Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good Beginner Wakeboard

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SteveHookEm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Beginner Wakeboard
    Posted: August-21-2015 at 2:18pm
My son wants to learn to wakeboard. I would like to get him a good beginner wakeboard, nothing too expensive in case he decides that he'd rather stick to skiing. But I want one that's decent enough not to be frustrating to learn on and then use for awhile.

He's 17, about 170lbs, 5'10"
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 3:13pm
Should be able to get some good closeout deals. I have a liquid force witness 136. I'm a bit shorter and lighter. He may want to go a tad bigger on the board though. Maybe get a different model in a slightly bigger board like a 137 or 139.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 4:07pm
liquid force trip is a great board that's easy to ride and he can progress on. look at a 138 with helix bindings. I've put everything from 5'6" 120# girls to 6' 200 guys on it. I bought mine new for around 300, closeout, clearance, or ebay will be cheaper.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 4:21pm
Thanks! Which liquid force? they have so many! haha Are they different other than the graphics?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

liquid force trip is a great board that's easy to ride and he can progress on. look at a 138 with helix bindings. I've put everything from 5'6" 120# girls to 6' 200 guys on it. I bought mine new for around 300, closeout, clearance, or ebay will be cheaper.

Looking for the LF with Helix bindings. Do you happen to have a closeout or clearance link? I'm seeing $400-500 for that!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 6:09pm
OK, I got a Liquid Force Trip with Trip bindings and a rope for $305 after $50 discount and expedited shipping. I'll take it!

Thanks for the suggestions.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 9:37pm
with a rope? nice. make sure it's non stretch.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

with a rope? nice. make sure it's non stretch.

It's the Gladiator EVA Wakeboard handle and 75' of line. It says "provides less stretch and greater strength than polyethylene rope". It should be fine to start.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gladiator-EVA-Wakeboard-Handle-With-75-Static-Line&i=44433
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 12:52pm
when I started i was about the same size as your son. I bought Hyperlite Vashon 140 off ebay for like $50 back in 2003. It was and still is a great board to learn. super stable, easy to get up on and pretty decent pop off the wake. I still have the board and ride it from time to time.

I upgraded to Liquid Force 136 and notice that it is a very loose board and beginners tend to hate me when they have tried it. But it is a more aggressive board and has better pop. Being as i weigh a little more now and its a shorter board, it takes about 1 second longer to get out of the water than the Hyperlite. That could be my driver being timid on the throttle though.

I got my wife Obrien Siren 135 as she has never been on a wakeboard before (but loves snowboarding). She got up the first try. I was hesitant about the inexpensive cost of the board and bindings...but it seems to work.

So, just keep an eye out on ebay for 138-140 boards. If he likes it, then you can spend the $$ on a nicer board.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic