NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine motor belts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine motor belts
    Posted: September-03-2015 at 6:33pm
How 'marine' are marine belts? Is it one of those items where if they tag it 'marine' they can charge triple, or is there actually any difference between the PCM and Ford/Motorcraft belts?
Not that I mind paying some extra, but the regular belts I can get here in town, PCM would have to come from the US, at extra time and extra extra cost.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 8:20pm
I've got belts from NAPA in mine and a spare set of belts on the boat at all times.. A good quality cogged automotive belt should do you fine.

Here is a recent discussion on belts check it out....... Belt Tension
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 4:41am
Use a quality belt and you will be fine. Gates, Dayco and Goodyear are considered quality belts. Beware, all three companies make premium belts and entry level. The premium belts are a better product, they will last longer and stay quieter.
If Mercury Marine wants a private label Mercury belt they will call one of those manufacturers and get them to make it. It won't be anything special it will just have their name added to the belt.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 5:57pm
I'm sure a cheap belt would make belt dust and clogged the flame arrestor.
Tim D
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2015 at 3:39am
Cheap belts have less of the good stuff in them.
Good belts have all the cording for strength at the top of the belt where it is the widest so they are the strongest. Many cheap belts put the cording dead center in the middle of the belt where it is exposed to more heat and is not as wide so the belt is a lot weaker.
Good belts have 3 to 5 layers of thinner cording at the bottom of the belt where it is very narrow. This cording is slip stock. When the belt is slammed under a load it will dig deep in the pulley and try and wedge there. Slip stock lets it slip quietly while the pulley picks up speed and then grabs quietly and does its job.
All this refers to standard old fashion V belts not the newer Poly Rib belts.
It costs more to make them right and they do perform better when made right regardless of what brand you buy.
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2015 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

I'm sure a cheap belt would make belt dust and clogged the flame arrestor.

Don't forget misaligned or rusty pulleys will chew up a "Good Belt" and plug a flame arrestor in a very short time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic