NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: September-26-2015 at 11:36am
Well its a sad day today. Going out in a few min to start the process. I have new oil and filter, plugs, rv antifreeze, some fuel stabilizer, 3/4 tank of fuel and fogging spray. Also have a new pump impeller to install as mine is toast. Then its off to the storage till spring....
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 1:28pm
I have a question, that's not clear from what I have been reading about winterizing.

If I run anti-freeze through the engine, should I drain all the water first. If not, are there items that should be drained of water?

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 1:35pm
Winterizing is good to do, because it shows you care for the boat. But - it is a sad thing to do. Good bye, summer.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

I have a question, that's not clear from what I have been reading about winterizing.

If I run anti-freeze through the engine, should I drain all the water first. If not, are there items that should be drained of water?

No, just put in the anti-freeze (if you are using the bucket method). No pre-draining required. You will be replacing water with anti-freeze solution everywhere. Then complete your winterization.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 1:53pm
forvicjr:   Why not wait until spring to replace the impeller?   That way the vanes on your new impeller won't potentially take a set during the winter months of storage. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference with a new impeller, but I always wait until spring to replace mine, and if I am re-using the same impeller the next season, I remove it from the raw water pump housing for the same reason.

Blamey: Every boat can be a little different, but on a typical engine there will be a drain plug on either side of the block, on the bottom of the raw water pump (RWP) elbow, and on the back of the exhaust manifolds. If you have a water strainer, you should empty the water from that as well. I usually disconnect the water line from the transmission cooler to the RWP since that is a low spot and doesn't drain.

If you winterize using the bucket method, you don't necessarily need to pre-drain, but I personally would run the engine with water until it is up to temp to ensure the t-stat is open before filling the bucket with marine/RV anti-freeze.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 2:12pm
I just have pulled the pump. Ill keep the pump out of the boat and install in the spring. Im pulling the manifolds too. Going with new gaskets. Im a tech for toyota and most of my tools are there. Ill carry the pump and manifolds to work and get them ready and reinstall in the spring.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

[QUOTE=Blamey] I have a question, that's not clear from what I have been reading about winterizing.

No, just put in the anti-freeze (if you are using the bucket method). No pre-draining required. You will be replacing water with anti-freeze solution everywhere. Then complete your winterization.[/QUOTE

I feel that it depends on the climate that you live in as well. If there's potential to see temps in the teens or fall below zero for days or weeks on end, there's no way that I would not attempt to drain all of the water first especially if you're using -50 degree antifreeze that has a freeze point that's in the low teens above zero UNdiluted (meaning that what's left in the engine or components is not mixed with any residual water). I personally drain all of the water, tell my wife that we're not going to be able to go out to eat for a week, and then spend $45 on 3 gallons of Starbrite -200 antifreeze. I then dilute and mix the -200 antifreeze 2 parts solution to 1 part water for a -120 burst protection and a -80 freeze protection, and run 4.5 gallons through the engine and other components using the bucket method. I sleep really well during the winter months when the arctic waves roll through.     
1992 Nautique Excel
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 3:14pm
Im draining and just filling the block. Im removing the manifolds as i type. They need riser gaskets and the drain plugs are frozen up tight. The manifolds and raw water pump will be cozy at my work getting fixed. Wont install till spring unless im super fast on these repairs. If thats the case ill tie wrap the impeller to my boat keys as a reminder. Lol
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 3:52pm
DO NOT add antifreeze without draining first!!! The RV is not meant to be diluted. There is NO guarantee that the antifreeze will push all the water out. Per the PCM manual (in the reference section), drain and pour in. It's easier that pumping!! All that I have ever used on any engine is a gallon. It will settle in the low spots.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 4:06pm
Pete I one uped ya. I filled with two gallons after draining then cracked the drains untill I seen the pink rv antifreeze come out. Lol thanks though... really appreciate it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 5:34pm
I did the Mustang yesterday. I drained the block and manifolds and using the bucket method ran 2 gallons in. I then drained it again and got all but 1/2 gallon back. The 95 all I do is drain the block,manifolds,cooler,and strainer,blow out the heater and v drive with air then fill with antifreeze and drain the block and manifolds again.Raw water pump comes off too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skiermanbrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiermanbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 8:33pm
You guys that use RV antifreeze, do you mean RV Waterline antifreeze?
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by skiermanbrad skiermanbrad wrote:

Yes. You can get it from any parts chain. Ive seen different brands and colors. Some is pink,purpleand blue. Its a safe antifreeze for camper plumbing,hot tubs pools and the forclosed homes often get it too. Its safe to drop in in spring and just fire your boat and go. No disposal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2015 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by skiermanbrad skiermanbrad wrote:

Reading from the label on the gallon I currently have, it says:

RV ANTIFREEZE

Getting technical, it's propylene glycol.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jeff N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2015 at 10:55am
If you are storing in a cold climate, why take the chance? Drain everything and put straight RV antifreeze back in. That way in January when the annual cold snap arrives, you're not worried about what you might find in the Spring.
Jeff N
05 - 206
89 - 2001
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Jeff N Jeff N wrote:

If you are storing in a cold climate, why take the chance? Drain everything and put straight RV antifreeze back in. That way in January when the annual cold snap arrives, you're not worried about what you might find in the Spring.

Umm. Not following. From my understanding thats what everyones doing.
skiermanbrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiermanbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2015 at 9:27pm
OK. RV antifreeze it is. I live in Texas, so In late November when I put my boat up for the winter (December-February) that's what I'll use.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 12:35am
Either way don't leave the impeller in there for the winter. What is the point.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

Dave,
It sounds like you believe the BS about leaving a impeller in for lay up creates flat spots that harm the performance of the RWP. I have NEVER removed an impeller on ANY boat for lay up and have NEVER had a problem. Also I have gone years without changing an impeller.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 7:47am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No winter removal of impeller.

I've made several comments regarding the practice of frequent impeller change being unneeded. I'm on my 29th year of owning my 1964 with the 312. I just opened up the pump to take a look at the impellers after at least 25 years. I really wouldn't have bothered since I had no cooling problems but the bottoms of the hoses at the pump where getting real bad. (soft/gooey from the RV antifreeze) No broken blades, some wear on the tips, some "set" on the blades but no set at the cam from winter storage and some blade warpage.

The bottom line is running them dry is the killer and the marina's are spreading BS all over.

Normal or proof?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 10:38am
I think it's a good idea to inspect every year. Changing every year is up to you. I think wether you change it or not I just think it's a good idea to leave it out for the winter. JMO.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 10:50am
I usually run my impellers backwards during winterization by hand with the hoses removed to get excess water out of the veins.

I leave the impeller backwards in the housing all winter then rotate by hand in the correct direction before re installing the belts.

This method always nets me 300+ hours on impellers.

My service indicator is if the boat gets a little warmer than normal at idle after a barefoot run. Then I know the impeller is getting a little mushy and needs to be replaced.
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 6:07pm

Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

Dave,
It sounds like you believe the BS about leaving a impeller in for lay up creates flat spots that harm the performance of the RWP. I have NEVER removed an impeller on ANY boat for lay up and have NEVER had a problem. Also I have gone years without changing an impeller.

Pete, if you leave the impeller in and do the drain and fill with antifreeze method, do you just drop it in and go in the spring, or do you need to do anything to lubricate the impeller? Im guessing the antifreeze level keeps the impeller submerged...so it doesn't get dried out?
99 Ski Nautique GT40
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 6:22pm
So Pete, now that you've got the 25 year old impeller out, you gonna put new in or are you shooting for 50?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Cumby Cumby wrote:

Pete, if you leave the impeller in and do the drain and fill with antifreeze method, do you just drop it in and go in the spring, or do you need to do anything to lubricate the impeller? Im guessing the antifreeze level keeps the impeller submerged...so it doesn't get dried out?

Glen,
The antifreeze that ends up in the pump lubricates the impeller in spring. Yes, it's just connect the battery and turn the key. I do like to squirt some gas down the carb. BTW, I've mentioned it before that I leave my batteries in the boat but just disconnected.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 7:22pm

BTW, I've mentioned it before that I leave my batteries in the boat but just disconnected.

Really? No trickle charge over the winter?

Hey, ive read some people drive around with the boat on the trailer after they fill with antifreeze. Do you think that is necessary, or OK to just drop the bow some, drain and fill?

Thanks
99 Ski Nautique GT40
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 8:42pm
Just depends how anal you are. I live on a hill & got the bow down hill - got an extra quart of water out.   
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 9:01pm

BTW, I've mentioned it before that I leave my batteries in the boat but just disconnected.
Really? No trickle charge over the winter
Thanks

Today's batteries in good charged condition will not self discharge to a point were they won't crank come spring. I've only had to hook up the charger once and that was after the boat was stored two winters and a summer and it only took a several minutes on the charger.
Be careful with a "trickle" charger. Some will over charge a battery. If you do want to use one, use a battery "maintainer".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 9:09pm

Hey, ive read some people drive around with the boat on the trailer after they fill with antifreeze. Do you think that is necessary, or OK to just drop the bow some, drain and fill?
Thanks

There sure are anal people out there that go way over what's needed! If fully drained, there's no water so there's no need to try and mix it up. Lowering the bow isn't a bad idea since the starboard block drain is forward in the block but, as Chris mentions, it does depend on the angle the boat is sitting on. I lower the bow if it's on a trailer but never if it's hanging in the boat house. Don't forget there is still the drain only method. I did it for years and now just throw in almost a gallon.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 12:00am
Pete now you got me thinking.....I was taught (maybe not the right way) to prefill the strainer basket with antifreeze and start her up. While running, pour 2 more gallons in the strainer basket and than fog the carb on the last gallon. Of course I drain the block, manifolds and elbow prior to the antifreeze. Is that over kill? Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic