Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 Sport Nautique back bench?/ Good boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
kbpgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbpgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 Sport Nautique back bench?/ Good boat?
    Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:02pm
We are going to look at a 1990 Sport Nautique tomorrow and I cannot tell by the pictures if there is a back bench seat.   Can a knowledgeable nautique person let me know and is this boat a good starter ski boat for a family.   We need the HP to pull my large husband out of the water and we want the boom to teach the kiddos!

Is 1100 hours reasonable for this boat?

Thanks KB Pgh
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 1:28am
Is this it?

Looks like there is a towel or something across the backseat but yes it has one. 1100 Hours is not bad depending on how it has been maintained. Reading some of the stories on this forum lately I suggest having a compression check done.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 1:48am
It would be a good starter ski boat for sure. The main thing to watch for is that is a wood stringer boat, so you would want to check that the stringers are solid.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 1:59am
One of the pictures in the listing that I linked to looks like there is water in the bilge. Hard to tell but if has been stored with the plug in then it could have filled with water. Not a good sign in regards to stringer condition.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

It would be a good starter ski boat for sure. The main thing to watch for is that is a wood stringer boat, so you would want to check that the stringers are solid.

Agree. In my opinion the price is too high also. But if all checks out, make an offer? End of the season. There was a 94 here in Orlando listed on Craigslist for $6995.with 450 hours.
Our Ski Nautique was one of the best Family investments of all time! Good Luck with your search, I think you will agree.
Js
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 8:32am
Price is definitely high considering it's appearance. Wood stringers are definitely a concern. I believe '92 was the final year for wooden stringers.

1100 hours isn't bad if the preventative maintenance was done on a regular basis, but I would definitely have a shop go over the boat for good measure.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 9:17am
There are some Pittsburgh CCFans, maybe one of them could go look at it with you, another set of knowledgeable eyes can always help.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
kbpgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbpgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:16am
Thank you all, yes that is the one.   I can't tell from that picture about the water, we will see. The guy that owns the marina is the seller for one of his lake customers. He's really nice. I'm not knowledgeable about stringers. I need to read up. Anyone know the Pittsburgh cc fans? I'd like to write to them.   How is a compression check done?

Driving out there at 11 am today EST 1 hour drive.   Anyone available by phone ?

Thanks, Katie
kbpgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbpgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:18am
ps. Yes if we are liking the boat, we intend to offer him much less. Nada says 7K with trailer which is only 3 years old apparently.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:51am
It's overall pretty dirty and the vinyl is well worn (back bench probably trashed). Gel could use a buff and fresh decals. Rode hard and put away wet. Probably plenty of corrosion in engine bay and behind dashboard (electrical gremlins). Any fiberglass repairs in the bilge or around the fins, strut and prop underneath?

You could do much better with $7,000.

Then again it might run fabulous and give you trouble free enjoyment. Nobody knows.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:16am
Welcome to the site Katie and you've come to the right place to find answers to your questions about purchasing a new to you Correct Craft. Stringers are the primary sunpport structure of the boat or basically the same thing as a LOAD bearing wall in your house. CC's used Fir wood to make the stringers up until the end of 1992......1993 is when Correct Craft went to an all composite system. Fir wood is strong but the downside is that wood ROTS! Most boats are left outside to the elements "Because its just a boat" and water will eventually find its way to wood and start the rot process. The water sitting in the bilge of that boat for however long is a concern for just that reason. Check out the CCF FAQ thread for answers and tons of information on what to look for. The Stringer Inspection link is a video I threw together a few years ago to help you inspect the stringers. Tons of great info in that thread for pre buying and general questions that are asked over and over again to those who are new here and are trying to educate themself. The more you know the better off you are as a buyer and can use the knowledge learned here to talk down a seller if you find a things wrong with the boat that they don't know.

Welcome to CCFan and keep us in the loop.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:25am
Timbob, edit your 1994 to 1992, 93' first year of composite except maybe the Excel's
kbpgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbpgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:31am
Hi again! Wow I wish I had joined this forum a lot sooner! you guys are awesome!!! Going to watch your video now! :) THANK YOU!   I will stay active here!!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Timbob, edit your 1994 to 1992, 93' first year of composite except maybe the Excel's

Oooooop . Typo... guess I shoulda had on my reading glasses...... Thanks for catching the Boo Boo!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 1:20pm
I think a compression check is a little much for a boat in this price range, but that's just me. An interior costs more than a long block, after all. So does a new trailer. It's not like these boats have $20K outboards on them. Interior condition is my #1 priority, followed by exterior condition, trailer condition. If the boat idles and pulls hard I'm not going to expect the owner to have me towing it to a shop to be inspected, having some unknown wrench monkeys crawling all over it. I know as a seller I'd move on to a more reasonable buyer.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 1:40pm
Yeah right, Joel! Compression testing a $10k sport nautique seems reasonable to me. (You did it for me on the '90, remember?) A test drive with acceptable performance would be sufficient as well.

I agree with most who say this is a 5-7k boat at best. The early sports were not highly sought after compared to the '93+ models. Still a perfectly acceptable ski boat but it's not in high demand.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 1:45pm
From the looks of the interior and exterior I'd start in the low 6's. Doesn't look like the proper trailer for an inboard no guide poles to start.
Buyers market now since the seasons just about over
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 2:04pm
If it runs and drives well, 5k is what I would pay, and only because it is/was Blue
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 7:59pm
KB
How did the test drive go???
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yeah right, Joel! Compression testing a $10k sport nautique seems reasonable to me. (You did it for me on the '90, remember?) A test drive with acceptable performance would be sufficient as well.

I did a lot of stuff 13 years ago that I would not do now. History shows that the money in a boat like that goes to upholstery and other non-engine stuff. Do keep in mind everyone that a new Ram-Lin single axle will get you into the 4K zone and any 25 year old CC trailer is at the EOL stage. Also IIRC I did the compression check out of my own curiosity and just happened to have the numbers on hand. 10K boat? Please. Common sense should be all that is required on the test drive, and I'd say the same thing for a 50K boat. I bought my 93 without even a test drive for an undisclosed, nontrivial amount. Again, common sense goes a long way. Edit: I'd do the compression check on a rare engine that actually costs 10K to rebuild. Maybe a BMW S38 or S14 motor or a Ferrari, etc. SBF in a boat? Forget about it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:33pm
Joel as I don't totally disagree I have to say that for some of us a 10k investment in a toy is a BIG investment.
If a first time buyer doesn't know how a boat should perform then the test drive may feel like it is all that and a bag of chips only to find out that it's only performing to half its potential and 6 months later you have to drop another 5 k into a motor job. There's a lot of people don't have the ability or know how to yank a motor and are now at the mercy of a marina to do the work $$$$ So being cautious is not that far fetched of an idea.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I think a compression check is a little much for a boat in this price range, but that's just me. An interior costs more than a long block, after all. So does a new trailer. It's not like these boats have $20K outboards on them. Interior condition is my #1 priority, followed by exterior condition, trailer condition. If the boat idles and pulls hard I'm not going to expect the owner to have me towing it to a shop to be inspected, having some unknown wrench monkeys crawling all over it. I know as a seller I'd move on to a more reasonable buyer.

Maybe I'm missing something. I suppose I'd let a potential buyer who seemed to know what he was doing, and had the equipment to do so, do a compression test on site, but no way would I let a complete stranger, with unknown trailering skills, haul my boat off to some unknown so-called mechanic to monkey with my boat.

Sometimes you just gotta trust your ears. I bought my SW, 35 years old at the time, now 41 years old, based on a less-than 5 minute start on a crappy leaking fake-a-lake my wife was underneath trying to keep tight. 6 years later, barring a few very minor issues, it has done just fine (knock on wood).

That being said, if I ever sell it, I'm an honest and fair guy. Feel free to bring all the tools and gadgets you want, but leave your trailer ball behind unless you're gonna buy it...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:04am
It is never out of the question to compression test an engine of any age of any price if it is advertised as running properly. I compression test $400 outboard motors before purchase! It's non-invasive, not sure what the issue is. $10k is a bigger boat purchase than I've ever made as well.

Also disagree with the trailer comment but I'll leave that one alone for now.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:22am
To clarify, like I said, i would never deny a compression test on site. I would also be more than glad to go with a potential buyer to get tested and inspected at the mechanic of his choice, assuming it is within reasonable distance.

What I meant was I wouldn't let a stranger haul it off by himself to some unknown place, that's all.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
kbpgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbpgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:24am
Hi all - Well went and tested the 90 Sport and although my eyes/or small computer screen didn't show the crappy interior as well as you all saw, you were totally right, it was in sad shape, mold stains, etc. We knew right off the bat. The engine ran strong and sounded great but.....the dials and needles didn't work, the hour dial read 627 but they had told me 1100 and so really they had no clue, the boat veered hard left so rudder bent or something nasty, water under engine. Bilge pump sounded helpless. He would only comedown to $8,500 and only knew boats history last 3 years so we said thanks but no thanks and are revisiting the idea of another boat out of state....lemme tell you about that one.....

It's not a sport. It's a 90 Ski closed bow. It's original owner. Plaque on front even has his name. Lived at same lake since purchase.   On lift and garaged whole life. Needs new carb probably but still runs great. He took us out on it a couple of weeks ago while we were on vacation. A little surging on low speed, but he was getting that looked at. Interior pristine. Dials and needles all work. 725 hours, which is quite low, yes? He sold his lake home and done boating for a while. Divorce we think. He started at 10.5K.   got him to 9K. Comes with original trailer but trailer not titled which is problematic in PA, paperwork hoops galore. But can be done, eventually. Not sure lights work on trailer, also. small stuff. Anything wrong with boat can be fixed.   Called him last night and now he says 7K cause he knows we didn't want to go that far and also didn't want to fuss with the trailer hassle.   We really like the boat. Wanted open bow but I think for this boat who cares!!   Oh and he's throwing in Extender (tall) boom, side boom, tubes, skis, wakeboards, ropes, life jackets, etc. He wants green cash only. Not cashiers check. That normal? But he will sign bill of sale/ and title of course.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:30am
I would not just let anyone who responded to an ad start pulling my engine apart. Want a compression test? Your welcome to watch while I do it-----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kbpgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbpgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:32am
And ps glad that 10K is trivial to some of you, lucky you!!! But it isn't to us! :)
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:48am
do you have pictures? In my opinion, a 1990 SNCB at 7k is a little pricey at this time of the year. I think you can find a 1993 for that price if you're willing to wait a little...deals will come up, that's for sure.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by kbpgh kbpgh wrote:

. Not cashiers check. That normal? But he will sign bill of sale/ and title of course.

Yes it is relatively normal... I have never paid for or sold a used boat or car with anything other than cash.   Whether he doesn't trust the check or whether he is not going to report the whole price to the wife, government, whatnot... its typical. You need to know what sort of bill of sale you will need to register where you are, if its a dmv form that you both need to sign to cover the sales tax requirements better to bring it with you than try to track him down later.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 11:18am
Agree with Joe, cash is normal.

Disagree with scoot that $7k is high for a pristine NWZ, that's a pretty good price. You just sold your 2001 for more than that man, get with it!

Personally, I think open bow inboards are overrated, at least until you get into something the size of a '93+ sport or '03+ 206. The closed bow 19' boats offer much more usable interiors and storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic