of reference to you, don't hesitate to PM me.

1973 CC Mustang
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by randall randall wrote:

Love me some orange.    Looks like the mustang in the 73 brochure.

If I can ever be of reference to you, don't hesitate to PM me.

Awesome CC you have there, and very original.

Thanks, I'm starting dis-assembly this weekend, Bagging and tagging and marking with masking tape. I figure if the stingers turn out to be to much for me having the hull prepped will save time and money.

jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 1:01am
I have read through many threads on stringer replacement but haven't seen much information on what measurements to make. I don't want to get to far along taking things out. I am especially concerned about motor mounts and the angle of the engine and transmission. Any input would be welcomed, and sorry if this has been covered previously.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 9:43am
There are 2 important things to get right on a stringer/floor job... First and foremost is engine position. Height of stringers in the engine area is critical, less so in other areas. Also distance from transom. Take a lot of measurements from fixed reference points- through hull fittings that won't change, pylon mount, outside transom, etc.   The 2nd (and less important thing) is to get the floor height right, as it will change seat/interior position if it ends up different. It's not uncommon to leave a small ledge as a reference point upon disassembly which can be removed once the stringers are in (before the floor install).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It's not uncommon to leave a small ledge as a reference point upon disassembly which can be removed once the stringers are in (before the floor install).

Dave
Just so you follow what Tim is talking about, the ledge is where the old floor meets the hull sides. As well as taking measurements from the hull, I also like to lay a board across the gunnels and measure down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 10:41am
I was also able to save the remnants of my old stringers to lay over as a template and as for the hull when i cut the stringers off there were lines left to sort of profile the new stringers .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's not uncommon to leave a small ledge as a reference point upon disassembly which can be removed once the stringers are in (before the floor install).

Dave
Just so you follow what Tim is talking about, the ledge is where the old floor meets the hull sides. As well as taking measurements from the hull, I also like to lay a board across the gunnels and measure down.

Great suggestion on the board over the gunnels method.

Thanks
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 1:40pm

There are 2 important things to get right on a stringer/floor job... First and foremost is engine position. Height of stringers in the engine area is critical, less so in other areas. Also distance from transom. Take a lot of measurements from fixed reference points- through hull fittings that won't change, pylon mount, outside transom, etc.   The 2nd (and less important thing) is to get the floor height right, as it will change seat/interior position if it ends up different. It's not uncommon to leave a small ledge as a reference point upon disassembly which can be removed once the stringers are in (before the floor install).

Great help,thanks! I am not sure I understand engine position as to height and angle.

Forward, aft and port starboard seems fairly straightforward to measure. not sure on how measure angle.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 1:54pm
I would do what Pete suggested & place a (straight) 2x4 over the gunnels. Then measure directly down to the engine mounts, both L & R. Do this for both front & rear. Then 4 months later remember where you put that little slip of paper with that data!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by jake613 jake613 wrote:

not sure on how measure angle.

Just like framing a house. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a Carpenter Square. It will look like a funky triangle, but set at 90 degrees.   You can also take out your middle school protractor. Dust it off first.

You really need to dig up Keegan's Thread from about four years ago when he did a Red and White Skier in his driveway. He works (IT Web-Site) for a Harley Dealer in Asheboro, NC and he would be a good guy to pick up the phone and talk to. He did a real nice job, but has not been around much since he works a lot of weekends and does not get to boat much. I think he is in the witness protection program since he dropped off the map.    
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 7:28pm
a smart phone camera and someone measure everything you can with a tape and some blue tape reference marks you can revert to the phone all through the project
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 9:21pm
I used to think that was a good idea until I jumped in at Quinners,lost quite a bit of stuff
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 9:57pm

Great help,thanks! I am not sure I understand engine position as to height and angle.

Forward, aft and port starboard seems fairly straightforward to measure. not sure on how measure angle.

I re-read what I wrote and confirmed I didn't mention angle?

If you get the height of the stringers correct where the engine sits, and put it back in the same place, then you will be close enough to align it. Engine angle is a function of stringer height and mount design/location. Don't worry about it.
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

not sure on how measure angle.

Just like framing a house. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a Carpenter Square. It will look like a funky triangle, but set at 90 degrees.   You can also take out your middle school protractor. Dust it off first.

You really need to dig up Keegan's Thread from about four years ago when he did a Red and White Skier in his driveway. He works (IT Web-Site) for a Harley Dealer in Asheboro, NC and he would be a good guy to pick up the phone and talk to. He did a real nice job, but has not been around much since he works a lot of weekends and does not get to boat much. I think he is in the witness protection program since he dropped off the map.    

Great reference on that thread, I hadnt read it yet, lots of good information there.
Still confused on refernce points for engine angle, used home depot protractor like device to measure transom and stringer angles but unsure how to determine the angle on engine mounts. Ill snap a picture of my mounts, they have a triangle shaped wooden spacer aft and mount to the stringers forward.
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 10:14pm

I re-read what I wrote and confirmed I didn't mention angle?

If you get the height of the stringers correct where the engine sits, and put it back in the same place, then you will be close enough to align it. Engine angle is a function of stringer height and mount design/location. Don't worry about it.

Ok got it, If the position is exact only one angle will work.

While taking pictures I tightened all the engine mount bolts and they all seemed to hold. There is no way I should get my hopes up on stringer condition.
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 10:21pm
Also have an unexplanied hole towards the front of the engine and roughly centered in the hull.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 10:36pm
The drain plug? How familiar did you say you are you with these boats?
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 11:00pm
Not very, Thanks

I'm up to speed on mechanicals but lots to learn on CC particulars.

I do apreciate all the help though, I wouldnt have even considered this project without all the good information and good people here.
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 11:10pm
The area around your mount doesn't show any signs of rust streaking and I don't see any areas of de laminating fiberglass. Have you tapped and poked around both stringers?
Maybe pull out a couple lag bolts from each side and see how they look/feel... Who knows till ya look!
Did the previous owner tell you it needed stringers?
Old school goin back to school!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 11:16pm
These little bad boys can be quite helpful at setting the engine angle. Pretty cheap too. $10 at your local home depot.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic