NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley Rebuild Kit (302 HM) >> 6049?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley Rebuild Kit (302 HM) >> 6049?
    Posted: August-30-2015 at 7:34pm
So I did not have my glasses on, asked for some help in getting the # off the carb on the Mustang does a 6049 sound correct / familiar for this set up?
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2015 at 8:24pm
Better go get the glasses Greg,I don't think there's any of us HM owners that have the original carb. Mine had a 2bbl,TimBob's had an automotive,and Johnb has some monster carb.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2015 at 8:50pm
Will be taking glasses and magnifying glass with me to the lake on Wednesday night. Hoping that someone can provide some instruction either before the Badin Lake Mini or at the start of as the Mustang such as it is could be a small communal boat for those without
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 8:38pm
So with the magnifying glass I have found the following stamped on the carb

D CFF 9510 -D

LIST 4473. 082[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 9:15pm
Greg,before you buy a kit put some more pictures up of that carb up. The 4473 I pulled up on the net was not a marine carb----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 9:20pm
Greg, I almost believe that automotive carbs were indeed installed on these motors from HM. Looking closer at mine, and the Orange 72 on eBay a couple weeks ago they are one in the same. I find it hard to believe that that many carbs failed or what not that the owner replaced the OEM with an Automative one.. Seems to be to commonplace here as of late know that I'm playing a little closer to the finer details on other HM's I see. Give me a holla if ya need a Chinese Blueprint or other info.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 9:34pm
Now this is bound to start some discussion, but a 4473 is a marine carb.

The boat is old, the carb is old and marine Holley carbs have not always had J tubes.

I think it was about 1977 or maybe a year or 2 later when they showed up.

You can go to Summit Racing and buy a carb kit for a 4473 marine carb for about 40 bucks. The Holley renew kit number is 703-1.

You probably also have externally adjustable primary and secondary floats cause they disappeared about the same time the j tubes showed up.

By the way that's a 450 cfm carburetor which is logical for a 302.

Regulations change from time to time and that's what made the J tubes show up.

I still have a 600 cfm marine Holley floating around with no J tubes and externally adjustable floats I know the history of that carb from the time the boat was new.

So the logical question is "are the later carbs safer?" They must be.since they were shall we say mandated.

A call to Holley would verify that J tubes weren't always there

KenO

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:54pm
Fair enough. The list that was recently posted did not even list it. Found one on an old ebay listing,nothing was said about marine. My old 2bbl was just a carb nothing special about it. Distributors are not ignition protected either,but I converted mine by adding a screen.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

A call to Holley would verify that J tubes weren't always there

Last spring when I called Holley for some info,it seems they purged their records of older carbs. They had no records of the pre 90's marine carbs I had. So don't be disappointed if they don't know the details about it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 4:27pm
I also have no doubt that tims was the original carb on his boat. It was the same as the HM that hangs out in my garage. It isn't automotive, it was a marine list number cross when I called holley about it 4 years or so ago - there just has been some changes in the state of the marine art since then.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2015 at 5:22pm
With a bit more consideration I pulled the trigger and ordered the rebuild kit today. Anxious to see if this helps with rough idle / backfire issues
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic