Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 Sport gauge problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2000 Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000 Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 Sport gauge problems
    Posted: September-07-2015 at 10:22pm
Can anyone help with this issue? I have a 2000 Sport with keyless ignition. It's got 400 hours and has never given me any problems. A couple of weeks ago I got caught in a pouring rain. The next day I put in my code and got nothing. Wouldn't start and wouldn't even crank. I replaced the ignition code panel and everything worked fine. Now my digital tac and speedo numbers are half lit. I only get part of the numbers and sometimes the speedo doesn't work at all. Today the fuel gauge quit and when I hit a boat wake it started working and worked the rest of the day.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2015 at 12:06am
Digital gauges of that era and known to fail eventually, solution is to change all gauges. I remember there was a Faria conversion to analog.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 2:37am
Yes, Kapla is correct, the Teleflex Digital Gauges are know to fail and there is a Faria Analog upgrade for the 2000, 2001 and 2002 boats. Go to www.nautiqueparts.com and go to gauges to find the replacements. Use discount code PND for 10% off.   You can also call Zach at N3 boat works in Indy, they are a site sponsor and he can hook you up. They use code CCF for a 10% discount. See the banner up top of this page.

There is a Perfect Pass version and a non Perfect Pass version. Basically, you have to add a paddle wheel to the boat. The previous owner of my 2002 Sport upgraded my boat and I love the gauges. There are also GPS gauges out there as an option so you would not have to run the paddle wheel. Some have upgrade to Stargazer (GPS) Perfect Pass and they use the head to see speed and RPM to replace the tach or speedo. There are several ways to address this. I will add Stargazer in the center 3.5" place where the "N" is located and I will still have the paddle wheel speedo and the tach on the dash.

The Faria upgrade is about $350.00 and the Stargazer is about $1,100.00 -$1,300.00.

I hope this helps,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 12:29pm
Barry, I think you might be seeing two different issues here between the tach/spedo and the fuel gauge? I'm not sure Fuel, Volts, Oil & Water are susceptible to the same problems as the digital tach/speedo. I could be wrong but I haven't heard of as many issues with those as the tach/speedo. I'm sure someone will correct me.

Speedometer and Tach probably quit working with the help of that rain storm. Mine were the same shortly after we purchased our 01 SN, only seeing portions of the display. On a rare occasion, the Tach will come back and work good as new for a short period of time.

We replaced the spedo with PP Stargazer and haven't touched the tach since PP gives RPM in the same display. Only thing you lose is the hour meter which can't be recovered. Good thing is you have a brand new boat every time you ski (hour meter resets). FYI - there's no pre-drilled hole behind the center "N" logo Donald mentioned above. I left the saw on the work bench and replaced the spedo for "originality" sake.

I would suggest the Stargazer upgrade if you're doing a lot of skiing, course skiing in particular, or if you're married. My wife loves the speed control and uses it driving in the course, pulling free skiers or towing kids around the lake. It's also allowed some of the other less experienced drivers on our lake pull me in the course. I'm guessing the new units come with the upgraded Z-Box conversion which makes it a true GPS system but it's worth the $$$.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000 Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 5:43pm
Thanks to all........Great information. I tend to agree with the two different issues line of thought, as the fuel gauge regained good function when I kit a boat wake, while the speedo and tach continued to be a problem. I wondering if it's a grounding issue with the fuel gauge. Does anyone know where the fuel gauge grounds? Also, does anyone know where to buy the thumb screws that hold the dash pod?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 6:22pm
On the older boats, the fuel gauge sender wire is essentially the ground, with the sender providing variable resistance to ground and the fuel gauge basically an ohm-meter.

What you're working with is a little different, but some of the same principles must be in play. One quick check, is for tightness of the sender wire at the tank.

I know nautiqueparts has those thumb screws, others may as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000 Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 6:29pm
Can anyone share any installation experiences with the Faria gauge conversion for 2000 Correct Crafts. I'd like to convert the speedo and tach, but it seems I will need to drill a 2" hole in the hull to install the paddlewheel. I'm not too crazy about that.
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 4:32am
I bought both gauges direct from farina as opposed to the kit. The Speedo connected directly to one of the existing pitot lines. No paddle wheel needed.

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 4:33am
I mean faria.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 6:59pm
Barry, question is how much money are you willing to spend to avoid drilling holes?

We removed the tach and replaced it with the Stargazer unit from Perfect Pass. It give you a GPS speed and Tach reading on the same display. Not to mention the "Marriage Saver" element in speed control.

If you want to replace both you can also add in a GPS speedometer from Perfect Pass at a more cost-effective price. I've heard great things about them but don't have any first hand experience with the product.

Give Zach at N3Bpatworks a call as he's knowledgable with all the options and can help you source the parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000 Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:00pm
Thanks Guys
Much appreciate the feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic