NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waterline, Draft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterline, Draft
    Posted: August-31-2015 at 6:48pm
Take the back seat out. Dig in the foam at the back corners or go under the dash in the center and stick something in the foam and see it it's wet down there. Full tank of gas, back shouldn't sit more than about 3 1/2" below water.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 10:07pm
Todd,
many have pulled their boat over a truck scale and then compared the result with the weight spec. It's not real accurate but it will indicate a wet foam problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Ziggster Ziggster wrote:

I see lots of comments about how high/low boats are sitting in the water in pics along with comments about wet foam, wet stringers, etc. How far up should the waterline be in general? I would think graphics are a good reference point for this. Also I was thinking that the mfg.s spec for draft could be marked on the hull by measuring up from the ground to the lowest point when on a trailer or lift and add that to the draft..

It's called a "Plimsoll line". The Plimsoll line is a reference mark located on a ship's hull that indicates the maximum depth to which the vessel may be safely immersed when loaded. This depth varies with a ship's dimensions, type of cargo, time of year, and the water densities encountered in port and at sea.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Todd,
many have pulled their boat over a truck scale and then compared the result with the weight spec. It's not real accurate but it will indicate a wet foam problem.

Actually that can be pretty accurate, once with boat on trailer, then once with empty trailer. Subtract trailer weight then compare to original specs on reference page.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 12:21am
I think Tim's method would be the only true way to find out. Weighing one would only work if every boat weighed the exact same as the one the factory weighed. What if he weighs his and its say 30 pounds over? Is it wet or was more glass and resin used?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 12:34am
Agreed but Only meant in broad numbers,
But weighing should be able to tell if it is grossly over weight. If he posted a photo it would help.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2015 at 12:27pm
My Mustang 17 has the same sluggish symptoms at lower speeds also. Knowing that I was going to replace the stringers when I bought it, I started checking the foam in several areas. Foam looked good for the most part. Then I dug deeper. Against the hull it was saturated for at least an inch. Directly under the floor and several inches deeper it showed very little indications that there was a problem. Point being, dig all the way to the hull before making a judgement. Bet I have pulled out 400 pounds of saturated foam and waterlogged rotten stringers. Wished I would have weighed the boat for a before and after weight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic